• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 54 Lyman Deerstalker about 4 years ago, wish I still had it. Never had any problems with it. It shot 1" groups at 100 yards no problem.

I now have a 54 Trade rifle and the fit and finish is just as good on it as the deerstalker. Accuracy has yet to be determined but I have no doubts that once I find what it likes it will be just as accurate. Real nice piece a wood on this one.

I also have a TC Hawken and I haven't had any problems with it either.

The Lymans have more wood in their stocks, TC is thinner wood. I like the stout stocks myself and for hunting the single trigger the best. I can't tell any difference as far as quality, they are all nice rifles and do what I want them to do reliably.

I bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle this last summer and was very pleased with what I got. It was way nicer than anything I could find used in this area for the same money. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get the wedges to go in. Brownbear advised me (on another forum)that it would assemble nicely after I'd shot it a few times and he was right on the money.

I have several older Lymans in 50, 54, flint and cap. I personally like the GPH in .54 with T/C Maxis (I stocked up). I also like the Deerstalker for heavy woods. It's light, points well and is like a black powder carbine IMO. Both rifles are very accurate. I put the Lyman peeps on my GPH and my old eyes love 'em. One note on sights. I never owned a ML that didn't need customizing to my likes.
As for quality, I have few issues. The triggers are average but will smooth out a little over time. My main issue is the lock springs feel lighter than all of my other ML's. That said I've haven't had ignition issues it's just the feel. I also have a Pedersoli cap lock and the overall quality is much butter in fit and finish. The trigger though is actually worse.
You can't go wrong with those mentioned. I would seriously consider an older T/C Hawken or Renegade. I have a mid 70's Hawken in .50. It's a keeper.
Buy 'em, shoot 'em and enjoy 'em.

I have a flint .54 GPR and a percussion .54 Deerstalker, both purchased in the last year. I am very happy with both of them. My experience with Lyman products has been good, others may be different. Having used their molds, dies and presses for quite a few years, I have only had one issue with a mold being too small. The problem was taken care of by the retailer. I contacted them first.

Rick

pab1 said:
Mad Professor said:
I've had a Lyman plains rifle that was made in the late 1970s. It is much like a Cabelas or Investarms hawken and made by Investarms.

It is a good shooter with the 1-48 58 cal barrel with PRB or hornady great plains bullets. The bullets kick like a mule. It also came with a 62 cal smooth barrel.

That sounds like the Lyman Trade rifle.

Nope. Plains rifle. Came with a brass patch box and double set triggers. Also came with a rare 62 cal smoothie barrel. Looks a lot like a cabelas hawken but the patch box is different.

The only Lyman I have had to date is the Deerstalker. Minor issues when I first got it. The sling stud was always coming loose so I put some guntight blue on the screw and it hasn't loosened again. Replaced the vent liner with a RMC vent. Shoots great; plenty accurate. It does have a 14 1/2 length of pull that is a bit too long for me. It's a hefty little rifle and is easy to shoot offhand. I like mine; my first .54; one deer so far with it. Hits harder than my .50's

I have seen a few negative comments about the quality of the more recenty manufactured Lyman rifles. I cannot comment on those statements because I have owned a couple of the Lyman Great Plains rifles, one flintlock and one caplock, both of early manufacture and both were excellent guns. I don't know who manufactures the Lyman rifles and I don't know if there has been a change in manufacturers from the early ones to the more recent ones. I will say this, from my limited experience, if I were going to buy a used Lyman rifle, I'd be looking for a rifle of early manufacture but if I were going to buy a new Lyman rifle, I'd want to hold and inspect it before buying it. Only because there have been a few negative comments about recent Lyman quality. Just want to be cautious because where there is smoke, there could be fire.

I agree about handling one before buying and after the holidays I will try to do so. The problem is finding one. Any place within 50 miles of me does not any to inspect. In fact, traditional firearms and accessories are very, very hard to find. I will have to travel what ever distance is required to find one!

Here in Northwest PA just try to find a Lyman; they are just not out there. It's TC country and now that they are gone the prices are rising for used ones. I ordered my Deerstalker and made sure I could return it for a full refund if not happy and didn't fire it.

I rolled the dice for a little less than 4 bills and was happy I got it. The price has gone up a bit on them since I got mine about 4 years ago.
It has the stuff I want on a rifle; sling studs, fiber optics and 24" 15/16 tube. I like the handy carbines for the brush hunting I do; but then I'm a deerstalker. LOL.

