• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MuzzleBlasts Magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree with you more ghost, I am about an hour away and go 3 or 4 times a year. Like shoping at the spring and fall shoots and visiting old friends. As far as the $40 dues I subscribe to a couple street rod and motorcycle magazines that run that much so the NMLRA is a bargain to me.

I have to agree with you and Pawbill, I left when the I..L...thing got to be to much , but as yet see no reason we cant let the boys who load from the wrong end use the range when we arent, and Friendship is to far for me. But what is really getting me down is Muz Blast it's nothing like back in 2002,3,4 all these things on how to shoot better , make better guns , ect. Just nothing of intrest for me in them now , the one saveing thing out of all this is back issues..I'm haveing a field day reading the old ones ,anyone that hasnt seen a few from 2003 on back needs to just to see how good it once was and for a buck and a half it's not to much to pay to get a few good yrs worth . All that just my two cents :yakyak: :v Fred :hatsoff:

It's not just letting the breechloaders use the range when we aren't. The NMLRA added a black powder cartridge aggregate to the Territorial program.
Bill

Pawbill said:
It's not just letting the breechloaders use the range when we aren't. The NMLRA added a black powder cartridge aggregate to the Territorial program.
Bill

Kind of go aginst the definition of "ML" in NMLRA, doesn't it? :hmm: :shocked2:

T-bone

Old Pilgrim, Iv'e been a member pf the NMLRA for a few years now. How nice is that complex in Friendship Indiana? I really think I'd like to visit it sometime. It actually kind of sounds like Camp Perry. Am I far off?

Never having been to Camp Perry I can't compare the two. As far as Freindship they have a nice youth range, rifle, chunck gun and pistol range all with covered firing lines. There is also Skeet and a nice Quail walk for shotguns. The primitive side of the range has a nice woods walk along with the other assorted ranges plus hawk and bow. Plenty of primative plus modern camp sites available. there are plenty of dealers there so if your looking for something it's probably there. Freindship is a very small town but it is a treat to visit when the shoots are a going.
If you ever get the chance you should consider attending at least once, it's realy neat to drive down into the valley and into town and hear the firing lines before you get close to them.
Sorry about the lengty reply.

Old Pilgrim, that was hardly what I'd call a lengthy reply. Sounds like a great time out there in Friendship. Been to several Rendezvous and it sounds as thogh you get those kind of friendly folks out there. You also stated that you have lot's of vendors also. Yeah it sounds like Camp Perry. I've definately got to check this place out sometime!

It was asked whether Muzzle Blasts covers percussion guns, civil war rifles and pistols. I recall seeing a first hand account a while back about one Civil War soldier in battle.

I've been told that in a few months, Muzzle Blasts will be printing an article about long range shooting with the bullets that replaced the time honored round ball. Said article will include eyewitness battlefield accounts.

BTW, like Crockett, I subscribe to both MuzzleLoader and Muzzle Blasts. Twice the fun and you can never go wrong on blackpowder reading.

I've seen quite a bit concerning Caplock (Precussion) guns over the years. In fact, in the Feb issue is a article on shooting a 14 gauge Caplock shotgun!

I've been getting MuzzleBlasts for over 10 years and I have enjoyed them all. In fact issues dating from 1995 thru Feb 2006 are in a special magazine rack I built and placed right next to the throne. :redface:
That way I always have something I enjoy reading to start my day off with. :grin:

Oh, Gary, the Feb 2006 issue got to Phoenix yesterday so your copy may arrive in San Francisco sometime in the next 4 weeks! :rotf: :blah: :grin: Look for the unbelivable scrimshaw on the flattened Powder Horn on the cover! :)

Gary said:
I've been told that in a few months, Muzzle Blasts will be printing an article about long range shooting with the bullets that replaced the time honored round ball. Said article will include eyewitness battlefield accounts.

