• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only answer I can come up with is that you haven't read the entire thread.
OH THE HUMANITY!:eek:
I AND SEVERAL OTHERS TOLD YOU WHY YOUR STOCK CRACKED. IT'S NOT BECAUSE THE BARREL FIT WAS TOO TIGHT. :doh:
25 pages. Good golly....:rolleyes: And that doesn't include the fix the crack thread.;)

Walnut is a very finicky type of wood to deal with it is not a material to just start hacking into even though it’s hardness rating is something like 1010 on the Janka scale and Maple is like 1450 I think it’s the way the grain fibers run and it takes a certain Skill Level and experience to work with and while Maple is harder it’s somewhat a little more forgiving, Walnut is a cracking sort of wood when handled incorrectly even if you look at it the wrong way that’s why every rifle I personally have ever built was Maple because I know my skill level and what I can do and what I can’t do, If I am interesTed in a certain build and the company offers Walnut I pass right on by because I know my strengths and weaknesses.

I’ve been told that European walnut was much easier. I have limited experience with walnut. The one Lyman kit I did for someone had a piece of walnut that was unsuitable for a landscaping project. It would chip like cedar if you passed the shadow of a chisel over it.

I’ve been told that European walnut was much easier. I have limited experience with walnut. The one Lyman kit I did for someone had a piece of walnut that was unsuitable for a landscaping project. It would chip like cedar if you passed the shadow of a chisel over it.
I hear ya. I don’t think Walnut was the best choice for Wiscoaster…

The only answer I can come up with is that you haven't read the entire thread.
1690901441448.png

Build Log #37

Draw!!

I bought a new file today so I'd be well-prepared to draw file my barrel. It's a file labelled as "single-cut" "medium finish" "metal removal" - aka a "mill file".

There are any number of excellent videos on draw filing. The best Kibler video is NOT in the SMR playlist on YouTube, it's actually in the Colonial rife playlist. That's an excellent video on draw filing.

To help me make sure my flat is actually flat, I mount it with reference to a bubble level:
View attachment 241343

These are some of the mill marks I want to make disappear:
View attachment 241344

Using the techniques outlined in the videos, they do disappear:
View attachment 241345

... leaving these curious metal shavings:
View attachment 241346
... which are proof of material being filed off.

I find it's helpful to put some marks along the flat to be filed:
View attachment 241347
... so I know if I'm filing flat or not.

Oops, not:
View attachment 241348
... so ... adjust hold pressure!!

Actually, this process is pretty easy and simple. Hard for even me to screw up. Nothing any first-timer should be intimidated by. Just have a sharp file and use good techniques as shown in the videos. Five minutes per flat may be a little optimistic, but not by much.

My only problem arose when I tried to bevel the muzzle, as Kibler does in his video, and as I've seen on some completed rifles. I found it was very, very difficult to file eight bevels of equal angle and equal depth, and eventually gave up and sort of rounded it off as best I could:
View attachment 241349

Not very happy with that, so I'd recommend to other first-timers to just leave the muzzle flat. It already looks just fine that way.

Meanwhile, any good ideas on how to remedy that / disguise that / just leave it alone are welcomed. But I just had to leave you guys with at least one little thing to jump on, no?
One more new member of the “Why did I do that Club.”
Snoot over and out

Build Update

OK, I give up. I'm done. The dark forces win this round. I could have dealt with the muzzle. I cannot deal with this:
kibler_244.JPG

... which I discovered this morning while doing some post-filing sanding. It was there when I draw filed. It's not there now. How I have no idea. Where I have no idea. I swept every where and under, and the missing piece that broke off the rear of the tang is not to be found. I cannot fix this. A new barrel is required. And frankly, that means this project is done.

There will be glee and rejoicing in the club house, I'm sure. I won't be there. It's time for me to take a stop-loss and get on with things. Bringing this project to completion from this point would simply not be worth the destruction and loss of my time, mental and physical energy, and psyche.

Build terminated.

Build Update

OK, I give up. I'm done. The dark forces win this round. I could have dealt with the muzzle. I cannot deal with this:
View attachment 241401

... which I discovered this morning while doing some post-filing sanding. It was there when I draw filed. It's not there now. How I have no idea. Where I have no idea. I swept every where and under, and the missing piece that broke off the rear of the tang is not to be found. I cannot fix this. A new barrel is required. And frankly, that means this project is done.

There will be glee and rejoicing in the club house, I'm sure. I won't be there. It's time for me to take a stop-loss and get on with things. Bringing this project to completion from this point would simply not be worth the destruction and loss of my time, mental and physical energy, and psyche.

Build terminated.
Requires a replacement breechplug/tang. Contact @James Kibler. Have them install it. Above your pay grade to DIY.

Or you could take up welding, thought that would be painful.

Last edited:
Cut your losses and pull out. That build didn’t need to go in this direction It’s becoming embarrassing to all that are witnessing this and you don’t want to feel like that right. Please…

Build Log #37

My only problem arose when I tried to bevel the muzzle, as Kibler does in his video, and as I've seen on some completed rifles. I found it was very, very difficult to file eight bevels of equal angle and equal depth, and eventually gave up and sort of rounded it off as best I could:
View attachment 241349

Not very happy with that, so I'd recommend to other first-timers to just leave the muzzle flat. It already looks just fine that way.
Great job on the draw filing.
But…
Oh Jeez! Another new member of the “Why did I do that club”
Over and out,
Snoot

I will make you an offer for the rifle if this is something your interested in.

If Jim helps him at this point, he’s a saint.

Let him frame the thing and put it on his wall as a reminder of his self-stated life philosophy of “learning things the hard way”.

What a joke. No sympathy here…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back