• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

209 Shotshell adapter for caplock ML's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These things have been around in one form or another for years. I expect they even work just fine,too. Thing is, if you think about it, so do #11 caps or whatever size fits your rifle. I've never been able to come up with a good reason to uglify a pretty side lock rifle with one of these protuberences---but then I've never had a percussion rifle fail to fire. If you are having ignition problems, there are usualy simple answers that don't cost $15 or $20 plus ruinous shipping and handling fees--but then again, I find tuning front loaders a soothing past-time.

Has anyone tried this? Wonder how this works?

http://www.hubbardsoutdoorproducts.com/mag.html
http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-spark-start.html

Mag Spark 209 Shotshell adapter for caplock ML's.

Never tried one...seems like if you used one in a traditional styled sidelock you might be missing the whole point of learning and using a traditional sidelock...I know they use modern 209 shotgun primers in modern inlines.

If you're having ignition problems, consider posting your particulars and maybe the forum can come up with routine fixes without you having to resort to "going modern" on us
:: ::

if you think about it, so do #11 caps or whatever size fits your rifle.
CAPS???? WAUGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Here's the best remedy, Read very carefully. Lay gun down on a soft cloth so not to mar it. Next remove lock and wrap up neatly in a paper towel. Find nearest dumpster and toss towel in. Now buy a flintlock replacement, install touch hole liner and now ya got a real bp gun :imo: Just pushing buttons haha. Try the conversion with the modern primers. It might be just the ticket :redthumb:

No it AIN"T just the ticket. First off they are ugly. Second there is no REAL benefit to them, Third you have to screw the top off place the primer in, screw the top back on, fire, screw the top off, remove the primer, put in new primer, screw the top on, etc. Takes a lot longer than putting a cap on. And forth, it is just WRONG. ::

It's WRONG and UN-Natural!

Any ignition problem with a cap-lock (when using real Black Powder) is the result of sloppy or faulty cleaning and/or loading techniques. Only in rare instances is the design of the drum, nipple and breech so faulty as to promote miss-fires. Even then venting the drum is a better alternative to hanging some obscene modern primer firing doo-dad on the rifle.

:imo:

Great sales pitch though...almost had me figuring out a way to put one on my Brown Bess.....NOT! Actually the sales pitch was pretty dishonest.

:nono:

Rat

hmmmmm it sounds like it has to be fired by a FIRING PIN....would that make it an out of line in-line :crackup:..........bob

These things showed up on the market a year or so back. I see no reason why they would not work although I would worry they might damage my hammer/spring with blow back. I am sure the idea is to put as much fire down the hole as possible while at the same time have the waterproof abilities of the 209 primers.

Cayugad,

I bought two of those 209 shot shell primer adaptors several years ago. Tried them on a Lyman Trade Rifle, percussion ignition. Some bp subs gave me ignition problems in this rifle. I thought the 209 primers might be the answer, especially when I played with the then new 777 powder.

Problem with these 209 primer "adaptors" is that the 209 primer puts out a lot of residue. Which works back up and around the tiny "firing pin" in the adaptor. After about 5 shots the pin would no longer move and fire the primer. And cleaning this little adaptors is tough.

For a hunting rifle where you would want 1 or 2 absolutely sure shots they are great. But to shoot a large number of shots with one adaptor is simply out of the question.

These gimmicks have been around in one form or another for about thirty years. They pop back up every few years like the Ginsu knives on T.V. Only the Ginsu knives will actually cut something.

I admit I looked them over, but never bothered with them. I must be blessed. My rifles shoot fine with #11 caps. I even shoot one inline with #11 caps and the thing works fine. I have shot pyrodex, triple se7en, and clean shot and the #11's worked fine. Of course 99% of the time I shoot Goex.

hmmmmm it sounds like it has to be fired by a FIRING PIN....would that make it an out of line in-line :crackup:..........bob

Do you mean a side-assed inline?

Something that is already un-natural is mutating. Definitely a scary thought.

The same thing (or one that looked identical) was around 20 years ago but using a small-pistol centerfire primer. That's like selling you a heavier shoe to make your car faster. If you think you need it, you don't have the ignition system designed for the weapon figured out or don't have the proper philosophy for owning a muzzleloader to begin with.

Primative weapons are SUPPOSED to be a little cranky or obstinate. That's why its a challenge.

I refuse to buy anything related to muzzleloading that has the words "Improved", "Radical", "Innovative" or "Patent Applied For" in the description. Everything I need was patented 180 years ago . . . or developed before patents existed.

Actually I believe it would be a "Sideline".

:hmm:

Rat

Well said. I don't why these folks want to take an elegant and functional firearm and hot rod it with tacked on junk. Just looking for a way to make a buck, I guess. They get so busy with the doing of it that they don't stop and think whether it's even necessary. Next thing you know, they decide that the powder and ball and priming should all get loaded at once and all of a sudden they've re-invented the Winchester!

A friend of mine put that on his 45cal. T/C Hawken back in 1980. I never knew why and he didn't either after he did it and took it off. You have to unscrew the top to put a new primer on. Drop that top and you wil be very upset, while you look in the leaves or in the snow. A poorly maintained gun will not benefit from a this and a properly maintained gun has no need for it. :m2c:

Thanks for all of the replys.
I did send an inquiry to the maker of this gizmo.
A friend of mine that does not have web access was wondering. I was wondering if they work and it sounds like they do in hunting or limited shooting situations.

Might be of value in rainy weather or for use with synthetic powders.

BTW, I never said that I was having trouble with caps, maintenance, technique, nostalgia or otherwise. In fact, I have several ML's. Percussions and inlines.
Perhaps I'll even venture into the Flint pond at some point.

Thanks again.

You could always get a musket cap nipple for your gun and go with the larger musket caps...

A plus when fingers are cold and numb...

But, what really does the musket cap give you, other than a biggere cap for cold fingers... It fits looser and can actually fall off - of course I sqeeze mine a little to make them fit tighter - and do they really give you any more fire than a #11 Magnum Cap, or if you believe the advertisement the #11 Remington cap which is suppose to be 33% hotter than the standard #11...

You can't use the musket cap with a #ii nipple. You would need to get a musket cap nipple. They are supposed to be quite a bit hotter than even the magnum #11 caps, but i have never found the need for them. The #ii's work fine.

Back