• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t know if I can make this work or not.

Guess not.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.png
    IMG_2517.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That’s how I eat my squirrels Ed. 15 minutes in the pressure cooker, debone and add bbq sauce. Good stuff but I still want to try it smoked. I have a friend and neighbor who has a smoker. I’m going to ask him to smoke some for me.
That’s right. I knew someone told me that’s how they cook their squirrels, just didn’t remember who.

I still like smoked better but not by much.

Hi All

I’ve been following this thread with great interest and was hoping to ask a few questions if OK?

A bit of background....

I'm a long time hunter and shooter and my woods buddy is currently my teenage son. Last year we started working on switching our deer hunting from modern inlines to traditional ML's. This year our entire deer season will be old school. He's a great, throwback kind of kid and I am so enjoying our time in the woods and away from all the BS life throws at us.

We now want to go through the same process with small game hunting. We are up in New England and primarily hunting rabbits and squirrels when we can't get deer or turkey.

Rabbit/squirrel season here runs 4/5 months, so we go from lazy, late summer days to bitter cold winter hunting in Jan/Feb. We currently use 10/22's

We want to start with getting the right gear, spend some time at the range this fall and "hopefully" make the transition in the latter part of this season. This leads me to a few startup questions.

We are pretty well covered with general hunting gear and ML supplies. We currently use Schuetzen FFF powder, Hornady .50 balls and cut our own patches at the muzzle. Assuming this is all OK to just size down for squirrel rifle hunting?

I am firmly committed to 32 caliber for this, and it seems like the Crocketts are the big player here? Are there any other options? I'm looking for something that will work and be as affordable as possible. I'm far from wealthy, and because I'm doing this with my son, I need to buy two of almost everything. I may throw up a WTB post in the classifieds but want to know what to look out for as options?

I would also love to hear any "if I could go back and do it differently, I'd have done this" type of advice when it comes to getting supplied up for this.

Trying to be smart here and maximize my value. I have a copy if Ed's book coming and am also going to look through that before I jump in...

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
Hi All

I’ve been following this thread with great interest and was hoping to ask a few questions if OK?

A bit of background....

I'm a long time hunter and shooter and my woods buddy is currently my teenage son. Last year we started working on switching our deer hunting from modern inlines to traditional ML's. This year our entire deer season will be old school. He's a great, throwback kind of kid and I am so enjoying our time in the woods and away from all the BS life throws at us.

We now want to go through the same process with small game hunting. We are up in New England and primarily hunting rabbits and squirrels when we can't get deer or turkey.

Rabbit/squirrel season here runs 4/5 months, so we go from lazy, late summer days to bitter cold winter hunting in Jan/Feb. We currently use 10/22's

We want to start with getting the right gear, spend some at the range this fall and "hopefully" make the transition in the latter part of this season. This leads me to a few startup questions.

We are pretty well covered with general hunting gear and ML supplies. We currently use Schuetzen FFF powder, Hornady .50 balls and cut our own patches at the muzzle. Assuming this is all OK to just size down for squirrel rifle hunting?

I am firmly committed to 32 caliber for this, and it seems like the Crocketts are the big player here? Are there any other options? I'm looking for something that will work and be as affordable as possible. I'm far from wealthy, and because I'm doing this with my son, I need to buy two of almost everything. I may throw up a WTB post in the classifieds but want to know what to look out for as options?

I would also love to hear any "if I could go back and do it differently, I'd have done this" type of advice when it comes to getting supplied up for this.

Trying to be smart here and maximize my value. I have a copy if Ed's book coming and am also going to look through that before I jump in...

Thanks,
Scott
Welcome. Glad to hear you are raising a feral kid. Myself and Fred (Gum Slough Muzzleloader) were both feral in our younger days. Several of us have Crockett's and all enjoy them. They are as accurate as you can be. Whatever you decide to get as far as small bore, there are guys here that can and will help. Enjoy the journey.

Hi All

A bit of background....

We want to start with getting the right gear, spend some at the range this fall and "hopefully" make the transition in the latter part of this season. This leads me to a few startup questions.

Thanks,
Scott
Hello, Scott.

Its a wonderful thing to hear when folks say they hunt with their teenage son. Kudos for you! You're doing it right, IMO.

It sounds like you already have the basics covered. As for the calibers for small game/squirrel hunting, I personally can only see two. One being the .32 and the other being the .36 caliber. It really is personal preference. Myself, I am sold on a .32 for squirrel and rabbits for all but perhaps windy days. Some older folks have issues trying to handle the small .310 round ball, but there is a better way. That would be by use of a loading block. Its not one bit difficult to load the loading block at home while sitting at a table. I now carry two loading blocks which gives me 12 reloads. It does require precut and pre-lubed patches.

In terms of squirrel hunting during windy days, I don't do it for the simple reason that it is very difficult and frustrating to even find any squirrels up in trees that the limbs and leaves are moving. So the latter one is not an issue either.

Another plug for the little .32 is, its an economizer. Easy on powder (20 grains) and lead. It makes little noise on the shot which is a huge benefit IMO. Out of 96 squirrels I've killed in the last year with my .32, I was only able to recover 2 round balls. All the others went completely through. Trust me, a .32 can still do major damage to a squirrel. Considering its inexpensive to shoot and will kill squirrels just as dead as a .36 caliber a t normal squirrel hunting distances, but with less damage overall, I simply do not see a reason for me to change. Again, its all personal preference.

