• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am real hesitant to use PRB for hunting although I have heard many success stories on here. Has anyone noticed any benefits from switching from conicals to PRB other than not having to deal with lead fowling and reduced recoil?

Less recoil. Lower lead cost. Proven track record in the field. PRB do not move off your powder like a conical can.

There are plenty of pictures in these hunting threads showing the effectiveness of the PRB as a hunting round.
A week ago I saw first hand the effectiveness of a PRB on a large bambi shot from a .50 in the hands of forum member Matt84.
Place that shot right and and there will not be any worries.

Well, I am probably going to get "well & truly flamed" for this, but except for the cost savings, tradition, plus the other benefits you mentioned, I see no reason to use a PRB on any game animal.
I have found that conicals, due to their shape and weight are simply a better choice for big game hunting.
I have taken deer, elk, moose, bear, boar, speedgoat, and sheep with a muzzleloader. All with conicals. Simply said, if your gun is accurate with them, the heavy for caliber conicals hit harder, penetrate better, and are quicker to re-load if needed.
Now, I'll sit with my fingers in my ears waiting for replies to this heresy on my part.

Yankee Doodle said:
...due to their shape and weight are simply a better choice for big game hunting.
I have taken deer, elk, moose, bear, boar, speedgoat, and sheep with a muzzleloader. All with conicals. Simply said, if your gun is accurate with them, the heavy for caliber conicals hit harder, penetrate better, and are quicker to re-load if needed.
Now, I'll sit with my fingers in my ears waiting for replies to this heresy on my part.

All that, and you've never taken one with a roundball for comparison. How in hades can you say the conicals are better then? :rotf: That's like saying Chevi's are better than Fords because all you've ever driven are Chevi's. I'm embarrassed for you. :redface:

I got started shooting flintlocks in the 70s, with a .45...I made a .54 in the 80s...

I've never used a conical on any game and patched balls kill just fine...

I got into this to learn about the traditional way of hunting with flintlocks, no need to change as flintlocks were used for over 250 years with round balls...

Kinda like using a bow, if you don't have the skills to kill an animal with one then don't use it...

Memphis1211 said:
I am real hesitant to use PRB for hunting although I have heard many success stories on here. Has anyone noticed any benefits from switching from conicals to PRB other than not having to deal with lead fowling and reduced recoil?

In this day and age the biggest factor that can or will change your mind is cost. 20 to 25 conicals are running anywhere from 8 to 12 dollars. While 100 prb will run you 10 to 14 dollars, add patches which is another 3 to 5 dollars and its just easier on the wallet! :hatsoff:

I've taken a lot of deer over the years with both conicals and roundballs. Switched over to flintlocks and roundballs exclusively since 2004 and never looked back. The man/woman behind the gun counts much more than the projectile used. Trying to remember without looking at my records, don't think I've had a roundball shot animal go more than 60 yards after being shot. Most gave up the ghost long before that, so theres no reason not to use roundballs, providing you know what you and your gun is capable of.

Cynthialee summarized the major benefits well.
The PRB's performance on game is well proven over multiple centuries all around the world, long before conicals.

Traditional Muzzleloader hunting is basically like extended range bowhunting...think of putting a PRB in the same place you'd put a broadhead...to kill by hemorrhaging, not shock power.
Speaking only for myself, I always go for the heart...ie: you stop the pump, things shut down quick...and every deer I've taken have been at 70 yards or less...they try to make a mad dash for it...(25-30 yards or less)...and fall in sight of me.

PRBs are extremely accurate, effective, and dependable projectiles...match the caliber (size ball) and powder charge to the game and distance you're hunting, then put the PRB in the right place.

cynthialee said:
Less recoil. Lower lead cost. Proven track record in the field. PRB do not move off your powder like a conical can.

There are plenty of pictures in these hunting threads showing the effectiveness of the PRB as a hunting round.
A week ago I saw first hand the effectiveness of a PRB on a large bambi shot from a .50 in the hands of forum member Matt84.
Place that shot right and and there will not be any worries.
Pretty much says it all.
Keep in mind you will need to re-sight your gun and optimize the powder/patch/lube/ball combination.

Have killed both deer and elk w/ both conicals and PRBs and didn't notice any difference in effectiveness....all traveled less than 50 yds after the shot.

Presently prefer PRBs for 2 reasons....less mid-range height than conicals w/ a 100 yd zero and PRBs don't move off the powder charge w/ a clean bbl.......Fred

since when did i become Matt84? :haha:

as cynthia said, i recently took a large white tail buck with a .490 patched ball. the shot was at around 60-65 yards and the ball hit the deer in the right shoulder. the deer did run about 150 yards after being hit. the long run was largely due to shot placement and not the ball itself. (was my first hunt)

as people have said, we been hunting with patched round balls for hundreds of years with great success. with that in mind how can you doubt the effectiveness of the PRB.

having said all that, the conical IS more effective. there is a reason we no longer use balls as projectiles for our modern guns. the conical will shoot flatter at longer distances and penetrate threw more.

the choice is really up to you. but realize that there is nothing wrong or ineffective about hunting with the round ball. the onley short coming i would see in hunting with a round ball is trying to make shots at 100yrds or greater. the ball will drop rapidly at these long distances.

-Matt

Matt85 said:
having said all that, the conical IS more effective. there is a reason we no longer use balls as projectiles for our modern guns. the conical will shoot flatter at longer distances and penetrate threw more.

Conicals allowed the use of a heavier projectile without increasing bore diameter. An animal hit through the heart/lungs is not going to know if it was hit with a ball or a conical. Both projectiles will usually pass through, spending all that extra energy in a tree or in the ground.

Matt85 said:
the onley short coming i would see in hunting with a round ball is trying to make shots at 100yrds or greater. the ball will drop rapidly at these long distances.

Roundballs are very accurate out of my all my guns with slow twist barrels at distances over 100 yards. The weight of conicals also limits their range due to their rainbow trajectory. I prefer using a prb, but shoot what is accurate in your gun and you have confidence in. No matter what you use, you're hunting, get close. :grin:

Round balls have been used to take even the largest and most dangerous game on the planet. Here's just one example:

Underhammer1.jpg

Great pic! That was an excellent magazine. Can't imagine shooting 420 grains of powder and a 1400 grain ball! OUCH!!! :hatsoff:

I never said that I have not taken big game with a PRB. What I said was that a properly loaded and sighted conical is more effective. Based on my experience over the last 40 or so years, I see no reason to change my opinion.
Just as you are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine.

Yankee Doodle said:
I never said that I have not taken big game with a PRB.
Yankee Doodle said:
I have taken deer, elk, moose, bear, boar, speedgoat, and sheep with a muzzleloader. All with conicals.

I think the above statement in red is what was confusing...

Back