• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minnies in a Zouave ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha no didn't think you was jumping on me, your post was most excellent.

No I don't actually hunt Grizz, but I do hunt in "thier living room" as my wife puts it. So, if I meet Mr.Grizz and he won't let me walk away, that's why I like a little heavier load than is required for the game I'm hunting.

I'm also trying for two very large black-bears I've located, and it just seems a good idea to have a little extra "whompability" to hopefully drop them where I shoot them.

Yep...Plinking and Hunting loads...two different things.

Rat

That's what we want! A little excitement is what makes this fun. And you caused us to bring up some points that we haven't really thought about.
What I was told when shooting round ball was to start at 10 grs. of powder per tenth of an inch bore size. In other words, .40 cal- 40 grs.; .50 cal- 50 grs., and then work up or down to get the best accuracy and penetration. I shoot a .40 flintlock and I have found that I get my best overall accuracy and distance out to 100 yds. with a 50 gr. charge. With muskets shooting a Minie, I base my load on the 60 gr. charge. For 50 yd. targets I do better with 30-40 gr. charges depending on the bullet weight. If I use a thick skirted bullet I need at least 50-60 grs. to expand it into the rifling. My barrel is a six groove match barrel with progressive depth rifling. You will probably get different results in a standard three groove barrel. Too hot a load in a shallow groove barrel could strip the bullet, especially if the twist is rapid.
Each of us has their own methods of working up a load, based on what we were taught and what we find that works best for our guns. Some use the bullet weight rather than the caliber to get a base figure for their load. In the case of conical expanding bullets this is probably the best route. For military muskets using the Minie, the base load established by the Ordnance Dept. Was 60 grs. in the .58 cal. weapons. For targets and plinking I would work down. For hunting big game such as Deer, 60 grs. is a good place to start. For extra long shots on Deer and Elk or dangerous game such as Grizzly you can up the load like rat does to 80 or 100. Just keep in mind the condition of your gun because these heavy bullets can build pressures up. Also keep in mind the rate and depth of twist and that a higher velocity can cause a Minie to strip, especially if it fits very loose to start with. It may not open enough to grab the rifling. And always remember your comfort. If your gun recoils excessively, you'll find yourself flinching which you know will wreck your accuracy, not to mention make you a very tired and sore camper after a day of practice.
:m2c: :results:

I missed your last post. It was on another page. I don't blame you for loading heavy just in case. Where I hunt (behind my house), we don't have any Grizzlies. There have been a few Black Bears sighted in the past few years, but I've not seen any, just a little sign. I do get a little "narvous" when I'm hunting in one particular holler and all I have is a little .40.
I guess I get a little defensive sometimes when I am questioned about some item concerning the old Ordnance Dept. tests and reports. I sure can't call myself an expert but I've read and studied so much of it and put some of it into practice that I feel comfortable about what I'm talking about. Then I get kinda silly. I sure don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm a know it all. Cause I don't! I have really enjoyed these discussions. My wife won't talk about this stuff and it makes me feel good that there are other people out there with the same condition I have. So if I do reply to a post and sound like I feel that I sounded like, just overlook it. It's this condition I have, see....
:yakyak: :: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Just double checked. Lee has a mold they call "oversize" at .578. Check them out at[url] leeprecision.com[/url]. (Never have figured out how to do a real link. But it is on the LINKS page.)

:m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a new sizer for my original style Minies recently. My barrel is .577 cal. like the original Enfields although it is on a Richmond rifle musket which is actually the Confederate copy of the 1855 Springfield. I measured the bore and found that it is actually .576 from land to land. I like .005 windage, which would make the sizer .571 but I messed up and bored it .570. The thousandth of an inch didn't hurt anything. I should have made it about .573 though. I couldn't use those oversize bullets. I would like to find a mold for what we call a "Trashcan" Minie. It is an excellent target bullet, very much like a wadcutter. It does very well at the 50 yd. range that we often shoot at, and makes a very clean hole that makes even the fussiest score keeper happy. Maybe I'll have to check out the Links page and see what Lee has to offer. Thanks.
:thumbsup:

I would like to find a mold for what we call a "Trashcan" Minie. It is an excellent target bullet, very much like a wadcutter.
What you are looking for is the Lee (#90475) - Modern Minie, Target Design .575-470M. I began using this Minie in my Zouave and J.P. Murray Carbine while I was a member of the 14th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (N-SSA).

Thanks a heap, Matt! I've been keeping my eyes open for that mold, but it's pretty scarce around here. Now that I know the model number maybe it'll be easier to find. I've shot a few that were given to me years ago and my six groove barrel liked them a lot. Thanks again. :master:

By the way, when I was in reenacting, I was in the 1st Tennessee Regt. (P.A.C.S.) of Archer's Brigade, which also contained the 14th Tennessee (reenactor not N-SSA).
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back