• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving along here, I really don’t know what this voodoo or magic spell is that can overtake a hunter such as myself. I’ve been a die hard big game hunter for about 50 years now. Couldn’t wait until bow season opens every year. I lived for it.

Bow season opens here on Saturday. I’ve been procrastinating big time on just getting my crossbow off of the wall and test firing it a couple of times to ascertain everything is still okay. Well, I just got in from doing so and let me tell ya, to my astonishment, I practically had to force myself out there to get it done.

Ever since taking up this squirrel hunting gig using a .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle, that’s all I think about or want to do. It’s crazy! I honestly do not understand this. How can a rodent take the place of a deer?

Either way, no store bought meat comes into this house. It is, and has been most of my life, wild game. So, it’s looking like I best get with the program, grin and bear it while waiting for some bigger groceries to walk within bow range. Hopefully, I can get two for now then get back to my beloved squirrel hunting for a little while anyway. Then hopefully get my other two deer about rut time.
To everything a season my friend!

Always amazes me when sitting in a deer stand, how many squirrels I see and I always have the same internal conversation "go get your rifle and get some shooting in."

Moving along here, I really don’t know what this voodoo or magic spell is that can overtake a hunter such as myself. I’ve been a die hard big game hunter for about 50 years now. Couldn’t wait until bow season opens every year. I lived for it.

Bow season opens here on Saturday. I’ve been procrastinating big time on just getting my crossbow off of the wall and test firing it a couple of times to ascertain everything is still okay. Well, I just got in from doing so and let me tell ya, to my astonishment, I practically had to force myself out there to get it done.

Ever since taking up this squirrel hunting gig using a .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle, that’s all I think about or want to do. It’s crazy! I honestly do not understand this. How can a rodent take the place of a deer?

Either way, no store bought meat comes into this house. It is, and has been most of my life, wild game. So, it’s looking like I best get with the program, grin and bear it while waiting for some bigger groceries to walk within bow range. Hopefully, I can get two for now then get back to my beloved squirrel hunting for a little while anyway. Then hopefully get my other two deer about rut time.
It's a trip, but I understand. I told my wife I was thinking about taking my Crockett Rifle on my muzzleloading hunt. She said can you shot a deer with that? I said we'll it leagal, and would have to a perfect well placed shot, but there are so many squirrels where I hunted last.

I don't know about you guys, but the reason I love the small game hunting is it's the closest thing to what we were all doing when we were kids.

I also hunt Deer and Turkey. Not to the extent Jim does and congrats on that grand slam! I will have the time someday...

Those both require planning, stands, decoys, vests, trail cams and/or whatever else you've armed yourself with to get the job done..

Squirrels I will just grab my son on a whim, throw the rifles in the car and go randomly walk in the woods somewhere. No big planning or too much gear involved. Just like hitting the woods after school...

We've actually blown hunts a few times because we'll get to talking about something and it just turns into an evening woods walk with guns and guy talk. Again, just like with my friends years ago, so I don't really mind....

Last edited:
I get it completely Ed. As you know, I’m an avid turkey hunter. I’ve killed them in thirteen states. Shot the grand slam. Yesterday I was driving down the road thinking about squirrel hunting. I thought “if I had to give up one, which one would it be?”. I thought about it for awhile. I believe I’d give up turkey hunting first!!

I’m glad they aren’t both in at the same time. Lol
I was really hung up on turkey hunting for quite a few years myself. I still look forward to it every year.

I don't know about you guys, but the reason I love the small game hunting is it's the closest thing to what we were all doing when we were kids.

I also hunt Deer and Turkey. Not to the extent Jim does and congrats on that grand slam! I will have the time someday...

Those both require planning, stands, decoys, vests, trail cams and/or whatever else you've armed yourself with to get the job done..

Squirrels I will just garb my son on a whim, throw the rifles in the car and go randomly walk in the woods somewhere. No big planning or too much gear involved. Just like hitting the woods after school...

We've actually blown hunts a few times because we'll get to talking about something and it just turns into an evening woods walk with guns and guy talk. Again, just like with my friends years ago, so I don't really mind....
To me it's the Kid part.
Feral Kid to top it off.

Thankful for the memories, and the fact that us older guys are still looking forward to getting out and hunt squirrels. Then we can all tell each other about what experienced on our hunts.

Turkey season is relatively short though I do extend it by hunting out of state. But squirrel season here is about 5 months.

If it’s rainy or windy I stay home and work. Don’t need to be in a tree at o dark thirty, don’t have to constantly be washing my clothes and spraying them down and worrying about my stand location and which way the wind is. Now this is bow hunting I’m talking about.

My point is for me it’s just layed back hunting. NO competition at all. If I miss a squirrel it’s not the end of the world. There’ll be another one along.

Some of my friends shake their heads at how much I enjoy squirrels.

Oh well, I’ve rambled on enough. Just some thoughts.

To me it's the Kid part.
Feral Kid to top it off.

