• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MuzzleBlasts Magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie said:
By the way, anyone in the Phoenix area, don't forget:
The Western National Shoot will be held February 22-27 at Ben Avery Shooting Range 25 miles North of Phoenix. Folks from all over the Nation compete at this event and they always have Real Black Powder for sale. :)

NUFF SAID.... :winking:

This thread is always funny...it's kind of like "my Chevy is better than your Ford"...
"is not"
"is so"
"is not"
"is so"

:rotf:

Anyone going to the Ben Avery Range should also drop into Pioneer Village. Literally right on the other side of the hill from the Ben Avery range, it's worth a trip. Do a search on this forum to learn more about this place.

Zonie - you received February already? I just got my January issue of Muzzle Blasts yesterday (Feb. 1). Must be something to do with the Sierra Nevada being too high of a mountain range for the mule to climb.

Gary --

I got mine a week ago.

A friend subscribes to "Muzzleloader". We swap, my two monthly issues for his bimonthly.

Regarding various posts concerning the NMLRA --

Occasionally there will be an issue of the magazine with nothing in it that much interests me. Usually there are at least one or two articles in every one that don't (but I can say the same about "Muzzleloader"). If the magazine were geared specifically to me and to my interests (even though most of the people on this forum, by and large, share them), it would suddenly cease to be popular with a lot of people whose $40 a year spends just as well as mine does. The NMLRA has to do a balancing act. Right now, IMHO, they're not doing as well at it as I'd like. I weigh what they have to offer me against stuff I don't have any interest in, then decide whether the tightrope act is worth the price of admission. So far it has been. Others, obviously, have considered the various factors and found that the cons outweigh the pros. More power to them -- they shouldn't be required or expected to spend money they don't want to.

BTW, I live six miles from Friendship and have probably used the range there maybe once a year, on average, in the twelve years I've been here, so the argument that I'm more tolerant of the NMLRA because I'm close to it doesn't hold water. I'm tolerant because -- I just am. I'm not even sure I have a standard of perfection, so I'm not really in the position to hold anyone to it.

bpb said:
NMLRA
Besides the magazine:
Member's Benefits...
...Rendezvous
The National Rendezvous and Living History Foundation sponsors national rendezvous throughout the United States, and a vaild NMLRA membership card will save you $10 off the cost of attending these functions. NRLHF rendezvous are the best there are. The Association supports these rendezvous through free advertising and promotion of events through Muzzle Blasts magazine.
Become a member!
I just joined today! - but it was before I read this post. Now, some of you choose to join or not to join for very noble causes - me... purely mercenary! I was registering for the Southeastern rondezvous and since I'm planning on going to the Eastern as well, between my wife and I, we would save $20 for each event, thus rendering the cost of the membership a "wash". If we go to the Northeastern or the Old Northwest as well, we'd come out ahead.

bpb said:
NMLRA Gun Safe
NMLRA members can purchase a high-quality gun safe, decorated with the Association's logo, at a money-saving price, just by being members.
:hmm: Hmmm, how tall is this safe? :winking:

well said zonie i to enjoy muzzle blasts not every thing interests me but i find enough in every issue that its worthwhile buying kind of like this forum some ereas dont interest me i just dont go there.
curly maple

Well said, CM, I too enjoy most of MB but not everything. I find very little in this world that's perfect and exactly like I think it should be. However, any group that's supporting muzzleloading I try to offer support rather than
run them down because they may not be perfect.
Thank's Zonie for your support of the NMLRA.

You're absolutely correct Deadeye. Nothing in this world of ours is perfect nor will it ever be. There are things about both magazines that I like and some of which I find of little interest in. I happen to really like Jim Crutchfields' articals as well as the Bevel Brothers in the Muzzle Blasts magazine and I also enjoy Mike Nesbitts' in the Muzzleoader. By the way, I just received my subsciption renewal notice for $40.00 for the Muzzle Blasts and I'm fully intent on renewing my membership with the NMLRA. The NMLRA may not be the lobbying powerhouse that the NRA is but I still feel compelled to support the organization. I truly believe that the NMLRA is truly trying to represent us fellow frontstuffers best interests. Kind of reminds me of the old saying: United we stand, divided we fall.

