• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Muzzleloader Score

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Corsican Ram on an Exotic hunt. A 400gr PR Extreme HP bullet at[url] 86yds............made[/url] a BIG hole in "Curly"! :shocking:

Taxidermist had a FUN time patching him up. ::

Last edited by a moderator:
My first was a nice forkhorn whitetail buck. My Traditions Hawken was loaded with a Hornady .490 patched ball over 70 grains of Goex black FFg. I missed completely with the first shot. :redface: And the silly deer just sauntered along his trail while I went through the antics of reloading. This included dropping my empty quick-shot tube out of my tree stand and dropping my ramrod right after it. And then just before he completely disappeared in the trees I got the second shot off. The ball hit exactly where aimed and he only went about 10 yards. Mmm, he sure tasted good...

Oh, did I mention that it was my first time afield with a muzzleloader, and that it was only about 20 minutes into the hunt when this buck made his appearance? Talk about dumb luck. Talk about great encouragement to get out hunting with a muzzleloader again! ::

It was -5 degrees in northern PA this past muzzleloader season when I got my first whitetail doe. It was only my second year hunting with a muzzleloader so I was pretty happy and proud until I went down over the bank to retrieve my trophy and found she had expired in the middle of the creek. Lucky for me my hunting partner had a pair of chest waders along and he volunteered to go in after my trophy. What a pal!!! :) Afterwards I took several pictures with the fishing rope and hook still attached to the deer. :: Lookin forward to the next opportunity to head back into the woods, but I plan to stay further away from the creek this year.
Zman

A little four point buck with a .45 hawken.I think i had to drag that critter 5 miles.(or it seemed that far at the time)
snake-eyes

Red Fox, coming out of Ma's hen house.
Don't mess with Ma's chickens!
Back then, no eggs meant an incomplete breakfast! and that makes me mad :curse:

I came from Pennsylvania but my current residence is in Kaintuck. I took my first deer with a flinter in PA about 2 or 3 years ago with a rabbit hunting friend driving them out of the thick stuff to me and his brother. The deer came out below me and went to his brother, but Steve had a flash in the pan. The deer came up the hill to where I was at and offered a nice 25 or 30 yard broadside shot. I think I had about 60 grains of 3F and a ballet (Buffalo Bullets 245 grain). I pulled the trigger and the three of them took off. But about 30 yards from where they stood, there was a blood trail that started, and about 75 yards after that there was a dead shoulder shot doe. Fortunately, the doe was small and the ground was covered with a few inches of snow. Plus I was just a half mile from my house and up a hill from it to boot. I had the rope tied, started walking, and didn't even notice as it just came along behind me. Unfortunately, most of the front of the animal was ruined... But whatever, it did the trick.

My first was a beauty of of red fox squirrel taken way back in the early 70s. Took him with a TC Hawkins .490 prb through the ribs right behind his shoulder. Didn't do any damage to his meat but sure scrambled his boiler works! LOL!

Chuck Goodall
"The Original Huntin' Fool"
&
Kanawha Ranger Scribe ::

Back