Thankful for the memories, and the fact that us older guys are still looking forward to getting out and hunt squirrels. Then we can all tell each other about what experienced on our hunts.
2 more Saturdays and I get to be feral again for a short while. My Crockett keeps whispering up from the safe the past few mornings around 4:30 "is it time yet??!!". I swear my squirrel rifle is as impatient for the season to start as ol ETipp😉

Turkey season is relatively short though I do extend it by hunting out of state. But squirrel season here is about 5 months.

If it’s rainy or windy I stay home and work. Don’t need to be in a tree at o dark thirty, don’t have to constantly be washing my clothes and spraying them down and worrying about my stand location and which way the wind is. Now this is bow hunting I’m talking about.

My point is for me it’s just layed back hunting. NO competition at all. If I miss a squirrel it’s not the end of the world. There’ll be another one along.

2 more Saturdays Jim!

2 more Saturdays and I get to be feral again for a short while. My Crockett keeps whispering up from the safe the past few mornings around 4:30 "is it time yet??!!". I swear my squirrel rifle is as impatient for the season to start as ol ETipp😉
Now, that's Impatient.
"Not yet, soon, very soon, it will come"

Pretty much anybody I tell about squirrel hunting, laughs a little. They ask why would I do that? Do you eat them? Or, well I did that as a Kid but not anymore.

I tell them, because it enjoyable, yes I eat them, and I like to be that Kid again.

Some folks just don't get it.
To be honest brother Fred, I'm glad the majority of guys "outgrew" squirrel hunting. Less folks I have to see in the woods.

To be honest brother Fred, I'm glad the majority of guys "outgrew" squirrel hunting. Less folks I have to see in the woods.
It used to be on WMAs during small game season wild hog was prohibited. Then a few years ago in an attempt to help keep the wild hog population under control they added them to legal to take list. No size limt or bag limit. The number of hunters increased. So for the first 2 or 3 weeks I hunt in areas that are less likely to have a bunch of pigs running around. They can be anywhere though. After that's the woods have less hunters.

It used to be on WMAs during small game season wild hog was prohibited. Then a few years ago in an attempt to help keep the wild hog population under control they added them to legal to take list. No size limt or bag limit. The number of hunters increased. So for the first 2 or 3 weeks I hunt in areas that are less likely to have a bunch of pigs running around. They can be anywhere though. After that's the woods have less hunters.

I’m still the only ML squirrel hunter that I know in this neck of the woods. I like it that way. There is another guy I know that squirrel hunts but he hunts with dogs during the late season and uses an unmentionable. I do not know of anyone else that squirrel hunts.

Us traditional ML squirrel hunters are a small lot.

Ah ha, that’s it! God only created a few truly unique people. The rest don’t squirrel hunt. 😇

Last edited:

You got that right, Jim. Much less work to do for squirrel hunting. Much less paying attention to detail, more laid back and it doesn’t cost me $35.00 most of the times I pull the trigger. That’s with me building up my own arrows. Also, so far I haven’t had to climb a tree for squirrel hunting, but I reckon I would if a bear got after me.

Tis a great sport squirrel hunting with a traditional ML indeed. One like no other. I do often work at it harder than most, but not always. I actually enjoyed what few times I’ve done the sit-and-hunt thing and killed squirrels. Find an active tree and it’s on.

😂 There’s where you mess up. I sleep with my Crockett rifle. I just reach over and smack it a couple of times and tell it to be quiet until it’s time to get up or else it stays home………oh, wait a minute.

Always amazes me when sitting in a deer stand, how many squirrels I see and I always have the same internal conversation "go get your rifle and get some shooting in."
That’s the worse. Having to sit there with squirrels all around yet you can’t do a thing about it, other than watch.

Our bow season opened Aug. 31 I still have not even picked up a tag. I'm not sure why, I've spent more time in the woods with my bow then all other hunting put together. Seven days and a wakeup for squirrel opener and I'm more than ready.

That’s the worse. Having to sit there with squirrels all around yet you can’t do a thing about it, other than watch.

Years ago near Flagstaff we used to take our squirrel rifles deer hunting, wed swap to the squirrel guns after the deer settled down late morning, hunt squirrels til early afternoon, then back to deer guns. it was glass, stalk and slow walk hunting. It wasnt ML squirrel guns, we used indoor target loads or short hp loads in the squirrel guns so as not to alarm the deer unnecessarily. Not sure if you can get ML squirrel loads light enough to be that quiet.

In good squirrel years we figured we did nearly as well meat wise hunting squirrels as deer, certainly better if we didnt get a deer.

I trained one of my malamute dogs to squirrel hunt. She would look at them in the tree, Id tell her "Go around the tree" and she would, of course the squirrel then came around to my side.....

They also make good grouse dogs with little training. Walk in the woods in the mountains, dogs walking ahead, the grouse were often on the ground, they would flush and fly up and sit in a tree, dog stays to watch it until I get close enough to see where theyre looking and shoot it. I can usually hear them flush but not see them yet or where they landed. The dogs basically point them until i get there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back