• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Primative / traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone getting keyed up about the PA primative season coming up? I know I am. And even after 6 days of early ML, and regular seasons without even seeing a dear (dead or alive), I am rareing to get out there again. However, I need to find a new spot.

My son and I can't wait. We went during early muzzleloader (ie *nline season :bull: ) and got some strange looks with our flinters. One guy actually asked if they were a muzzleloader! Regular season and all we saw were two does at 250 yards in a 30 mph wind :cursing: ...Late flinter will be nice...no orange and no idiots in the woods!

Our ml season here in WV is after the deer have been chased during every other season. Get real spooky! I am glad to have the season just wish it was early.

I am in the Valley Forge area so that's not too far from Dallas. I had my cap and ball out for early ML and got pretty much the same reaction from other hunters that had in-lines. I spent a lot of time in the Bernville / Heidelberg area so far and, like I said, did not see a single deer. Also - very, very little shouting was heard :confused: .

Do the Deer shout in that area? :wink:
Good luck to all you late flintlock hunters,I'm looking forward to hearing about your hunts!

I look forward to the late flintlock season like a kid waiting for Christmas! :grin:

A hunting club that I joined has a piece of property that deer start to yard up in as soon as the weather turns bad. I was on that property yesterday & the deer are starting to move in already! :applause: It's going to be a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

Valley Forge is about 90 minutes south of me on the PA turnpike northeast extension. I hunt on 2 private areas and have some gamelands and a state park that I can into also. Saw lots of sign in the park, but everytime I went during regular season the weather was crappy and the deer weren't moving unless someone stepped on them. I figure the next 3 weeks should let them calm down and get back into normal routines. My Christmas comes the 26th at dawn!

I agree with Recon. The most exciting part of Christmas is the fact that flintlock season starts the day after.
I have mixed feelings this year though. I was fortunate enough to get a buck in the regular season and can now only take a doe with the flintlock. I just wish I didn't have to feel guilty about shooting one of the few that are left. I guess I'll decide whether to shoot or not when I see one.

Hey Deaconjo,
I too am psyched. Each year for xmass I travel with the wife and kids from Vermont to eastern NY to spend the Holiday so by 4 am the day after xmass I am on the road heading for Eastern Pa. Its about an hour and a half drive from there. I believe I am more excited about 3 days of primitive hunting than my 3 and 5 year olds are about Christmas. Maybe I 'll run into you on the trail?
Mighty Oak

Recon said:
... We went during early muzzleloader (ie *nline season :bull: ) and got some strange looks with our flinters. One guy actually asked if they were a muzzleloader!..

You should have retorted that you were going to ask him the same question about his plastic gun. :)

i had a guy try to tell me that i could not use my flintlock in the early season, that it was inline only. lol. i cannot wait until after christmas, i always take the week after christmas off of work just for that season. i will be taking my 8 year old out with the flintlock for the first time, i will have to post some pictures.

That would be outstanding! I think I am probably going back to the Heidelberg area or maybe out a bit further. I know them deer are there. But next year - I guarantee that I am doing some serious scouting. :hatsoff:

My son was with me and he had his flintlock (ok..it has a composite stock) and he quietly made a comment that at least his didn't have a scope and use shotgun primers. He also is getting very proficient with his flinter. Goin to the range a few more times before the season starts just for some more practice. He wants to get one with his flinter during the late season. He got a nice 8 pojnter during regular season with his .243 Winchester

Deaconjo said:
I am in the Valley Forge area so that's not too far from Dallas. I had my cap and ball out for early ML and got pretty much the same reaction from other hunters that had in-lines. I spent a lot of time in the Bernville / Heidelberg area so far and, like I said, did not see a single deer. Also - very, very little shouting was heard :confused: .
Too bad you can't hunt Valley Forge NP. I was there in October and the deer just walk past you, totally unconcerned. Anyway, I'll be out, and with my new GPS. It's a great time to find new territory.
:thumbsup:

WildatHeart said:
Too bad you can't hunt Valley Forge NP. I was there in October and the deer just walk past you, totally unconcerned. Anyway, I'll be out, and with my new GPS. It's a great time to find new territory.
:thumbsup:

You're not kidding! I work about a mile away from VFNP so I drive through or take a walk around every so often. I've seen deer within 10 FEET of people walking on the paths - they just look up and watch them jog by. Yesterday, I saw about 40-50 deer while driving through at midday. One time, I held a conversation with a bedded doe about 10 yards away from me. I've even stopped in my car to say hello to an 8-point buck just a few feet off the road. It's bizarre. Those deer are so used to cars they literally look both ways before crossing the road!

Hey:
Go to this page of the PA DNR.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/deer/deersurvey.aspx
An aerial survey was done at Ridley Creek St park in 2006. Look at the deer population. I'm not sure how you can get to hunt there but it might not hurt to check it out.
Bill

Back