• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Primative / traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snagg, yeah, they're well fed down there.
If anyone would like to meet on a saturday and do some hunting, it might sway me to buy the NR license. I did alot of solo hunting this year, and am sorta bored with it. I wouldn't mind going out with a few other rocklockers. Anybody let me know if you're interested

Would anybody like to get together on Saturday in NE Pa? There are a few gamelands and state parks we could meet at and have some fun.

Kinda make it a Forum get-together and hunt.

Just a thought?

Yeah...I concur that there is plenty of room in PA in the flintlock season. Every year I scout and I can't get out my buddies who were so eager to tag along in archery and rifle seasons. The voods are empty...plenty of room for our non-resident flintlock brethern in the primitive season in PA :thumbsup:

Yea, I cant wait to just spend some quality time with the smoothbore in the woods without all the goobers.
I find it most relaxing hunting late.

Craig

bob243 said:
Very close.. About 2 miles south of there in Muhlenburg.. Good luck to you as well.
Small world I live in Hunlocks and work in Dallas howdy fellas and Merry Christmas. :v

Thats cool. I'm in Ashley, and belong to the range there in Muhlenberg. I used to work in Dallas, but the telco got rid of my dept when the new company took over. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Sat first thing I have to test fire/sight in the flintlock I just finished. ( I know its a very less than ideal way to do this, but between starting a new job and christmas comming up, I had to get creative just to get the time to even finish this build. Plus it took longer to get a few parts than anticipated)

Glad you found a new job Bob. I work there in the garage for the new company. A lot of good people got axed, hard to figure these people out. I just started my Dickert build. Good luck with the new rifle and the hunt. :thumbsup: Boon

Went out yesterday afternoon for the first time this season. Hunted on some mountain land owned by my uncle. He, his son , and two grandsons hunted there in the morning but not did see a single deer. While climbing to a stand I had hung in archery season, I did not see any tracks in the patches of snow still on the ground, so I wasn't feeling too optomistic. After only 20 minutes in the stand, 7 doe and a large spike buck came by at about 50 yds. I've been looking forward to this season for months, but I only have one tag. I decided I wasn't ready to quit hunting this soon so I passed on shooting.

When the deer were out of sight, I started having second thoughts. Deer can be pretty hard to find in this area during the late season and maybe I should have taken a shot. Before I could ponder this too long, I saw 3 more coming up the same trail as the previous bunch. No more pondering, this time I was shooting if I got the chance. When the largest one came in to an opening I whistled and she stopped broad side at 40 yds. I took a bead on her and squeezed the trigger.......Click......Took me by suprise. Have not had that happen while hunting for several years.

Not the first time, probably won't be the last. It's just part of hunting with a flintlock. Now I can try again tomorrow.

rf50cal said:
Went out yesterday afternoon for the first time this season. Hunted on some mountain land owned by my uncle. He, his son , and two grandsons hunted there in the morning but not did see a single deer. While climbing to a stand I had hung in archery season, I did not see any tracks in the patches of snow still on the ground, so I wasn't feeling too optomistic. After only 20 minutes in the stand, 7 doe and a large spike buck came by at about 50 yds. I've been looking forward to this season for months, but I only have one tag. I decided I wasn't ready to quit hunting this soon so I passed on shooting.

When the deer were out of sight, I started having second thoughts. Deer can be pretty hard to find in this area during the late season and maybe I should have taken a shot. Before I could ponder this too long, I saw 3 more coming up the same trail as the previous bunch. No more pondering, this time I was shooting if I got the chance. When the largest one came in to an opening I whistled and she stopped broad side at 40 yds. I took a bead on her and squeezed the trigger.......Click......Took me by suprise. Have not had that happen while hunting for several years.

Not the first time, probably won't be the last. It's just part of hunting with a flintlock. Now I can try again tomorrow.

Yes had that happen twice on me and this year on the 30-06 second shot I short stroked it on a 10 pointer missed on the 1 st shot. I'll be out and good luck tomorrow.

That exact same thing happened to my son last night on what would have been his first flintlock deer. 25 yards broadside and click...no BANG!

Well..
Took junior out yesterday, I played bird dog and tried to push deer to him. I heard the .54 boom and headed back his way. I saw him looking at the ground with no smile on his face. Seems that the first shot didn't go off, no prime in the pan. The buck waited till he was just about ready for the second shot and troted off. The second shot landed below and behind Mr buck. We went to another patch of thick stuff (1 mile away) where I played bird dog ( I'm still sore from head to toe from fighting head high briars). I seen a fork horn through the briars,no shot available tho. But I pushed out about ten doe,1 spike, and a big deer missing his horns, they all went past my son. I could hear deer, they would run from me and go about 50 yards and stop, circle around a little and lay back down.
Till next time.........
Bill

The good news is the new gun shot fantastic, went off every time.. But in the woods, I didnt get a shot at anything. There was four or five wandering around in the distance, when I was close enough to get a shot I had an obstructed view and they all sortof blended together and could not identify a good target through the opening of brush. I'll make it out new years morning with the fresh snow cover it should be nice.

I been out three times with my two sons and haven't even seen deer. Tomorrow should be good with the fresh skiff of snow we're forecast to get.
Good luck to you all.

Took my son out this morning and all we saw were tree rats (LOTS OF THEM) and an entire flock of turkeys that flew down and landed right next to us. We did see some tracks that proved that they were moving last night in the middle of the snow storm, tracks half full of snow.Where is everyone going tomorrow..maybe we can all meet up and do alittle drive for the younger ones? Game lands 206 (Sweet Valley) near the rifle range?? PM me if your interested.

bob

I went out today, but I got a late start because of the snowstorm last night. I had to clear my 300' driveway of about 10" of snow first. By the time I got done with that, took a shower, got ready & made the 45 minute drive to the place I wanted to hunt there were 3 or 4 sets of fresh tracks right thru the spot where I park.(no snow even in them) I thought that was a promising sign.
WRONG!!!
I didn't see a deer all day. It was still a great day to be in the woods though. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

We went out again yesterday and didn't see any deer. Just downloaded the pics of the area I hunt and of the turkeys that walked under me.

brace123107.jpg

Brace123107-3.jpg

brace123107-2.jpg

Brace%20Turkeys.jpg

It was really nice the other morning. I was going to stop today on my way home from work for the last hour before sunset...BUT...12 degrees and a 20 mph wind in the orchard but a stop to that. I am a die hard hunter but that is too miserable for me. :youcrazy:

My wife thought I was going to go so she was even surprised when I said it was too blustery out!

Back