Now lets cover caliber availability. I do not know of one manufacturer that builds complete .32 caliber or .36 caliber traditional muzzleloaders, with the exception of Traditions with their .32 Crockett squirrel rifle. There may be some others out there, but I am not aware of them if there are. To be honest, this is why I jumped on a Crockett rifle. I wanted something new and they were the only ones I know of at the time anyway. In terms of a .36, and if you want to do this the real traditional way, Kibler makes and sells excellent kit rifles, but they are flintlocks. Those kits do not require much labor to finish. They are, more/less, assemble with stock finishing. Some people have assembled their Kibler kits in one weekend. They are spendy but well worth it if you are set on a new .36 or even a .32 caliber ML.

There are some used traditional small caliber muzzleloaders out there to be had. They are few and far between and may or may not have flaws. The one thing you want to avoid is buying one sight unseen without seeing a pic of the inside of the barrel. Rust is not good. Some of the old TC Cherokees, Seneca's, and CVA had a few older traditional .32 and/or .36 calibers. Also, every now and then an actual original small caliber ML rifle will show up.

Once you find a small caliber traditional ML you like and are getting to know it better, I would like to submit one piece of advice. That would be to pay attention to what you are doing during the loading process. Do not allow yourself to be distracted. Talking while reloading is asking for problems. Also, with every step, say it. Say it out loud every time. Powder, tap, patch, ball, *Run it Home*, meaning make sure you completely seat the patch and ball against the powder. That one can really come back to bite you out in the woods during a fast reload when a squirrel is looking at you, or, more squirrels running around after the first shot, or whatever. By use of a loading block you are already reducing the reload process some. Its basically just powder, tap, push the patch and ball down through the loading block into the bore, then *Run it Home". Last but not least, cap it (if its a percussion). I say this quietly to myself every time no matter where I'm at.

Also, be aware at the range. Unless its a ML only range, I can promise you that you will have some folks interested in your ML. They will ask you all kinds of questions, which is a good thing. However, it also opens the door for mistakes. I seldom go to a range but after making a mistake one time, due to talking with folks, I now tell them that I will go over this in a little while, or at least after I have finished reloading.

Feel free to ask all the questions you like. I do not claim to know it all by no means. There are others out there more experienced than I so perhaps they can fill in the gaps.

Also, your book was mailed a little while ago. :)

Last edited:
Thank you both for the replies and great advice. I will keep progress updated here...

I was a feral kid too growing up in the 70's and 80's. My buddies and I hunted, fished and lived the lives of castaways. At least until the streetlights came on.

My son will be the same, and I will be leaving all of this gear to him someday so he can do the same with his own kid....

Welcome to the gang Scott. The above advice is right on. I’m glad you’re getting Ed’s book. Lots of good info in there.

I have a Crockett and a kibler .36 flintlock. Both guns shoot great. I personally like the flintlock better and .36 cal better also. It’s just my preference.

You’re probably better off getting the Crockett if buying two. You won’t go wrong with it.

I look forward to seeing you and your son’s first squirrels with a muzzleloader!

Thank you both for the replies and great advice. I will keep progress updated here...

I was a feral kid too growing up in the 70's and 80's. My buddies and I hunted, fished and lived the lives of castaways. At least until the streetlights came on.

My son will be the same, and I will be leaving all of this gear to him someday so he can do the same with his own kid....
Heck yeah. If more kids got to run feral in the woods and on the waters, they wouldn't be getting into the drugs and all that manure. And it's good to know, if the SHTF, they could feed themselves with game and fish.

Welcome ScottK.
I really enjoyed your post this morning. Love the fact you and your Feral Kid is getting into hunting squirrels with a Muzzleloader. Ed's book is great, Chuck full of information. A big bound is I know he and others will take the time and answer any questions you may have to the best of their abilities.

I too have a Crockett Rifle, last year was the first time use a small caliber PRB. I use to use a SxS Muzzleloader Shotgun. I'll use it again but for now it's the Rifle.

Best of luck, I hope you find you a good deal on a couple small caliber Rifles.

Take Care Stay Safe

Keep us posted.

GSML

Just did a quick search, several places have them in stock (allegedly), all within 5-10 bucks of each other around $550.00. Some of those places offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount. Not sure how far you are from Kittery Trading post, but they are showing in stock. If you wanted to handle one before you ordered one if that's the way you are leaning. A new nipple and ramrod are about the only things you'd need early on. I'm thinking of getting another one myself.

Just did a quick search, several places have them in stock (allegedly), all within 5-10 bucks of each other around $550.00. Some of those places offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount. Not sure how far you are from Kittery Trading post, but they are showing in stock. If you wanted to handle one before you ordered one if that's the way you are leaning. A new nipple and ramrod are about the only things you'd need early on. I'm thinking of getting another one myself.
Why the nipple replacement and what do you recommend? Is it just a known issue with these rifles?

I have a couple of range rods and a folder for hunting. Do standard diameter rods fit into a .32 barrel or do I need a set of thinner ones for the Crocketts?

I still do not understand the large patch of hide that was missing. It was clean and freshly removed. I would say it was close to two inches in diameter.
I'm suspecting something to with that stick that fell or some other thing that might have been whacked into the squirrel.

I found the squirrel video on fb. That is hilarious. Especially at the end as he is panting.

Here's a try at posting it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref...f3a31a11&q=The crowd went wild squirrel video

Back