Zonie said:
I've been getting MuzzleBlasts for over 10 years and I have enjoyed them all. In fact issues dating from 1995 thru Feb 2006 are in a special magazine rack I built and placed right next to the throne. :redface:
That way I always have something I enjoy reading to start my day off with. :grin:
:hmm: A magazine rack, eh? My "Muzzle Blasts" are just stacked in a pile next to the throne(along with a few "BlacKpowder Hunting" mags).

Perhaps a new slogan for the NMLRA is in order; "Start your day with a blast - Muzzle Blasts!" :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just so you dont get me wrong... I reuped my $40 ect, its just that I really belive that 2001 thru 2004 had much more for everyone. Yes its had some good stuff this last year but it doesnt seem to "to me" to add up to what was. Like the "First scope on a rifle in the Rev war" things like that.hope they never loose the greats like the"brothers" ect it just to me doesnt have as much ? Im not sure what I'd call it. And I cant remember seeing any :cursing: rifle things, I dont remember who on here posted a thing about older shooters not going back to Friendship except to shop, that I've heard from Life members myself but they never will say why? That I'd think will be a problem someone should look into we loose to many of those... :hatsoff: Fred

The reasons the old timers don't go are known. The inclusion has excluded them. They will return when the NMLRA honors their mission statement. Until then, it should be called the NMMLRA.

In all the times I've been to Friendship, I don't recall ever seeing an inline on the firing line.

BTW, the "scope" on the flintlock rifle during the American Revolution is real. I've read the diary of Charles Wilson Peale and he does go into some detail that leaves it certain that he wasn't talking about anything other than an optical sight. He did not mention using it in battle and as an officer, it was unlikely that he would have carried anything other than a sword (or his paint brush - he was a painter, you know).

susie s said:
Shoots at Friendship are self-supporting-no membership money is used. Susie

Well I am sure Moneys from General Membership Dues Payment Support the Friendship Facility/Staff with some of the Moneys Paying.

Employees Salaries

Utilities

Insurance

Employee Benefits

Maintenance

and how many more things.

BTW Susie do you know the number of Shooters participating in the (2) Big Shoots in Friendship, and if they really pay all the expenses involved with have that shoot?

Plus supporting Payments upon that Fancy NEW $300,000.00 TRAILER Park on the Friendship Facility that will hold what is it 60ish Trailers/MotorHomes :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The NMLRA is a a Membership Declining mode from it once high Membership Number of 28,000+ Members to it Present level of WAY BELOW 20,000 Members.

Think part of the reason is Members, and Potential Members in year 2006 have many more opportunities to spend their recreational dollar on, like a trip to Disneyland’s 50 Anniversary. Plus the NMLRA does little self promotion on a National Level.

I can not say I ever remember seeing any NMLRA Promotional Ads in any Gun, or Hunting Related Publications. Or even any NMLRA Informational Booths even at Phoenix Area gun Show in the last 4 years. Even with the NMLRA holding one of their National Shoots Annually in the PHX Area.

If you don’t live close to the NMLRA Home Facility in friendship, it just don’t make sense to me to pay $40.00 a year for Muzzle Blast.

I support many shooting sports organizations.

NRA, NMLRA, TMA, YHEC, Boy Scouts...

I would not want to damage the NMLRA even though they include some areas that I do not appreciate.

I will not likely drive back to Indiana to shoot and do not read the info on the results, but I still enjoy Muzzle Blasts. (I also buy and enjoy Muzzleloader) I do participate in the local and state shoots where I happen to be living. We are atttempting to organize one here in South Carolina. My instructor certification is through the NMLRA and they are the authority unless or until someone steps up with credibility and replaces that function. Doubtful. They provide the framework for most state shoots and organizations. It would be difficult to imagine another group replacing all of the ML community needs anytime soon. Even then, the money involved in the other interests will present the inevitable argument that in-lines are MLs too and that there is money to be had and members to recruit...

