• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Advice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cessnapilot89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am very new to black powder armaments and have recently purchased a Pedersoli Brown Bess. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for shooting and cleaning it?

Regards,

Cody

Yes....Do Both ! ! ! as Soon As Possible to start enjoying the Fine Bess ! just read thru the posts on the smoothbore section and you will find big bunch of info on loads etc....
WELCOME to The FORUM !

Indeed! All the above. Sweet gun. Hope you have a bayonet for it. Need a bayonet!

;)

Love mine. Shot against rifles. You can load it
any way possible. Patched ball..naked Ball..shot
load like a shotgun...buck & ball..or double 00.
Have fun and know you will shoot better than those
back then....because nobody is shooting at you
now...which is a good thing...
Wulf

You didn't say what accessories came with it, so I'll list a few things that you will need to shoot ball or shot from it.

Black English flints of 1 1/8 inch or the width of the frizzen.
A piece of leather to hold the flint in the jaws of the lock.
A set of screwdrivers that fit the heads of the bolts.
Get some real black powder (2F or 1F). Substitute powders just don't function reliably.
You will need an adjustable powder measure of up to 120 grains and a spout to pour the powder from the container to your measure. You will get good performance from loads in the 70 to 90 grain range. You can always get some sort of flask later.
Your barrel will probably be about 0.750" in diameter.
That means you will need 11 gauge over powder cards and over shot cards for shot. Ball size will be the best performer in the 0.715 to 0.735" in diameter. This will let you use 0.015 to 0.022" patching material. I like pocket drill for patching, but tightly woven pillow ticking or mattress ticking will also work. Lubricant for your patches can be anything from spit to mixtures of water soluble oil to a wide assortment of lubricating mixtures. Smooth bores will never be as accurate as a rifle, but you will be surprised at how accurate you can sight in with the bayonet lug and a consistently placed cheek on the stock.
Cleaning tools will be for an 11 gauge gun. While the Pedersoli Bess has a metal ramrod, you still should get a working rod for loading and cleaning. The metal rod that comes on the gun is for loading very undersized ball in the heat of battle.

Clean up with warm water with a few drops of dish detergent. Dry the barrel with dry cleaning patches and lubricate the bore with a good gun oil such as Barricade, Ballistol or another gun oil.

Practice.

Cessna,

Welcome, and a few recommendations for shooting the Bess.

First, they tend to have a long lock time, so you have to practice your hold. You want follow through, meaning you stand like a statue even after the ball has left.

Second, the trigger pull tends to be stiff. When I had a Bess my technique for dealing with this was getting a death grip on the wrist with my thumb and middle/ring/pinkie fingers. With a loose grip you'll have a tendency for the musket to "fall off" the trigger when the sear breaks, causing you to shoot low or to one side. Also slide your trigger finger to the very bottom of the trigger, right up against the trigger guard, even if it is hanging halfway off. That gives you the most leverage on the trigger.

Third, take your time getting a sight picture. All you have is the bayonet lug and the top plane of the barrel. Try sighting along it and bringing the muzzle up and down so that the lug/sight disappears, reappears, and then the top of the barrel appears. Drop it back down so the top of the barrel just barely disappears and your are sighting along that plane. Line that up on your bull and see where it shoots. You might have to take a 6 o'clock hold or maybe a 12 o'clock hold-over to get the ball in the middle (in which case you might want to up your powder charge a little). If you are shooting far too high you may want to line up the lug so it is just peeking over the breech.

Fourth, just before you go for your sight picture, pull your head back. The kick is hard and the drop in the stock is negligible. There will be a tendency for your right thumb to smack you on the tip of your nose, and that is disconcerting.

Brown Bess can be a fun shooting companion if you work on taming her faults.

70 grains of 3F
.715 round ball
15 thousands pillow ticking
My Pedersoli Bess loves this.
No short starter needed.

Thank you all for your help, I do greatly appreciate it. Tomorrow I am taking it to the local range where there will be some others shooting Black Powder that I am hoping to learn from as well. Will be sure to take lots of notes.

-Cody

Lots of good advice so far. But, you may end up confused once you start shooting it. Bores on the Ped BBs are not consistent in size. Mine is really an 11 ga., others closer to 12 ga. Check with Flintlocks, Inc. for wads. They have sample packs you can try without buying large quantities that might turn our to be useless for you. I use a .731 ball in mine. But, as it dirties these can be hard to seat. Consider that. Measure your bore and try several sizes to suit yur needs. Remember, this is not a rifle you can get by with less than precise ball/patch/bore fit.
I have had great luck with moderate charges. Mostly in the 70 gr. range.
BTW, I think the BB is mostest, funnest gun to shoot thar ever wuz.

Cessnapilot89 said:
Thank you both for the warm welcome! Any recommendations for bayonets?

Yes. Get one.

Seriously, save up for a Pedersoli one. I have seen the India made ones literally fall in half, nit even being used. It was shiny, like all India-made stuff, but terribly welded...

Oh, and do NOT get 1F blackpowder... You want 2F.

I disagree on it being a 750 diameter bore. they vary . mine is a 729 ore. 715 rb and 15 th patch with 85 grains 3f is my hunting load. the bayonet lug is the problem for a front sight. check my posts as to how I ha it rectified by a gunsmith.
it now sports a front sight blade using the lug as a base.

Went out and fired it this morning. What a fun gun to shoot! Was using .715 balls with .015 lubed pillow ticking patches. Getting used to the bayonet lug as a sight is going to take some getting used to. My accuracy was not great, but I think that is due to me not being used to the musket yet. I can not wait to get back to the range this week and try again.

Try filing a notch in the top of the bayonet lug and one in the tang. That will give you some horizontal reference points. With most smoothbores and the Bess is one of them, the breech is a lot bigger than the muzzle. So in essence you are aiming downhill which makes your vertical hold pretty poor.

With my Pedersoli Bess Carbine. I want to show the base of the bayonet lug and about an inch or more of the barrel. This will put me on the target at 25 yards. Your sight picture will vary from anyone else's because of your face structure and your cheek weld. This will take some practice. I usually tell people that it takes about a year of regular shooting to finally find out what kind of load and sight picture it takes to shoot any new muzzleloader.

Welcome to the forum.

Many Klatch

One other thing folks do when shooting the Bess the rear tang screw is going to be your " rear sight " so to speak. Most shooters I know turn this screw so the notch lines up with the bayonet lug. This will give you a rear reference to align your bayonet lug. Once you shoot around 22 rounds, two pound of ball you will start to lock in a mental image which will be your rear sight. It takes practice which is loads of fun!

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the brass that is inlayed in the stock, just aft of the tang screw?

Latest posts

Back