• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken .50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgilmore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a thompson center hawken 50 cal. in a pawn shop, the gun looks to be in very good condition. the rifleing looks good also.
the asking price is 175.00, im thinking this is a good deal but could use some advice. thanks :idunno:

Sounds like a pretty good deal. The main thing to check on a used muzzleloader is the inside of the barrel and you said that looked good, I say go for it....................watch yer top knot................

I was just at a local rendezvous and saw one in good condition sell for $300.00. Both seller and buyer were happy, but one possible buyer was disapointed he did not have the money to buy it first.! :hmm: :hmm:

As has already been said, check it closely. Look around the nipple and underside of the hammer. Just make sure it isn't battered to pieces. If they allow you, back out the single screw that secures the lock on the opposite side of the stock and take a look at the inside of the lock and mortice. You can check the double set triggers without having to cock the rifle. Pull the rear trigger first until it clicks. That will set the front trigger. Then touch off the front trigger just to make sure it works.
I have a .50 cal Thompson and am very happy with it. I have found it to be a very good and reliable rifle. If you can get that rifle for the $175.00, run away with it as soon as its paid for. :thumbsup:

I would say it is a good deal even if the barrel was no good. I paid more than that for a nice stock with lock and brass to put my new 40 cal GM barrel in.

Provided it is in decent working order and the bore is ok, that sounds like a real good deal from what I have seen. I bought one off a member here about a year ago, paid $300. It showed some signs of use, but not abuse and is a good shooter. I feel I paid a good price. My local gun shop has 2 used ones on the rack now for $350-375. Sidelocks don't seem too popular around here, but they don't hang around long at that price.

Back