• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Build Log #16

Butt Fits

I've got the butt plate fit and installed. I didn't need to go with the final option on repairing the top screw holes. No, the plate isn't perfectly flush all around, but it's much improved since I took a rubber mallet to its curved section and gave it a few whacks in a couple places. Maybe it still needs one more. And, like the man said, don't torque down those top screws into the JB Weld too tight. Anyway for now, the top lines up perfectly with the tang, and so it's good enough to proceed with stock sanding in that area when I get to it. I found the Sharpie transfer marking to be very helpful. You don't even need to refresh it every time you mark. I'm a real convert to the transfer marking method. No more of this "by look and by feel" stuff for me.

kibler_69.png

kibler_70.png

After I finished this I realized I hadn't gone shooting all week. Maybe I gotta take a day off from my build and see if I still know how to shoot.

I hear ya. Here's the Kibler video on draw filing:

That's the technique I plan to use. They say it goes much faster. We'll see.

... if there's a way to stretch it out, leave it to me ...

I watched the video & applied the method to my barrel. James has much more experiance doing it, place his file is in better condition than mine. Took me about 30 minutes to get 2 flats done. My milling cuts are deeper than the barrel in James video. All in all a figure a 4 hour time period vs the 25 i was looking at is good deal.

Build Log #17

Metal Testing

Just a quickie this morning. I'm undecided on which metal finishing treatment I'm going to use. The Jax Black product interests me because of its speed and ease of application. But I want to see how it looks on my metal on my rifle. So, I volunteered my butt plate for metal finish testing. I think this product does best on a polished finish, so I polish up and clean one side of the butt plate:
kibler_71.png

One extra benefit of polishing is that you discover the surface is not nearly as smooth and perfect as you thought it was!!

So, I get set up with the appropriate tools and materials:
kibler_72.png

After a single application and rinse it looks a little streaky:
kibler_73.png

I do some steel wooling and a second application and rinse. Note that if steel wool is used in between coats, the item needs to be recleaned before the next application:
kibler_74.png

That's a more consistent appearance, but a little darker than I want, so I do more steel wooling, then clean, then oil, then lay it on the butt stock to see what it looks like:
kibler_75.png

Hmmm. Maybe I steel wooled a little too much or too hard. But I'm not sure if that's the "look" I want. Sigh. Will have to do another test with another product, I guess.

But, meanwhile, Бубски is calling out to me for some rounds through his barrel:
bubski.png

Бубски ("Bubski") is a rather ratty and mismatched Norinco SKS that I've bubba'ed into an SG Works bullpup chassis.

Last edited:
Build Log #17

Metal Testing

Just a quickie this morning. I'm undecided on which metal finishing treatment I'm going to use. The Jax Black product interests me because of its speed and ease of application. But I want to see how it looks on my metal on my rifle. So, I volunteered by butt plate for metal finish testing. I think this product does best on a polished finish, so I polish up and clean one side of the butt plate:
View attachment 236552

One extra benefit of polishing is that you discover the surface is not nearly as smooth and perfect as you thought it was!!

So, I get set up with the appropriate tools and materials:
View attachment 236553

After a single application and rinse it looks a little streaky:
View attachment 236554

I do some steel wooling and a second application and rinse. Note that if steel wool is used in between coats, the item needs to be recleaned before the next application:
View attachment 236555

That's a more consistent appearance, but a little darker than I want, so I do more steel wooling, then clean, then oil, then lay it on the butt stock to see what it looks like:
View attachment 236556

Hmmm. Maybe I steel wooled a little too much or too hard. But I'm not sure if that's the "look" I want. Sigh. Will have to do another test with another product, I guess.

But, meanwhile, Бубски is calling out to me for some rounds through his barrel:
View attachment 236557

Бубски ("Bubski") is a rather ratty and mismatched Norinco SKS that I've bubba'ed into an SG Works bullpup chassis.
I like it. Thank you the build along. I'm almost ready pull the trigger on smr

Build Log #18

Pipe Fitting

I've got them numbered:
kibler_76.png

... because fit depends on position.

Made a little sanding block for the ramrod channel:
kibler_77.png

... from the over-length ramrod dowel.

If the ramrod dowel is a little too fat to fit the pipes:
kibler_78.png

... stick it in a drill and spin it against sandpaper.

A Dremel can be your friend or your enemy. Here, the cutter fits the channel perfectly, and could be used to clean and square the inlet:
kibler_79.png

... but be very, very cautious and use a low speed with a very, very light touch. One little twitch and you're through the side of the inlet and your stock is ruined.

Transfer marking with a Sharpie:
kibler_80.png

But don't forget to mark the ends, because that's the real clue about what needs trimming:
kibler_81.png

... because you can see the end of the pipe isn't centered on the channel. I found that this pipe's tab needed some faily considerable filing to get the pipe centered and flush with the channel.

But regardless of pipe fit shown by marking your final test for fit is whether or not the ramrod goes through the pipe and into the stock:
kibler_82.png

Not sure why you’re finishing metal at this point? You still have wood to remove, up to those parts. That will damage whatever finish you put on the metal.
Put it all together first, file and sand, then finish wood and metal at that point.

You say this is a "log" not intended to be a "how to guide" yet you wrote this last entry as a set of instructions. This is "NOT" a proper way to inlet ramrod pipes or any part of a gun stock. Never use a Dremel for inletting. It is a recipe for disaster!

Not sure why you’re finishing metal at this point?
It's testing various products and methods to decide which to use for finish. I thought I made that clear?

Don't worry; I fully intend to sand and finish the stock before I finish the metal.

Last edited:
You say this is a "log" not intended to be a "how to guide" yet you wrote this last entry as a set of instructions....
All right, it's intended to be a log of what I'm doing; I thought I also made it clear previously that it wasn't a "how to", but wrt this log entry, you probably make a valid point. I'll try to be more discreet with my wording in the future, and I hope that accomodates you guys that aren't getting the full context of the entire thread.

Last edited:
All right, it's intended to be a log of what I'm doing; I thought I also made it clear it wasn't a "how to", but I'll try to be more discreet with my wording in the future, to accomodate you guys that aren't getting it.
Oh I get it.. I just don't think you get it...

Here's a thought, ask those with experience how to do something before just guessing and screwing it up? Don't push back on experience when it's being offered to you. There are builders on here with years of experience you can leverage. They want you to succeed, they want education here. You're the pupil not the teacher. Use Japanese wisdom "Go and see, ask why, show respect".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back