• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Differences in performance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treborn

32 Cal
Reaction score
.54 rifle vs .58 smoothbore
Given that the deer is at a reasonable distance with the smoothbore, would there be a vast difference in performance between the two? I have a .58 fowler and I am purely curious. The load for it is 90 grains of fffg. Load for the .54 say around 80 grains of fffg. Say the animal is shot at less than 60 yards.

No difference… dead is dead.

808B49E2-66FF-4565-8B1C-0688AA4723FC.jpeg

Tip Curtis 16 gauge smoothbore, 70 grns fffg Goex pushing a .626 prb.

.54 rifle vs .58 smoothbore
Given that the deer is at a reasonable distance with the smoothbore, would there be a vast difference in performance between the two? I have a .58 fowler and I am purely curious. The load for it is 90 grains of fffg. Load for the .54 say around 80 grains of fffg. Say the animal is shot at less than 60 yards.
the 58 or 54 will take any North American big game animal without an issue. You can't get any deader than dead. Now if I was hunting grizzlies - i'd go 58 just because. But for deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope, boar, or black bear under 60 yards 54 all day long will do the job no doubt about it.
I think you are trying to justify buying a 54 cal - just do it no reason needed to buy one just do it if you want it. Just say Too-Tall told me too.

Last edited:
Back