• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it’s never going to stop this year. Been that way since spring. Can’t do very well squirrel hunting in wind like this. At least the storms and rain has went away for a while.

I spent half a day yesterday trying to hunt in wind like this, again. It makes it almost impossible. I was able to get one squirrel but only because he finally decided to come down the hickory tree that I knew there were 4 squirrels up in. The trouble was, with wind like this, it’s one of those “now you see them, now you don’t” scenarios.

That one squirrel finally decided to come down the tree head first. Its back was completely facing me. At the long distance of about 12 yards, the squirrel paused for a brief couple of seconds. The shot entered through the back just behind the front legs. After a while when I finally gave up hope for the others, I eased over and picked up my squirrel. I was surprised to find it was almost completely gutted. The entire belly was gone, along with all the entrails. Never seen that happen before like that. My guess is, it had something to do with the concussion against the tree.

Tried my luck on a couple of others in a different hickory but it was useless with wind like that. I knew they were up there. So, until this wind decides to go somewhere else, I don’t see things improving much, if any at all.

Trying to get the video to play but it too is fighting me.
One better than a goose egg ol buddy. The gutting effect you talked about happened to me years ago. Similar scenario, but I was using my wife's .22 Mag unmentionable. Pulled high, hit him mid back and picked a ton of oak bark out of the body cavity from that bullet hitting that tree. Unfortunate because I was just using a length of para cord tied to my belt at the time to carry the squirrels out. Took a long time with the hose to clean that joker out.

One better than a goose egg ol buddy. The gutting effect you talked about happened to me years ago. Similar scenario, but I was using my wife's .22 Mag unmentionable. Pulled high, hit him mid back and picked a ton of oak bark out of the body cavity from that bullet hitting that tree. Unfortunate because I was just using a length of para cord tied to my belt at the time to carry the squirrels out. Took a long time with the hose to clean that joker out.
Kind of interesting for sure.

I just got back from scouting my land. No luck; didn't see anything. But the leaf and bush/brush canopy is huge this year due to abundant Spring rain. Almost impenetrable in spots. May have to wait till the leaves fall.
Stan, welcome to my world, bud. Its very thick woods this year here as well. Much thicker than last year. About all a man can do is to try to find a hole up through what I call the "secondary canopy" to try to shoot at squirrels up in the taller trees. It is very trying indeed. Patience is key and a whole lot of luck never hurts either. However, I still love being out there regardless.

Last edited:
Sorry about the wind Ed. I hate it! Hang in there it’ll get better.
Thanks, Jim. Just something else to have to work through until its over for a while. I know one thing for sure. I look soooooo forward to squirrel stupid season this year when squirrels are running everywhere. I'm way far behind where I want to be for this time of year, in terms of squirrels. The weather has not been kind all year here for squirrel hunting.

Last edited:
What a nice, clear, cool and beautiful morning. About 55 degrees and, you guessed it, wind still rocking and rolling. There’s at least 2 squirrels up in a big hickory close to my house. They are out, and they are cutting, but trying to keep up with them up there is an issue. Then trying to hit one way up there as they are swaying all around would be a challenge for sure. I’m not overly interested in killing squirrels here at the house but they are a good gauge as to actual conditions at my nearby happy hunting grounds. The wind will most of the time be about the same as well. Sometimes it is possible to avoid the wind over there by walking to the other side of a hill.

Weather folks forecasting about the same wind conditions again for tomorrow. It’s gotta end some day.

Last edited:
The weather has not been kind all year here for squirrel hunting.
Same here. Talk about a dichotomy! Monsoon downpours from March till June. Now hot dry days approaching drought with no precipitation forecast for the near future. Our water Co just sent out a plea to conserve. The little branch that runs through my property, which is a branch of Little Canoe Creek, is dry with only a few stagnant pools. I was surprised at how deserted and desolate my property appeared, even with super-thick brush, understory, and tree tops. Just odd.

Same here. Talk about a dichotomy! Monsoon downpours from March till June. Now hot dry days approaching drought with no precipitation forecast for the near future. Our water Co just sent out a plea to conserve. The little branch that runs through my property, which is a branch of Little Canoe Creek, is dry with only a few stagnant pools. I was surprised at how deserted and desolate my property appeared, even with super-thick brush, understory, and tree tops. Just odd.
Interesting for sure.

I vividly remember a few questions on my commercial pilot written exam from back in 1990 about weather. A few of those were:

1. What causes wind?

Correct answer was: Pressure differences.

2. What causes pressure differences?

Correct answer was: Uneven heating of the earths surface.

In other words, and coincides with the texts books, water, plowed fields, grass, forests, pavement, etc will all emit different amounts of solar radiation.

3. Where does the earths weather come from?

Correct answer was: The sun.

EDIT: I just remembered one more.

4. Every physical aspect of weather is the accompanied by, or is the direct result of?

Correct answer was: A heat exchange.

Last edited:
My daughter in Michigan gave us another granddaughter Sunday. We’re going out this Sunday for a few days to help out with her other kids and to see her. I KNOW I’m going to see black squirrels. They drive me nuts lol. I gotta get one!! Their season isn’t in yet though.
Congratulations on your new Granddaughter 👏
Grandkids are great.

Have a safe trip and enjoy.
As far as the black squirrels don't let the temptation get the best of ya.😉

My daughter in Michigan gave us another granddaughter Sunday. We’re going out this Sunday for a few days to help out with her other kids and to see her. I KNOW I’m going to see black squirrels. They drive me nuts lol. I gotta get one!! Their season isn’t in yet though.
Congrats Jim! Safe travels.

Congratulations on your new Granddaughter 👏
Grandkids are great.

Have a safe trip and enjoy.
As far as the black squirrels don't let the temptation get the best of ya.😉

Thanks fellas. Grandkids are a blessing for sure. Can’t wait to spend some time with them.

I’m leaving my guns home so there will be no temptation lol.
Always slingshots in a pinch 😉🤣

Back