Any idea who the author of this article will be. :grin:

T-bone said:
Pawbill said:
Bill

[Kind of goes aginst the definition of "ML" in NMLRA, doesn't it?]
And I'm quite sure against what the
founder had in mind when he started the org.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Ok you got hem back to 95 too. So do I put you on the spot if I ask "isn;t the 2000 thru 2004 have 10 times as much great shooting stuff as this last years?" Some of them had 2or3 things on long range, the South African and 1000 yds beating the "load at the wrong end guys" and 2 or 3 other things on the Brit long range guns in just a issue or two . The Cox Bench shooting series!! Round ball shooting, must of been a half dozen how to shoot better things. Ive just got back into the 80s buying back issuses, anyone wanting the good stuff should be doing this. Least anyone has forgot read the NMLRA PLATFORM and NMLRA MISSION STATEMENT " MUZZLELOADING" being the key word . thanks for letting me spend my 2 cents I reupped the other day , its becuse of my kids pc I dont know how to use and this spot on it. Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
Ok you got hem back to 95 too. So do I put you on the spot if I ask "isn;t the 2000 thru 2004 have 10 times as much great shooting stuff as this last years?" Some of them had 2or3 things on long range, the South African and 1000 yds beating the "load at the wrong end guys" and 2 or 3 other things on the Brit long range guns in just a issue or two . The Cox Bench shooting series!! Round ball shooting, must of been a half dozen how to shoot better things. Ive just got back into the 80s buying back issuses, anyone wanting the good stuff should be doing this. Least anyone has forgot read the NMLRA PLATFORM and NMLRA MISSION STATEMENT " MUZZLELOADING" being the key word . thanks for letting me spend my 2 cents I reupped the other day , its becuse of my kids pc I dont know how to use and this spot on it. Fred :hatsoff:

I look at the following high-lighted words as being the "key-words",..........

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association exists to promote, support, nurture, and preserve NMLRA's and our nation's rich historical heritage in the sport of muzzleloading through recreational, educational, historical, and cultural venues such as match competition, hunting, gun making and safety, historical re-enactments, exhibits, museums, libraries, and other related programs.

As an association founded upon our heritage of early American firearms, we declare our support of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

We are dedicated to:

The understanding of, and the ability in, marksmanship with early American muzzleloading firearms.

My question is:.... are modern inlines and blackpowder cartridge guns, to be included in our rich historical heritage of early American muzzleloading??

Personaly I don't think so and I doubt the NMLRA's founders would either, but the founders are no longer here to speak aginst the direction the organization is headed and the organization is suffering.

T-bone

Flyboy, I've been going to Perry for years and went to Friendship once a few years ago. My first impression of the ranges is they are a lot ruffer than even the huts at perry. To be fair I haven't seen the new campground or the improvements to the primitive ranges. The primitive side of the road was quite nice but the longrange side was old and used up. That said, I will go again when I have the time. All the venders though not in as nice digs and at Perry, they are there and have anything you could want. The Gunmakers building is GREAT!!! The people were great! I'll keep my membership in NMLRA, though the mag isn't Buckskinner isn't bad and it does come every month. :grin:

Jon

I would love the magazine. I can't get it tho. To get it would mean providing to support for inlines and black powder cartridge guns. It would mean supporting the game taken with modern high power rifles that just happen to load from the muzzle being in the same book with those killed with traditional guns. It would mean that I support all of the cheats being used in the muzzleloader season. That would be like sleeping in the same bed with abomination for me. When the NMLRA returns to honoring their mission statement, I will purchase the magazine. I have absolutely no interest in membership at all, but I support the mission statement that they no longer honor.

Thank's for the reply Jon. Sounds like one hell of a time out their in Friendship. I'm going to have to try and get out there sometime.

Muzzle Blast is what you get with your NMLRA Membership weather you live in Indiana, or India. IMO the Magazine is not a News Stand Quality Publication, as if it was it would be sold on the News Stand I can only assume.

If you notice a lot of the editorial content of muzzle blast is centered toward shoot results in Friendship, Phoenix, and other Territorial Venues. If you are not into Target Shooting, Winning Medals, or National titles, this is of little intreats to you.

I personally feel many of the subject covered in Muzzle Blast like Gun Building, Horn Building, Knife Making, etc. are cover better on the many web-site on the net, and Muzzle Loading Related Discussion Forums.

As far as the other NMLRA Membership Benefit are concerned they are IMO not worth the $40.00/year annual membership fee to belong to the NMLRA.

If you live with in an hour drive of Friendship that you got a range were you can shoot, and that is a benefit of membership.

But it would be like asking a person in Indiana to spend $20.00 to belong to my local Sportsman Club, who's Range I can access 7 x 24 x 365 for the $20.00/year. That is a great deal for me.