Some actually seem to be deriving some satisfaction from the declining numbers of NMLRA membership!

Let's bolster all of our pro-gun organizations rather than ripping the ones that do not focus on our interests as much as we would like. We need allies -- not enemies.

CS

CrackStock said:
Some actually seem to be deriving some satisfaction from the declining numbers of NMLRA membership!

I've never been a member, but from what I've been reading on the forum, people have failed to renew their membership in protest.

I guess that people who have paid their dues over the years and watched the group stray farther from it's original goals are feeling vindicated by the declining numbers. After all, when you quit an organization that you feel has betrayed you, it's only natural to enjoy watching it decline.

I'm guessing that is where there "satisfaction" comes from.

Dale Brown said:
I've never been a member, but from what I've been reading on the forum, people have failed to renew their membership in protest.

I guess that people who have paid their dues over the years and watched the group stray farther from it's original goals are feeling vindicated by the declining numbers.

Well the Organization has changed, and so has Muzzleloading. In 1933 When the NMLRA was formed there was No Pyrodex, No BP Substitute, No Inlines, and it was all Traditional Front Stuffers.

Today 2006 if you look at the Advertisement in Muzzle Blast you see ads for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles & Supplies, Pyrodex, BP Substitute, Inlines. Think those ads are nessessary to keep the magazine in the black.

Funny thing is that many who use to come to the Range I go to and volunteer at use to come with their inlines, and several have made the Switch to Traditional Type Percussion Rifles, or Flinters as they saw the fun in Traditional Muzzleloaders.

Think if Muzzle Blast & the NMLRA stopped taking ads from those who sell Black Powder Cartridge Rifles & Supplies, Pyrodex, BP Substitute, & Inlines Muzzle Blast would be about 1/2 the size it is, and the NMLRA Dues would jump up again to maybe 50-75 Buck/year.

Also advertising rates/page, or partial page advertising rates are based upon circulation that is tied directly to Membership.

Again photo, and editorial rates paid to contributing writer & photographers would is again based upon membership. As the membership is the circulation of the magazine.

Another reason to build Muzzle Blast into a Magazine that could be sold on the New Stand to Non Members like the American Rifleman.

This would also boost advertising rates based upon the extra copies sold/circulation on the News Stand when the ABC Audits Circulation.

Plus you could attract more contributing gun writers & photographers to Muzzle Blast with higher rate paid for stories & photo packages.... :)

Wow! What a load. How about they just honor their mission statement so the membership goes back up and charge what is needed to fullfill the mission? What a unique idea!!! personal honestly, integrity, and responsibility! Paying your way as a new idea!

In my opinion, the best, indeed, the only way to change an organization is to belong to the organization and make ones feelings known.

Quiting, or failing to join the organization results in the views and opnions in dissension being unheard, unknown or discredited as the rantings of an outsider.
No creditable organization changes itself to please outsiders.

Those who have chosen to drop their NMLRA membership have become outsiders.
While they could (and should) have worked on the inside towards changing or redirecting the organization towards their idea of what it should be, they have chosen to shut off communiction and now seem to wonder why no one is listening.

Something to think about. :hmm: :hmm:

Zonie- You need to read my initial post more carefully. I don't think anyone enjoyed the magazine any more than I. I decided not to renew my membership in the NMLRA because I was ridiculed and subjected to personal attacks by some NMLRA officers and BOD members BECAUSE I objected to the addition of the black powder cartridge rifle aggregate to the NMLRA Territorial program. To further qualify myself, I have been the Territorial match director six times when our local NMLRA charter club was the sponsering club for the Territorials in Mississippi. I got the distinct feeling that I was the one out of step for not wanting the BPCR aggregate in the program.
Be Well, Bill

Back