• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alvin York shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennesseeJed

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If anyone was there and has a list of the top 5 shooters and scores, many thanks to you if you'd post it. I didn't have a pen and paper on me when they were announcing them.

Tenn,
I wasn't there this year but got a call last night that said Paul Grifith won it again. Shot a string just over 3.5 inchs. Jim Franks will be posting the whole results to everyone.
Mark :)

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't remember Paul's last name. I know Dave Krumme finished 2nd with a score over 4".

I shot a little over 15". :hmm: I had a wonderful time anyway.

To tell you the truth Paul Griffith is the only one of the top shooters I can remember. That was quite a string he shot too! And it was nice of him to donate the barrel he won back to the shoot so that someone else could get it (twarn't me though....WAAAGGGHHH!) I oughta order one of his barrels!

All I could manage was a 11.689 string, but it was with a light flint 40 cal so I'm pretty happy. I kept them all in the black except for a flyer that just cut the paper. Might be time for a new touchhole. The closest I got was a 0.241 and a 0.355. That flyer really cost me. But stuff happens I guess.

We had a great time though. And we still ate well. One of the guys I was with (Pat Hanna) got 15th place so we ate T-bones Saturday night. And I had a good visit with Andy York and enjoyed being in some of God's country.

I was told that Ron or Jim will be sending the results out to the shooters. I don't know how soon. I had planned on going to the very first York shoot 15 years ago but this year was the first time I've gotten to go. Hopefully they can keep it going there and I can go next year. I heard a rumor that it may come to an end, at least there. Hope not.

The rest of the top 5 were Dave Krumme, Bill Disbro, Page Carr & Gerry Green. As far as the scores I remember Bill had 5.2 or so & Green was somewhere in the mid 5s.

could you give some details of the range, rifle/projectile requirements and target/shooting position? Thanks, Blizz.

RULES: Rifles may be flint or percussion ignition, of either traditional hunting or ”˜old style’ traditional target type, with no limit to weight or caliber. No false muzzles, no sealed ignition, no in-line actions, no thumbhole or adjustable stocks and no padded buttplates. Rifles must shoot black powder w/ patched lead round balls, no bullets. Shaders are permitted, but must not extend passed the rear of the breech. Rear sights should be open sights at least 6” in front of the breech. Front sights should be blade, pin-head or post. The use of barrel rests (cant blocks) or sandbags on the chunk are permitted and encouraged. Only the shooter’s hand may support the butt of the rifle, no sandbags or blocks of wood are allowed under the butt of the rifle and no gloves of any kind. The butt of the rifle may not touch the ground.

The distance is 60 yards. It is a 10 shot match. The target is a X-center card. The measurement is from the center of the X to the center of the bullet hole. It is shot prone with the rifle on a "chunk" of the shooter's choice. This style of shooting is known as "chunk", "over-the-log" or "X-center".

Paul giving the barrel to whovever finished 150 was wonderful. The "doping" test was hilarious. When they were talking about the IOC, I could just imagine Paul up on that Olympic pedestal in his overalls and ball cap with a huge longrifle in his hands. :rotf:

And when the oldest shooter gave that walking stick to the youngest shooter, that may have been my favourite moment of the entire day.

They almost had me believing that the IOC had really wanted some of our shooters! And I about died when Sandy led Paul off to pee in the cup! :rotf:

I really got a warm feeling when the oldtimer gave that cane to the boy. Did you think that he looked a lot like the old feller who was in the Sgt. York movie? The one that was sitting in the store who answered the drummer's question "How did you people get here?" with "We was borned here!"

Somebody should have put a MLF flag or something up so we could meet. No telling how many Forum members were there. If there was one I didn't see it. I'm thinking about going back down for a weekend with the wife and do some sightseeing sometime this summer. Just didn't have the time last weekend and when you're riding with someone else you're kinda stuck doing what they want.

I'm looking forward to doing it again. Meanwhile, the West Virginia Chunk Championship is in May pretty close to where I live so I guess I'll get ready for that if all goes well.

You fellers who were at the York shoot check your e-mails. Jim sent them out tonight. I actually finished 76th. I knew I was at least 70th. That sounds awful :redface: but there were 213 shooters so I feel a little better...not real good, but better than I expected. The next shoot is on the 22nd of March next year. Lookin' forward to it.

I'll send you a PM and give you the address.

By the way, congratulations! That was a good string you shot. I'm hoping to do better next year. One of the boys I went with got 15th place, so I still got to eat some of that T-bone. Good, wasn't it?

Bob

Got your messages. Much appreciated and I will send him an email. I got some pork loin. Mmm, mmm good. That was my first time to Tenn. Beautiful weather and scenery for March. Hope I can go again. Many thanks to all the fine folks that coordinate such an event.

Glad I was able to help. I'm a hopin' to get back down next year myself. And that we get the same kind of weather. Maybe some of us MLF'ers will be able to recognize and meet each other next time. Happy shooting!

Bob

Back