• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went small game hunting almost daily as an adolescent, usually with a crossman pellet rifle, but haven't hunted in almost 50 years.

Thinking I would love try going again, especially with a muzzleloader, but live in a city, don't own land, and wouldn't have a clue where to go anymore. 🤔

I went small game hunting almost daily as an adolescent, usually with a crossman pellet rifle, but haven't hunted in almost 50 years.

Thinking I would love try going again, especially with a muzzleloader, but live in a city, don't own land, and wouldn't have a clue where to go anymore. 🤔
JD, the Crossman 760 put a lot squirrel and rabbit on the table when I was a kid.
Good Ole Days.
I know we like for the be able to use a Muzzleloader for squirrel hunting. Not sure where your at but, is there any public hunting areas near by?
Best time ya, hope you can find a wildlife management area.

Take Care Stay Safe.

JD, the Crossman 760 put a lot squirrel and rabbit on the table when I was a kid.
Good Ole Days.
I know we like for the be able to use a Muzzleloader for squirrel hunting. Not sure where your at but, is there any public hunting areas near by?
Best time ya, hope you can find a wildlife management area.

Take Care Stay Safe.
Yea, am dating myself, but had a Crossman 160 not the much improved 760. I don't even know the laws here anymore, am sure they're not the same as they where in the late 60's - early 70's. You know how our ruling marxist oligarchy loves to regulate everything enjoyable until it isn't enjoyable any more. Am sure what I did as a kid would be considered poaching now, and public land is scarce in TX.

Will have to look up where to buy hunting license, am sure they still have those hunters education courses, and ask if they have information on seasons and locations. Maybe I'll ask around at the club to see if any local ranchers / farmers wouldn't mind letting me do some pest control on their property. Who knows, maybe can try something bigger like ferral pigs.

Last edited:
Yea, am dating myself, but had a Crossman 160 not the much improved 760. I don't even know the laws here anymore, am sure they're not the same as they where in the late 60's - early 70's. You know how our ruling marxist oligarchy loves to regulate everything enjoyable until it isn't enjoyable any more. Am sure what I did as a kid would be considered poaching now, and public land is scarce in TX.

Will have to look up where to buy hunting license, am sure they still have those hunters education courses, and ask if they have information on seasons and locations. Maybe I'll ask around at the club to see if any local ranchers / farmers wouldn't mind letting me do some pest control on their property. Who knows, maybe can try something bigger like ferral pigs.
Texas has quite a few State Wildlife Areas. You can purchase the license online. Depending on your age you may be exempt from any hunter Ed requirements.

Very seldom. In fact, hardly ever do I see a copperhead and never have seen a rattlesnake here or Tennessee.

Whenever a dog gets bitten by a copperhead, they swell up kind of bad but very seldom do the dogs die. After the second or third snake bite, they become immune to it.

In terms of myself (unless I were to get bitten on my right leg that 8 months ago got a new knee, or perhaps my jugular vain) I’ve made up my mind that if I get bitten by a copperhead, I’m not going in for medical treatment. Won’t be fun but I’ll get through it.

The old timers here used to wrap the bitten area with a rag soaked in coal oil.

I'm a Georgia native and am extremely familiar with the snakes down there. In Virginia where we lived for about 10 years a guy in town lost a great deal of the use of his hand due to a copperhead bite on a finger. He also went straight to the hospital, otherwise it likely would have been worse.

But back to Georgia near where we lived. During one deer season a hunter climbed down from his stand and was immediately bitten by a canebrake. His son heard him scream and called the EMTs. It took about 15 minutes to get his dad to the road where the EMTs had parked. But he was dead before they could do anything else. 15 minutes!!

For those who aren't familiar with the canebrakes, they grow to be very large and very deadly. Zoologists tell us that the venom of the deep south canebrakes has for years been becoming more and more toxic. It is not known wnether it's due to environmental factors or whether it's evolving naturally somehow.

I'm a Georgia native and am extremely familiar with the snakes down there. In Virginia where we lived for about 10 years a guy in town lost a great deal of the use of his hand due to a copperhead bite on a finger. He also went straight to the hospital, otherwise it likely would have been worse.

But back to Georgia near where we lived. During one deer season a hunter climbed down from his stand and was immediately bitten by a canebrake. His son heard him scream and called the EMTs. It took about 15 minutes to get his dad to the road where the EMTs had parked. But he was dead before they could do anything else. 15 minutes!!

For those who aren't familiar with the canebrakes, they grow to be very large and very deadly. Zoologists tell us that the venom of the deep south canebrakes has for years been becoming more and more toxic. It is not known wnether it's due to environmental factors or whether it's evolving naturally somehow.
I’m glad those things are not here.

I've read every post on this thread, some of more than twice. I'm not saying I remember ever word of ever post but remember alot of what was said. I know all of us, although different, upbringing, different ways in our present lives, we all share alot of similarities. I feel we could be dropped off in the middle of nowhere with minimal provisions and make it out alive. We've all had ups and down some tougher than others. We have different Critters in our hunting grounds. Some could hurt us, some could down right kill us. The last thing I want to read here is that one us got bite by a snake. If it happens that Individual may make it and then he may not. If it does happen I feel that Individual needs to get help fast. We may be tough but we are all just men, we are not immortals.
So let's all hope it doesn't happen and if it does PLEASE GET HELP ASAP.

Take Care Stay Safe

Beware of stepping over a log to the sunny side.

...Zoologists tell us that the venom of the deep south canebrakes has for years been becoming more and more toxic. It is not known wnether it's due to environmental factors or whether it's evolving naturally somehow.
Hadn't heard that, and I don't like it, since I live dead (no pun intended) center of their range. Timber, canebrake, banded, whatever the local name you use [ LINK ], Crotalus horridus is bad medicine.

Ya’ll worry too much. It ain’t healthy to do dat.
Shouldn't worry about about something so much that it keeps you from doing what you enjoy. Flip side of that coin, a little cation you can keep doing the things you like until you're ready to sit on the porch.

Trust me, snake bites are no fun at tall.

Back