• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Bess authenticity?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reduce the wood and get rid of that godawful finish which I assume is still being used.My son has a 2nd model Bess that he's had since 1986. About 7-8 years ago Kit Ravenshear converted it to a 1st model and refinished it.The difference in the finish which I believe is oil is awesome.
Tom Patton

I would agree with both of those. I stripped 3 last year and stained and oil finished them. The varnish they put on is probably 2 pack polyurethane and as hard as hell.

If you had the chance to sit down with the folks at Pedersoli and tell them what to change to make their Bess closer to an original, what would you have them do?

Increase the barrel length to 46" and bore size to .78 caliber, also go to a wooden ramrod...

Decreasing the amount of wood in the stock especially around the lock and breech would help quite a bit. Changing the lock stamp from "GRICE 1762" to "TOWER" would be more accurate, I believe that using the maker and year stamp went out around 1764 and the Short Land came out in 1769. A lot of the carving on the Pedersoli is appropriate to an early Long Land and wasn't found on the later versions of that musket much less a Short Land.

Here is alink with some good pics of a Short Land from between 1769 and 1777

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/slbess.html

:m2c:

If you had the chance to sit down with the folks at Pedersoli and tell them what to change to make their Bess closer to an original, what would you have them do?

Increase the barrel length to 46" and bore size to .78 caliber, also go to a wooden ramrod...

But then it wouldn't be a 2cd model, but a first model cut down a bit. And .78???!!! Never happened.
The finish on Pedersoli has ALWAYS been stain with oil, not Poly-whatever.

The main thing to make the musket more authentic would be to put proper sling hardware.
:m2c:

And .78???!!! Never happened.

There was, according to this...

Scroll down to: LONG LAND PATTERN 1756

http://www.11thpa.org/Bess.html

Further upgrades appeared in this third and last of the official Long Land patterns with their 46" barrels. Conversion of existing muskets from wooden to steep button-headed ramrods began in 1748 and became a standard component of this new issue. Accompanying that change was the substitution of a longer 4" upper pipe having a flared mouth while all rammer pipe diameters were reduced for the thinner metal rod. The curved banana lock, in turn, was now straight and mounted a shorter frizzen spring, which no longer covered the end of the forward lock screw. Its stock and all carving were also thinner, and a new cast brass fore-end cap was finally adopted as standard. This design was the principal arm for most British regiments during the early years of the War for Independence.

Length: 61 7/8"

Barrel: 46", .78 cal.
Lock: 7" x 1 1/4"

Trigger Guard: 11 1/4"
Butt Tang: 5 3/4"

Side Plate: 6 1/8"
Furniture: Brass

Weight: 10.5 lbs

Back