• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How a percussion revolver works?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys...Bit of a 'noob' question here...

I am making a 3D model of a percussion revolver ~ I am currently making the cylinder...

What I would like to know is - I presume (daft question I know) that there is a small hole that goes through the middle of the nipple straight into the chamber?

Here's a picture of my cylinder - red marking the hole from the nipple to the chamber ~ does this seem accurate?

cylindercut.png

Again, apologies for the VERY stupid question. But I haven't found a diagram for 'how a percussion revolver works' to show this process.

Regards, Beaty

Just to be accurate, not picky....But the nipple threads into the chamber..its not all one piece.

Nice work by the way.

The cone or nipple base hole or flash hole is dead center of the chamber, as the cone is threaded into the cylinder/chamber's rear or base. With the Rev at full cock looking to the cone or rear from the barrel using a light or flashlite you can see the flash hole of the cone centered in the chambr. Also you can check the cylinder timming or clocking by insuring the chambers each are fully visible from the barrel's end(flashlite shined between cylinder and forcing cone). If a full moon chamber appears it perfectly timed. If a sliver. 1/4, or half moon a appears, cylinder must be adjusted by tuning Hand, bolt/cam ears, ect...

Here are a couple of photos of a Colt cylinder with two nipples removed to show you better how they look and how the system goes together. :grin:
cy1.jpg
cy2.jpg

Nice work on the drawings, BTW. Hopefully these pics will help you get it a little more accurately. :thumbsup:

To everyone...

Many, many thanks. This is my third attempt at modelling a percussion revolver, and with the help of this forum they improve with accuracy every time.

Because of the laws in the UK, I can't do the obvious thing and buy and study a real percussion revolver ~ so I am working a little in the dark.

I am investigating the purchase of a deactivated revolver ~ but I'm told that new laws might even make this impossible soon...

So this forum and books recommended by the forum members are my only means to see the workings.

Special thanks for the photos posted. Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Beaty

The cone or nipple base hole or flash hole is dead center of the chamber

Hi Smoking_Gun ~ The model represented is a Le Mat, with it's huge shotgun barrel going through the center of the cylinder...

This *seems* to offset the cone slightly more to the top of the chamber according to my measurements from photos...

Lemat-f.jpg

I *hope* this is correct! LOL (...Or it's back to the drawing board!)

;)

:winking: Beaty. I assume that the fake pistols found on ebay are also outlawed by your government. But go to google and bring up Colt revolvers, and Le Mat revolvers. there is a wealth of information and drawings. By the way your email address from the profile was rejected by the server. you might want to check it out. Bob Holton AKA [email protected]

In Canada here, any replica firearm must be registered, and are still treated as any other firearm.
Replicas used to be bought just about anywere, and did become common use for the "Low end entry level Gangster".
I guess real Cap-n Ball revolvers were/are the choice for criminals on a budget.
Myself would doubt if the average old lady mugger would have the brains to figure out how to properly load it anyway.
It would be just used to pistol whip their victoms. :youcrazy:

I know guys! :youcrazy:

When the laws originally changed my local small-bore target club closed, but criminals still managed to buy weapons on the black-market! The UK is a funny place...

I can't buy a target or antique pistol ~ but I can buy an automatic weapon from a shady character...Er, cough, presuming I knew where to go!

...Not that I do (in case the local constabulary is reading this!) :)

That's British gun laws for you. I feel sorry for those in the UK who do re-enactment, or are antique collectors...Bad times ahead I think.

But all this is off-topic...

Here's my corrected cone and chamber on my Le Mat cylinder:-

cyl_fnt_1709.jpg

cyl_rear_1709.jpg

You can see that the hole now goes all the way through - and I have included a mock screw thread to imply that the cone now screws into the cylinder.

How's that?

I cannot take the credit (as much as I'd like to!)...

The software I use is Google SketchUp (free by the way)...

Thanks for the kind words ~ now to start on my new hammer!

:)

I think that is an optical illusion due to the angle of the shot taken. It cannot be narrower on one sid than the other as it would nere turn it the frame ... would not rotate.
You are doing a fine job beaty keep the questions comming. Alot of good people with knowledge on this site.

Hi bavarialand,

I will be making 2D and 3D animations from this model (and hopefully all the 3D models of Cvil War revolvers I will be doing)...

I am looking at Swift 3D which will animate my 3D models and then save them as Flash movies to view on the web.

For example, with the Le Mat I want to show how the cunning dual purpose hammer works and a 'exploded view' animation to show how all the major components fit together.

I hope to animate two of the 'special features' of all the revolvers I model.

It's a long term project though! It will probably take me a year just to model the 12 revolvers I have in mind!

:v

Latest posts

Back