• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting clothes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok gentlemen

Since I'm in the rut and keep posting new topics every hour here's another one.

What clothing do you wear during traditional hunting?
Is it old style mountain man/fur trade era/revolutionary/etc or more modern like camo, orange and similar. I'm talking from top to bottom. Pictures will be appreciated.

We are required to wear a hat thats orange during our muzzleloader season (200sq inches) always just wore some kind of modern camo. I have ordered a period coat and shirt that I hope to wear this coming year.

Last year I wore hunting shirt, buckskin pants, all the gear and I got my first deer in period dress. She was a big doe at 70yds. To me she was one of my best deer yet!! I will be hunting in period dress all this season!!

Amikee, I hunt with nothing bur traditional guns and gear, always load from the pouch, etc., but I don't always wear traditional garb. That depends on the weather, the hunting situation, and my mood. In Kentucky we have the orange law, so if I'm hunting deer or hunting small game during the deer season I must wear an orange hat and enough orange to cover my chest front and back. I satisfy that requirement with a knit orange cap and a cheap synthetic orange vest which I just slip on over my other garb, whether modern or traditional. If I'm hunting turkeys or any small game outside deer season I wear traditional garb or just modern clothes, sometimes my 45 year old camo jump suit.

My camo outfit for deer:
orange1.jpg

My traditional garb when I'm not requird to wear orange. If I am required to wear orange, just add the cap and vest to this shot.

orangeB.jpg

Spence

Wow! I absolutely love the bottom picture. So........... Nostalgic...... Beautiful. It amazes me every time I see someone that brave. You got any comments when you meet other non-traditional hunters? Good, bad?

I just wear my bowhunting camo which is whatever mossy oak's new stuff was last year. The clothing doesn't matter to me that much in my hunt so I don't worry about it.

We don't have the orange laws, but we have just as many slipshod idiots with guns.

Closest I come to traditional is a florescent orange voyager hat. I have a nice wool capote, but unfortunately it's zackly the same color as a brown bear. And big as I am, guys aren't going to think twice when they see me wearing it in the woods, orange hat or not. :shocked2:

A wool capote suits our wet windy climate real well, and it's comfortable as can be while neither too warm nor cool. But I'm getting one in a different color, fer sure! :rotf:

I too have to wear blaze when deer hunting and I'm suppose to squirrel hunting...

Sometimes though a man has to do what a man has to do....

DeerCam002.jpg
[/img]

We (Penna) have the blaze orange law that requires it to be worn almost all the time with a few exceptions. Depending on weather, for small game I wear traditional garb including mocs. MY long hunter hat is covered with a B/O square of material held in place by a leather hat band. My outer garment is a B/O waistcoat made by Bell & Company. If it's raining, I stay home. For deer hunting the outfit is nearly the same with the addition of Duofold long johns and a heavy wool (traditional) shirt and frock. In snow I do cheat with footwear (insulated leather boots). Also in cold weather I switch from my long hunter hat to a B/O voyager.

Vern

During m/l season I'm a bit braver and wear just an orange vest.

Stumpy.jpg

My neighbor is an out-of-stater and he's had 10 guys driving his 20 acres (and mine - I'm not posted) and when it's regular season I'm either hat to ankles blaze orange or, if I'm feeling lucky, my red wool waiskit w/sleeves.

HPIM0386a.jpg

If the mood strikes me I'm also a fan of wool plaids. Warm and quiet.

HPIM1934.jpg

WashakRondy2.jpg

Gorgeus clothing! What is a good (read: youngster affordable) place to buy clothes from this era?

My favorite has sadly passed on to greener fields (Shirlee Pfiel/Bushwoman).

Jas Townsend & Son has some as does C&D Jarnagin. I have heard good things about Bell & Co. but never ordered from them. Bakertown Sutlers has great stuff . . . but they are not inexpensive. On the other hand - a wool greatcoat will last a lifetime if you treat it well. I wouldn't recommend you get into anything military reated until you find an outfit you may like to join. They can be "fussy" on the specifics of the clothing and colors. For civilian and militia - much easier. Note that a wool underlayer with a rifleman's smock on top can be nice and warm.

jas-townsend.com
http://www.jarnaginco.com
http://www.bellandcompanytraders.com
http://www.barkertownsutlers.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I always dree the part when i hunt, the majority of my hunting for both small and big game is done with period clothing and accessories.
redshirtlakehike3.jpg

George said:
Nice wall gun, roundball. :haha:
Spence
An old pre-longrifle photo...that's OK, they got it done in fine fashion for 18 years
:grin:
Can't remember who owns that one now as I've sold a number of them

flintlock75 said:
I always dree the part when i hunt, the majority of my hunting for both small and big game is done with period clothing and accessories.
redshirtlakehike3.jpg

Looks pretty darned Alaskan to me! :thumbsup:

roundball said:
An old pre-longrifle photo...that's OK, they got it done in fine fashion for 18 years. :grin:
That didn't come out right. I was thinking about the perspective of the photo. not the gun itself. The gun being closer to the camera makes it look beefy.

Spence

Latest posts

Back