• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Misfiring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutch Schoultz said:
It occurs to me that when you no one responds to your posts that you are, in effect, talking to yourself and what U consider bits 'o wisdom are actually boring nonsense it's probably time to quit babbling for my own entertainment.

I think it would be best to limit myself to answering questions only and to stop volunteering thoughts and Ideas that occur to me.

I apologize for taking up so much space.

Dutch

It's just that when you finish your post there's nothing left to say. you've said it all. :grin:

:metoo: POST we need it! I enjoy every one of em (the nurse posts the most, get brave HAVE SOME FUN!) :redface:

Maybe 2 of the 35000 members don't appreciate ya....FOO on em.

I notice a lot of posts regarding the ignition channel and touch hole problems.
I would like to point out what everybody who has stood to the right of a firing flintlock whose main powder charge has jeu propelled a pathed ball down range. Your left ear is on fire as a certain percentage of the powder charge has squirted accurately out the touch hole and into your victimized ear.
I had a Schusten (OK You spell it!) rifle with a not particularly strong main sping in the lock. When you fired it the escaping gas through the ignition channel was enough to recock the rifle. There is some power there that blows the touch clear of any glurp that might come out during the explosion.

NO w with the cap lock percussion rifle there is a problem with the hammer usually holing the expended pap over the hole in the nipple thus booking the passage of most of that backfire from escaping and thus clogging that channel.
There is an end run (football term) with the I believe its called the Hor Shot nipple which has two wee holes drilled crosswise below where the expended cap reaches and thus allows some of the residue manure to bypass the capping caused by the cap held down by the hammer. .
I solved the problem for me. All my misfires were caused by good old fashioned stupidity of forgetting to remember to drop powder down the pout before the nicely patched ball.

Dutch I know nobody asked but people seem to ignore that horrendous back blast that usually keeps the ignition chanel clear.

Gemmer,
Back before the guns that created this nation became "Icky" there was a collection of thousands of guns in the west wing of the Jefferson Memorial in St. Louis' Forest park. Almost all were cartridge rifle but there was a separate display of aGemmer built ML Rifle. Going by my failing memory that was the most serious looking rifle resembling, IIRC the Lyman Great Plains Rifle probably mostly in its color. It had rear adjustable sights very similar to the Lyman adjustable rear sights and matching tube front sight with I assume inserts.
I have been an honest person all my life probably based on fear of being caught but when I saw that rifle complete plans for breaking and entering and getting away with that rifle bounced like sugar plums into my head. I have no idea what caliber that rifle was but it was the most business looking Hawkin style rifle I had ever seen.
Gemmer worked with the Hawkens and then went into business for himself after they left the area..
Every time I see your post the memory of that incredible rifle zips into view.
I;m not sure but the way things are going I have assumed the gum collection had been long gone and replaced by a Save The CockRoach Display or some other really important project.

Dutch Schoultz Es'cuse the Typos

:eek:ff Dutch,
Yeah this is off topic but I had to relate the story of one of our club members. He was visiting a museum in Santa Fe where Kit Carson's Hawken was displayed. They actually let him hold it! That doesn't happen often. He also relates how this was the prototype for the original GPR now being mad by the Italians. Listening to him tell the story made me think he had the same fantasy as you about making off with that rifle.

Holding the old originals does give you a thrill that is hard to describe.
I had something similar, There was a shop in St. Louis county that had an original Hawken rifle and I was able to have an exact copy made by a no defunct Ozark Mountain Arms. The only difference was that I had it made in .45 caliber.. This cost me 800 dollars back in 1982 dollarsI was able to get my nickel ice groups out of it.
The interesting thing was that I was able to get the same size groups out of my $275 kit built rifle with an unneccessesaryly replaced barrel.
That's when I came to the conclusion that as long as the barrel is OK cheap rifles are just as capable of accuracy as the very expensive rifles

I will admit that most of the expensive rifles can cause the same feeling as the sight of a very pretty girl.
Working with a very wide variety of rifles at the range , some I would classify as near junk, I found if the barrel was OK, not bulged anywhere, accuracy was almost always possible. Actually I can't remember a case where amazing progress wasn't possible.Dutch Schoultz

I don't know how to change headings on these posts when I want to talk about something new. So deal with it.
One problem I found at the range that if you correct somebody's shooting in just about any way, Loading, stance anything you will be accused of criticizing a person's "manhood".
So if you see someone doing something stupid your best approach is to lie a bit and claim that you used to do the same stupid thing but an "Old Tymer" showed you this other way and told you why it was the better way.
I had a spotter scope and when people asked if they could use it to see their target, I would say OJ but I would like them to return it to being focused on my target. That was what got them interested in accuracy and I didn't have to insult their manhood.. I got people switching to Muzzleloaders "Because they were more accurate"

Another problem I had was people not understanding that you can't be accurate with an inaccurate rifle
All rifles, if improperly loaded with wrong patching, wrong powder charge whatever is not going to be accurate no matter who is aiming and firing the rifle.
First you have see what the rifle wants by testing it bench rest. When you work up your load bench rest so you know it will hit what it is aimed at accurately THEN you graduate yourself to offhand shooting knowing full well that any wildness in your group is YOUR fault and not the rifles.

Quite frequently I would be told that they were not interested in any bench rest shooting because all their hunting shooting would be offhand. I agree that you should practice your offhand shooting

Back