• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I Build This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Gaimari

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I can't afford a gun like this from a builder, but I can afford the kit. I'm not happy with built guns in this price range. I'm a bit fussy with my guns and gear.

I also think it would be a good feeling to hunt with a gun that I built. I won't be shooting much for the rest of winter. So, being retired I have a ton of time to do it. I'll go slow and be as careful as I can.

The parts seem like top of the line. Correct me if i'm wrong about that. I can have TOW do some of the harder stuff on the barrel. They seem to do it reasonably. It's as close as i'll get to a realistic Hawken.

The question is...can I do it? I have no experience in something like this. I have a lot of mechanical ability, but none working with wood.

I can some of the parts on the list. What combo do you recommend? I sort of settled on .54. Other than that i'm open to suggestions.

That is, if you think I should try this.

I have to warn you though. If I do this. You'll get a ton of questions along the build.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...-HAWKEN-FULLSTOCK-LEFT-16-FLINT&partList=True

edit..I put in the wrong link. I want the flintlock model. I changed the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a mighty handsome rifle, Capper! I look forward to the answers that come your way, because like you, I'm wondering about the difficulty of the build..

The hardest part of that kit is probably getting the slant-faced breech installed correctly. A standard breech on a Pennsylvania rifle is much easier to inlet.

With the slant-faced breech, you have to solder the breech to the tang and inlet it in one piece. After it is inletted, you heat the tang to release the solder. This is easier said than done.

The flintlock version is much easier to build than the percussion, but there are probably easier ones to start out with. If your heart is set on a full-stock Hawken, go for it.

Incidentally, cutting dovetails for the sights and for the barrel lugs is one of the easier tasks in rifle building. Once you've done one or two they're easy. If you're worried about it, ask some of the members here if they have a chunk of barrel that they've cut off that you can practice on.

I'm not really, but it's the only one they offer in a LH model. I like the looks of the half stock.

I think you'll do just fine, if you take your time and ask many questions. People seems to get into the cowsh*t when they get in a hurry or "ass-ume" they know what to to.

Notice that the barrel, Lock, Breech Plug and Trigger are all either "out of stock" or "accepting orders". The barrel is particularly hard to get at this time, being a Green Mountain.

Does not mean you can't get the parts, but may have to get some of them from other suppliers. These are not unique parts available only from Track. They are commonly available from many other suppliers.

I'd go ahead with it if I were you. If you get realy stuck, there is plenty of advice right here. Expect you will be very happy with your end results. Make a sweet Colorado big game gun for sure! :thumbsup:

As Bioprof mentioned, the breech is a little tricky to inlay but a Flintlock is much easier to build than the Hawken Percussion rifle because the lock/barrel interface isn't as fussy.

That 36" .54 caliber barrel is going to be heavy with a lot of weight way out front so, be prepared.

Working with wood is just like working with metal except you've got to keep your tools razor blade sharp.

Although many of us cut our own dovetails you may want to have TOTW install the breech plug and cut the sight dovetails. You could create the underlug dovetails for the underlugs without fear because they are hidden. Put another way, if you mess them up a little, no one will know unless they remove the barrel. :)

Speaking of barrels, you did notice that TOTW does not have any barrels in stock? No telling how long that will last but it might take all winter before new barrels are available.

Zonie; I did notice this. It seems to be all the Green Mountain barrels. Is there a problem with GM, or just a problem with TOW getting them?

I did notice, but I didn't know it would take so long to get one.

Here's another gun that I like. It comes with all the good stuff (GM barrel,Siler Lock etc).

It has everything in stock if I chose a 36" 7/8 barrel in .50 cal. Which is fine with me. I can adjust the load for the game i'm after. It should be lighter than the Hawken too.

What do you think?
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...=SOUTHERN-MOUNTAIN-LEFT-HAND-FLINT-PARTS-LIST

edit..I just noticed the stocks are for the 42" barrel. Can I shorten the stock, or just go with a 42" barrel? That's a lot of barrel.

edit..I just noticed the stocks are for the 42" barrel. Can I shorten the stock, or just go with a 42" barrel? That's a lot of barrel.

You can do that. Also, the 7/8th .50 cal barrel in 42" weighs almost a pound less than the 1" .54 cal in 36".

It's all subjective personal opinion, but I think the longer barreled gun would be "prettier"

As far as the build goes, the Southern gun might be a bit easier to do.

I am currently working on my first kit...which is from TOW. I have absolutely zero experience working with wood and metal. Not only have I had to do a ton of research about building this rifle, I've also had to research and understand the basics of woodworking.

Prior to purchasing this kit, I spent about 6 months reading and researching everything I could get my hands on...books, dvds, this forum, etc. Every problem I encounter during this build I just search this forum, which 99% of the time has already been covered here.

I am about 75% finished and am happy with my results so far. If I can do this, anyone can. Just do your homework and have plenty of patience. The only tools I've owned before this kit was a screwdriver set.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

My first build was a Track full-stock Hawken in .50 percussion. I had some help on the front end and the back end of the build from a couple of friends who are pros but I did most of the work myself. It was a real challenge but I'm thrilled with the results.

IMG_0410.jpg

I have built both. For the Hawken I bought the barrel and lock 25 years ago. I changed carrears and ended up packing them around from move to move. When I retired I found a plain, second stock from TOW. It had some runout in the ramrod channel but was preinlet for the lock and the barrel. I picked up the rest of the parts from Track and built it. It is a heavy rifle. It comes in around 10.5 pounds. Since it is a .58 the extra weight helps keep recoil down.

The Tennesse was done about 25 years ago. I built it from essentially the same parts set that TOW sells. I didn't like the germanic lock the kit has so went with an L&R Manton and a non preinlet stock. The rifle is a tack driver and has been since it was built. A .50 in a 42" 7/8" barrel is not that heavy. My .36 with a 42" 13/16" is heavier. It is a little nose heavy as are all straight barreled long rifles but you get used to it.

Whichever one you decide to build you can probably pick up a barrel from Tip Curtis and get the lock directly from L&R. The lock for the Hawken is the L&R Large English. I don't know why TOW calls it an Ashmore which is an entirely different lock. Dunno if there is any ambiguity on the Tennessee lock.

Thanks guys. You've all inspired me to do it. I still haven't decided what gun to build yet, but I have plenty of time to decide. I needed a boost to get me to do it at all. I'm ok with it now.

Just so I won't feel rushed in building the gun. I needed something to shoot. Now I can really take my time with the build. Even if it takes me a year to finish it. I want it as perfect as I can make it.

So, I bought this from a member on this forum. It should be fine for hunting and playing around until I can get my build done.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php/product/5346/cat/9

If you're looking for a full stock flinter with a shorter barrel then many of the Isaac Haines "kits" from places such as Jim Chambers and TOTW come in both righty and lefty. Barrel is 38" and you can get a couple of different profiles (swamped). Won't be anywhere near as hefty as those straight tubed rifles - 7 1/2 - 8 lbs finished give or take. I believe the Chambers' package comes with dovetails for the underlugs and sights pre- cut in the barrel also. Going to get well figured wood also as standard from Chambers.

These kits won't be quite as challenging as a hooked breech rifle such as the Hawken. Don't underestimate though... Any "rough" kit is going to have you sharpening tools...

Swamp is a double taper . It tapers from breech toward muzzle somewheres about 8" from muzzle then flares back out to muzzle . Makes a nice balance and cuts weight down.

Back