If you buy a used one online any reputable dealer will give you a ton of good close up pics and a ten day insp period. However, the downside to it of course is that should you decide you don't like it you'll be stuck with the return shipping.

Shooting a percussion GPR .40 and a flinter .54.
Both are good guns.
Got a 15/16" .30 bore barrel that needs to get refit to be a drop-in for the flinter.

I put a GM 40 cal barrel on my GPR earlier this yr, bought it new, and I just simply CANNOT find a load it will shoot decently. Back during the summer I stumbled on a load that consists of 45 gr 3f .400 cast ball, 015 linen patch w/ 1 to 6 Ballistol/water for patch lube. I shot two grps from the bench at 50 yrds with that load one grp was about an inch the other about an inch and a quarter. I left the range that day tickled absolutely pink. I became tickled too easily. I have tried since to duplicate the performance of those first two grps with that exact load many times and the absolute best I can get out of it to date is a lousy 3 to 4 inches. I've tried just about every load combination possible. I'm totally disgusted with it to the point that I don't know what else to try, or do with it. :( I've already spent a small fortune trying to get that rifle to shoot. Worst part of it all is that I don't have plenty of money to just toss around like that on stuff that won't work. The discouragement of it all is absolutely eating me alive. :( I feel like that with the cost of the barrel and all the other money I've spent trying to get this thing to shoot equals hundreds of dollars just simply wasted. :(

It's funny how some guns are that way. I've been luck and only had a few that way, centerfire too. I have a 36 that is not quite as good as I would like but it's coming around slowly. Hopefully I get it there. I'd like to hunt small game with it some day.

I know, right? It just totally behooves me to no end how it shot that one load so perfectly two times in a row, but since then, it or any other load on paper is like looking at rat s--t in a dresser drawer scattered all over the place. I'm so mentally damaged by this that I don't know if I'll ever be confident enough to buy anything else. It's absolutely terrible. The only option I really have left is to do a little more powder charge adjusting up or down. If that don't work she's toast, and that is exactly what I wanted it for...target shooting/squirrel hunting.

I know what you mean there. Went through it with a 7mm Mauser. I even went as far as to buy another one since I the reloading setup. Have you tried Dutch Schultz system? I haven't got it yet but the way people talk about it, if anything could help, it would.

As a matter of fact I have used the Dutch system. I got it before I got the GM barrel. The system works wonderfully in my two 50 cals, a GPR, and a CVA MR, so I know it's not the 'system' that's faulty. The load I mentioned above for the 40 cal GM bbl...45 gr 3f .400 cast ball, 015 linen patch w/ 1 to 6 Ballistol/water for patch lube.....is per the 'system' as well. I shot those two grps with .015 linen patch and the 1/6 Ballistol/water lube but have never been able to even come close to duplicating them since. The barrel is 1/48 twist. It sure does seem like an awfully light load, but I wonder if 45 grs of 3f is pushing the ball too fast.

mtmanjim said:
As a matter of fact I have used the Dutch system. I got it before I got the GM barrel. The system works wonderfully in my two 50 cals, a GPR, and a CVA MR, so I know it's not the 'system' that's faulty. The load I mentioned above for the 40 cal GM bbl...45 gr 3f .400 cast ball, 015 linen patch w/ 1 to 6 Ballistol/water for patch lube.....is per the 'system' as well. I shot those two grps with .015 linen patch and the 1/6 Ballistol/water lube but have never been able to even come close to duplicating them since. The barrel is 1/48 twist. It sure does seem like an awfully light load, but I wonder if 45 grs of 3f is pushing the ball too fast.

And based solely on this statement, I wonder if you need to spend more time working up a proper load for it before complaining that your barrel doesn't work :idunno:

I've found that my 1:48" twist barrels work better with lighter loads, while 1:60" twist seem to be more accurate with heavier powder charges.

Maybe you could contact Mr. Schoultz. He may have some avenues for you. Anyway, can't hurt.

Considering that I found 73 grains of 2Æ’Æ’ perfect for my .two .45 caliber rifles, your load of 35 grains seems a bit light for a .40 caliber rifle.

Using the olde time rule of a grain and ahal for each caliber unit you should probably be using something closer to 60 grains.

Risk it. Try gradually increasing your powder charge til the groups tighten up.

Just a thoght.

Dutch

Back