• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Primative / traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Today was WAY too miserable to go out. It was bitter in the AM and just kept getting worse. Tomorow will be just as bad. 40s this weekend, but I gotta work all morning :cursing:

i have been out a couple of times, the day after Christmas i shot a big doe in the neck at about 50 yards. we saw about 15 deer in total, two of them were buck, one was legal 8 point with about a 16 inch spread which my son (8 year old) missed clean at about 60 yards. he said his knees were shaking. we were out again on New Years day for a couple of hours and we didn't see anything.

You guys have to see Valley Forge park right now. It's almost comical. I drive through every day and there has to be hundreds of deer walking around all over the place. If they let hunters in there it would be WWIII.

I love driving through the park this time of year. It's like you step back in time (if you ignore the modern buildings on the other side of Rt 23 and 422).

A cool pic I found on the google...
hut_snow.jpg

Looks like a comfy camping site. I can imagine lying out in a tent for a few months with little food and no down sleeping bag. You know that little breeze that comes along right about sun-up?
Temps drop about 5 degrees. Man those guys were tough.
Bill

yes they were. I went out yesterday afternoon and all I got was wet from the sleet and rain that started around 330. Didn't see anything except tree rats.

Greetings all in PA:

I'm happy to say I took my first white tail (doe) a couple of days after Xmass in south western PA. I made the shot from a tree stand, about 15 yards or so. Being a Colorado boy, I don't spend much time in a stand while hunting elk or mule deer. I'm lucky to have a brother-in-law out in PA that has permission to hunt on private land.

I took my white tail with my TVM, Late Lancaster, .54 cal. using 80 grains of 3f under a patched round ball (this is also my elk rifle).

Sure do wish more states had a real primitive season.

Rio

Sorry to hear you didn't connect yet Recon. I was out all day Saturday. Morning was too crunchy to walk much but about 11AM it got windy enough to cover my foot steps. Walked all afternoon, must've bumped at least 4 or 5 (some more'n once) but could not get a decent shot. Still had a great time, got to watch the sun come up and hauled that flintlock all over the mountain. Started raining here about 4PM but only lightly so I didn't get wet.
Maybe we'll both tag one next Saturday - last chance.
Finnwolf

My son and I are planning to spend most of Saturday at Ricketts Glenn. We park in the upper lot near the radar station and head in about 1.5 miles past the swamp area. Good luck to you too! If you wan to try someplace different come up to Ricketts and join us.

Scored next to the last day of the Michigan ML season. Heart shot doe at 45yd's with a .62 Jager flintlock rifle. Load was 110gr.2FF behind 328gr.patched round ball.

ML_62_scores.jpg

That's what ya call a left handed smack down.
great shot!!!
God made just a few great muzzleloader hunters, the rest are right handed.
:blah: :grin:

Some of us members of the 24th Conn. Militia Regiment will be having a last chance deer hunt on Saturday. Meeting at the Pilot Diner at the Pittston exit of the NE turnpike at 5:30 for breakfast, and leaving for the woods of SGL 91 around 6:15. We'll sit for about an hour and then do drives til around noon. Welcome to join us.

I go through that part twice a day - Monday through Friday - going to and coming from work. No matter what a crappy day on the job brings, the stillness of the park always gets my mind in the right peaceful frame. Have you noticed that the deer there are somewhat smaller than deer seen in the "wild"? And - they will walk right up to you. Kind of like the family dog. They mowed some of trhe fields there and you can see the deer heard real well now. Its nothing to see gangs of 10 - 14 just munching away on the lawn.

Because of health problems with my mother, My dad and I did not get to hunt together until Thursday of this week. I spent the afternoon dogging for him and he got three chances, but missed. Tried again this morning and he connected on a big doe with a 60 yard shot.

Dad is 73. Can't think of a better way to end the Pa. season

My son and I just wanted to say thanks to WildatHeart at his group from the 24th CMR. Met them this morning and spent the morning in SGL91 with this great group of guys. We didn't see anything, but had a lot of fun anyway.

WildatHeart said:
Some of us members of the 24th Conn. Militia Regiment will be having a last chance deer hunt on Saturday.

(Hi Mike!) Down here in WMU 5C we have until Jan. 26! I haven't been out since rifle season opener (I shot a 9-point 218 lb. buck in the pouring rain with a modern gun. :redface: :surrender: ) I'm still hoping to get a flintlock doe in these next two weeks.

Der Musiker said:
(Hi Mike!) Down here in WMU 5C we have until Jan. 26! I haven't been out since rifle season opener (I shot a 9-point 218 lb. buck in the pouring rain with a modern gun. :redface: :surrender: ) I'm still hoping to get a flintlock doe in these next two weeks.

Hey, don't be embarrassed by using a modern gun. You're not the only one on this board who uses whatever's in season. We just don't talk about it! :haha: Congrats on the buck. I missed a nice one during archery season. You still reenacting?

Recon said:
My son and I just wanted to say thanks to WildatHeart at his group from the 24th CMR. Met them this morning and spent the morning in SGL91 with this great group of guys. We didn't see anything, but had a lot of fun anyway.

Your welcome Bob. I don't know how others did, but this was the worst late season I've ever experienced. I didn't see a tail all season. :(
Yet I found lots of tracks, droppings, and even new rubs.

I agree with you...we didn't see a deer all late season. Again, lots of sign but no deer. In the orchard I mainly hunt they were even out in the middle of the night in a snowstorm, but never during daylight hours.

Back