• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA Primative / traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar story here guys. Out all day Sat and not even a tail. Plenty of sign, droppings all over, fair number of rubs and ground all torn up.

Out 4 days this flintlock season. Can't complain - I saw deer on 2 of the 4 days, even had a nice big doe inside of 35 yards. Just could not get a good shot but I had a heck of a good time!

Finnwolf

Hey you PA guys how does that late season work? Here in WV all our seasons run bow,buck,doe and ml. ML is a week but it is the tail end after the deer are all stirred up. Do you normally have good success in the late season and is there much pressure? I wish we had an early ml season.

Hey WV

Our season, like yours, is at the end of the line when deer are spooked and the population is at the lowest. Starts the day after Christmas and usually runs a little over two weeks. Deer seem to be bunched up here at this time of year. If you're lucky enough see one, you see several.

This is my favorite time to hunt because I seldom see any other hunters. I am lucky enough to have access to private land and have scored often during this late season. Have had better success with a few fellows making small drives than when hunting alone at this time of year.

From the other posts I've read here, fellows hunting on State land have not been as fortunate.

i was out 3 times this year, hunted public land, morning hunts only and saw just under 30 deer could have shot most of them. 2 of them were bucks, one my 8 year old missed he was a nice 8 pointer and the other i just saw horns. we ending up taking one big doe off the property. the other hunt was on private land for a couple hours in the morning and we didn't see a deer. it was a very nice year to be in the woods, wish i could have gotten out more.

Thanks guys. I like to hear about other states seasons and how it goes. It seems we are pretty much the same. I mostly hunt private land but also some on public. Depends on the weather and how many doe permits have been available the week before ml season the number of people you see. Thanks for sharing with me. :)

I hunt in 2-D. Saw 24 deer the last day. 15 in one bunch, and I missed a buck at 80 yards. I saw more deer in flint season than archery and rifle season.

tcsmokepole said:
I hunt in 2-D.

:confused: I couldn't figure out what you meant at first... I mean, I hunt in 3 dimensions!

Then it dawned on me! :redface: WMU - Duh! :haha:

I saw a total of 24 deer (including the one I shot) on opening day of rifle in Bradford County (3A). About 12 of those were in a group together right at the end of shooting hours.

Here in Utah we have a late season hunt for doe, It is in Dec. You can use M/L, bow or shotgun. Got a nice doe and does she taste good.

This was my third flintlock season. I was out all but 3 days. Never went early but always stayed out till dark.
My deer count was 25 seen, 3 less that legal bucks. One was a nice big 5pt within 10 yds. I had my hammer back on 4/5 does but they never stopped quite like I wanted them to. I got a shot a one doe but hit a tree.
I hunted SGL 39, SGL 148, and Moraine SP. Once I got away from the parking lot I saw only one other flint hunter and one grouse hunter.
Many tree rats and grouse. 21 turkeys. For me it was a great season.

Back