• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any particular goals for 2012 fall Hunting season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got plans for taking some tree rats with my 40 cal and I should have a 62 in real soon and I want to get some jerky with that :thumbsup:

I'll just be happy to get out. Been working 6 days a week and No hunting on Sundays :td: in PA.

I'd sure like to...I finally saw my first coyote in the wild this spring...came in to me while I was using a turkey call.

He was loping along at a fast trot like they do, crossing in front of me at about 15 yds, early low light in the woods.
Watching it appear / disappear between trees, etc, by the time my brain finally processed the fact that it wasn't a gray fox, but for the first time ever a coyote, he was out of range of a load of #6s.

If I see one while deer hunting this fall I'll do my best to put it down...

cynthialee said:
want to shoot coyotes? Come hunt my back property. There are too many of them. I had to shoot one last fall for stealing chickens.

We are being over-ran here as well.

Coyotes never bugged me until I moved into this forest and started raising chickens. Over the last 4 years they have stolen about 10-12 birds. If I catch one in the act it dies. Seems to get the message across to the others and they don't come around for awhile.
Had a bobcat stealing chickens last year also. I shot at the dirt near his feet and sicked my 100 lbs pit bull/great dane cross on it. My big dog chased it off and I haven't seen that cat around since. He seemed to get the message he wasn't welcome in these parts.

Right now it looks like i'll be tied up working through most of the early season,but i hope to get out some near the end. I hate wishing my life away but come on Retirement :grin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

smo said:
"...come on Retirement :grin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ..."
I don't know enough adjectives to describe how fantastic it's been since the first of the year!
:grin:

So yeah, enjoy your time now...it'll be on you before you know it.
And remember...there "IS" a down side to getting so old you can retire...LOL

Last year I was lucky enough to shoot an antelope buck. This year I want a big mulie and I do mean big.

First I just want to enjoy the cool weather, if and when it ever comes, then spend more time on some beautiful, old hardwood forest WMA land.

1) Take a squirrel with a cap and ball revolver. (doable, I'm sure).
2) Take a coyote with a cap and ball revolver (I'm not holding my breath, an issue of getting one within my cap and ball pistol range.)

Squirrel Tail said:
1) Take a squirrel with a cap and ball revolver. (doable, I'm sure).
Just to be safe in case you're stopped by an over-zealous or mis-informed GW, if it was me, I'd send an Email to the NC-WRC specifically asking for their verification that the prohibition on using 'muzzleloading pistols for hunting' does not apply to cap & ball pistols. In their minds they might not even be aware of or making that clean of a distinction, dunno.
Then print/laminate their official Email reply and have it with you...might keep you from wasting time and money of going to court to get a poorly executed citation thrown out.

Either way, good luck with the squirrels...

Finally got an old buddy to agree togo hunting with me this year.
Gonna see if I can helphim get a deer and then one, two, three, four or five for me.
That sounds even doesn't it? :haha:

Put Bambi in the freezer along with Thumper. I took a very nice buck last year and those antlers never tasted any better, so does will do.

I would prefer to accomplish this with my flintlocks, but the cap locks might become jealous...

What a great topic...have been thinking about nothing but the start of hunting season for weeks now, reading this thread isn't going to help....lol...

I'm going to say this out loud so you all can blast me if it doesn't happen....I'm going to actually finish and hunt with that .50 cal flintlock that keeps getting pushed to the back of my bench for way too long. Working on other peoples guns means no time to do your own stuff :cursing:

Planning a primitive trek, camping, hunting trip and hope to fill the freezer with bear, deer and birds.

Question: If I put a coonskin cap on the 4 wheeler would it still be considered PC/HC to drag the deer out with ???? Sometimes its a loooong drag back home.... :surrender:

Back