NMLRA Membership has been declining the last 10 years, and the power to be that run the NMLRA. The Board of Directors apparently does not seem to be concerned, as if they were they would try and gather information to see why Members, and a lot of Long Term Members have quit the organization.
:hmm:

Runner said:
I would love the magazine. I can't get it tho. To get it would mean providing to support for inlines and black powder cartridge guns. It would mean supporting the game taken with modern high power rifles that just happen to load from the muzzle being in the same book with those killed with traditional guns. It would mean that I support all of the cheats being used in the muzzleloader season. That would be like sleeping in the same bed with abomination for me. When the NMLRA returns to honoring their mission statement, I will purchase the magazine. I have absolutely no interest in membership at all, but I support the mission statement that they no longer honor.
I am at a loss as to understanding this post--just how does my membership support all of these things? And even if they did, so what? The NMLRA still supports traditional MLing shooting and the other things associated with that, including numerous rondies throughout the country. It is the only organization of any size that does support MLing. I, too regret the intrusion of the inlines, but see little evidence of it in the magazine. I have seen no cartridge stuff in the mag--at least not yet. I was raised up shooting cartridge guns and still own a bunch--havn't noticed any horns sticking out of my head--no pointy tail...If you don't like an org change you try to fix it from within--not quit!
I am reminded of a fly fishing site I frequented for a while: people were so extremely narrow that if the word "spinning" was used they would fly into all sorts of rage and invective. Spin fishermen were the devils themselves! And OH, Lordy! don't mention bait casters! Get real folks!

I vote with my wallet, which unfortunately is all most groups understand anymore.

A group that allows modern inlines and cartridge guns does not honor or uphold the mission statement of the NMLRA. If they can not honor their own purpose, why should I honor them with support? That mission statement should be changed to reflect the truth of their stance. Right now it is just like the CVA sidelock logo. It used to mean something. Now it is a lie. I refuse to be part of the destruction of the mission that statement refers to. That is exactly what I would be doing if I sent money to the NMLRA.

I live in an area where Friendship used to mean something. I participate in groups that used to be almost 100 percent NMLRA members. The only ones still members that I know of are those that get their clubs insurance thru the NMLRA, and if another insurance source appears, they will be gone too. It is bad enough here that a gentleman asked me if I was attending the State Championship shoot and I had never heard of it. I spent a month asking every weekend and never found anyone that had been to it except one new guy. Most of the clubs did not know about it, and they are NMLRA affiliates. What used to be a force in the muzzleloading world has become the Walmart of Muzzleloading and nothing else. None of the traditional folks from here go to Friendship except to shop.

Gentlemen: My Post is to inform those who may not be aware of the existance of MuzzleBlasts magazine that it exists.
In my opinion, it is worth the money it costs to subscribe to it.

Has it improved in recent years and published more of the articles that I want to see? IMO, some issues are better than others. Some old issues don't have much that interests me. The same can be said for some new issues, but all issues have something I want to read.

Does it have too much information about the organization in it? Perhaps, but it is after all, the official monthly report on the NMLRA.

Do I like every article? No, but the same can be said for MuzzleLoader magazine and the other magazines I subscribe to.

Do I care if the NMLRA permits someone to shoot BPCRs on their range? No. (I have yet to see an article about BPCRs appear in this magazine.)

Do I care if the NMLRA includes modern muzzleloaders trophys in the Hunting Section? Yes and No. I think they should have a seperate class and section for them, but they are muzzleloaders. I never read that area anyway.

Isn't MuzzleLoader better? That depends on the issue. Sometimes they have a lot of what interests me, sometimes not much that interests me.
Both magazines are very good.
From a cost standpoint, MuzzleBlasts costs $40/12 or $3.33 per issue. MuzzleLoader costs $22/6 or $3.67 each.

As I implyed when I started this post, some folks have an intense hatred for the NMLRA for one reason or another. That is thier choice, not mine. I do feel they are missing some interesting information but if they are happy with themselves who am I to say they are wrong?

By the way, anyone in the Phoenix area, don't forget:
The Western National Shoot will be held February 22-27 at Ben Avery Shooting Range 25 miles North of Phoenix. Folks from all over the Nation compete at this event and they always have Real Black Powder for sale. :)

Latest posts

Back