• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here use only their balck powder guns for deer hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The muzzeloader deer season has ended here, but I'm thinking of leaving the 30-06 in the safe and continuing to hunt with the charcoal burner.
I'm curoius as to how many here only use their black powder firearms for hunting deer.

I don't always take one of my flinters in deer season but it have been at least 7 or 8 years since I fired a centerfire rifle at a deer. I use my flinters to hunt with for the most part now.

I made the switch about 1985 for deer and elk, never looked back. I still have a nice .270 stored away, I don't think I've shot it since then. If I were to use it today, it just wouldn't feel right, like I'm trying to blow the animal up, rather than harvest it with just the right amount of power and skill.

If I found myself hunting in the high power season, I definitely would still use a traditional muzzleloader. Bill

The last deer I shot with a center fire, 16Ga., shotgun, was about thirty-five years ago. I've never taken one with a C/F rifle, maybe try my 6.8mm someday.
Robby

I use my m/lers during regular season. I did take a time out when the next county over opened to rifles for the first time in living memory. Had only hunted with shotgun slugs from c'tridge guns or m/l (or a bow) up to then and I used my 'ol M39 Mosin 7.62X54R. Two deer: 10 yards & 11 yards a day apart as I sat on the ground under the same tree. Rifle was no better than a slug or even a smoothbore m/l. :rotf:

I put myself in thick cover where a single-shot round ball is at no disadvantage.

I've hunted with just a flintlock for 4 years now. When I sold my .243, It was hard at first not to see it in the gun safe but I don't miss it now.

I have not used a cartrige rifle for hunting in about 5 years. Last year I drew a rifle bull tag and used my .54 jaeger. like some of the other folks said it just don't feel right any more. I did not even hunt squirrels this year cause my .32 was minus a lock. could have easily pulled out the old 22 but its just not as fun as with the flinter.

I hunt everything with flinters now!

I drew a Rifle cow tag this year and plan to use the jaeger again.

In fact my 12 year old boy drew a deer tag and I pulled out my TC Conternder carbine in 30-30 for him to use. It was strange shooting it again with him to get ready for the season. could not even find my handloads for the gun. He wants a Lefty Flinter so thats next on my list of rifles to build!

If You enjoy hunting with the smokepole keep it up!!

Been bp hunting since the 70s . This year will be my first yr to hunt the complete season with bp . (Bp and rifle season ). Lookin foreward to it . Already got a nice fat doe during bp season , now I'm lookin for horns .

I have hunted with only my muzzleloaders, percussion and flintlock since 2000 in all firearm seasons here in WV. I have harvested 12 deer in that time period. West Virginia's fire arm season opens Monday and I will be carrying my .50 percussion long rifle this year. I hunted with my .62 smoothbore flintlock the previous two years.

I am in my 3rd year BP only for deer, 1st year BP flint only for deer, It will be flint only turkey since I sold my modern shotgun. I am so hung up on Flinters I cant even see taking the caplock I killed three deer with last year. It is next to the .06 collecting dust. I am most likely going smoothbore over rifled this weekend, and its opening day of TN modern Rifle season. I hunt on public land and hear a ton of rifles being shot in all directions, I just sit there looking at the work of art lying across my lap, waiting its turn. Nothing like the thrill that comes from the cloud of smoke.

As far as deer goes I have not used anything but percussion and now mostly flintlocks. An started last year hunting turkeys with flintlock smoothbores only. I dont miss modern guns at all :thumbsup:

:hmm: gees,,,been 10+ years easily,,not sure I could even hunt with modern now! lol or percussion!...getting so bad, I revertin to wood longbow an arrows too!...God I love this sport!
:thumbsup:

this is my first year for BP only. I am using my T/C Hawken .50 cal with 80grain of FFFg goex .15 pillow ticking with moose snot lube and a 174 gr Hornady rb. I plan in the future to get a flint lock and cast my own rb for it, but I am still learning. I was fortunate to take my first deer with the hawken this year, a young doe.

Been using muzzleloaders during regular season for 10 years or so..

I have used bp flintlocks exclusively for deer hunting the last 6 years. I was using a Marlin 30-30 in Wisconsin up until then, but have since married an Illinois girl where I live and her Daddy has some land within a few miles. Illinois doesn't allow c/f rifle, so I've been using my flintlocks. Now I have acquired 4 sporterized military bolt actions in the last few years and will be going back up into Wisconsin sometime soon. A Krag, M1917, Mosin-Nagant, and a Mauser.

Back