• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the Southpaw Shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How many Southpaws are shooting right hand caplocks? My youngster a Southpaw is got a hankering for smoky shooting and is currently shooting my old CVA 45 cal Caplock pistol with a righthand lock to get used to the cap firing and the bark. But before I have him fire my 50 cal rifle or the 12 bore, I want to know if some you Leftys are shooting rightside locks without any problems. I don't want to spook him from the fun.

Thanks sgtski

I haven't had any problems. But, I do recomend using some type of protective glasses. Have fun!

My Santa Fe Hawken is RH and I shoot LH. My face will be dirty from powder smoke and blow back after a full days rondy shoot. I agree with Skeet, wrap around shooting glasses are a must, because that cap is only six inches in front of your/his face.

I only have one true left handed gun, a M700BDLH that doesnt flash in my face. I grew up with it, dont know any better. Put the kid on it. Just start him out with kid loads!!!

I'll add a second to the use of eye protection!
For the most part shooting a RH lock left handed is not that much of a problem for percussion shooters and I know of many who do. I have also seen some who shoot flinters this way and do quite well. But I would not reccomend it as this presents an added problem of the vent flash and flying flint chips that could get in the eyes.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I shoot a lefthand lock righthanded, just have to patch my strong right and dominant eye, otherwise the whole thing feels funny.

Toomuch_36 said:
But I would not reccomend it as this presents an added problem of the vent flash and flying flint chips that could get in the eyes.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint
My glasses have a little burnt spot on the right lense from my flinter.Shooting right hand rifles left handed has not been a problem for me.Like they said use eye protection.

Just shoot a underhammer and that solves the right left problem for everyone

MRW said:
Just shoot a underhammer and that solves the right left problem for everyone
Nodding.gif

Lefty shooting right handed rifles for years here. I never have had a problem with caplocks. About the only thing I have had happen with them is an occasional piece of hot cap hitting my right arm in the summer when I have short sleaves on.

Now I just started shooting flint rifles and the first couple of times it was hard to get used to. I was way over reacting worrying about the flash, flint and all. I do wear saftey glasses shooting the flintlocks and have started wearing them with other casual shooting I do.

My hunting buddy was shooting an old Carcano he bought at a gun show and it pierced the primer and showered his face with hot gases and powder. He now wears glasses shooting his old military rifles.

I also say wear eye protection. I had changed out my #11 nipple for a musket style nipple. Beware of the top hat type of musket cap by CCI. They like to fly apart and man does it sting.
Explode.gif

It's a bit like shootin' a right handed semi auto, there's somethin' goin' on out thar, but it ain't bothersome. :winking:
If it bothers your son, he ain't concentratin'. :thumbsup:

Have been shooting my right handed Hawken "left handed" since the 1970's. At that time, without spending the money for a custom gun, one could not find very many good left handed, production guns.

Wanting to have a custom left handed gun, I worked and saved and ordered one from an advertiser in Muzzle Blasts or Muzzleloader. Unfortunately, the maker didn't produce and the next thing I know I am getting a letter from a lawyer about a law suit. Didn't get a dime back........ so I still shoot a RH gun as a lefty. Have had a few, annoying cap burns on my forearm but it has not been a problem for my face. Just awkward in trying to use a TDC capper.

TexiKan

I shot a RH percussion gun for a few years, even though I am left handed. I finally bought a semi-custom rifle with a LH percussion actions, and sold my old gun to a lady who liked how it balanced and shot. I liked my LH gun so much, I converted it to Flint. I now shoot a LH Fowler in 20 ga., too. You will do your son a favor by getting him a left handed action for the larger calibers for hunting. Let him pick the gun, and make him pay for part of it, as he is likely going to keep it for many years.

Have gone back to shooting both a rt hand flint and a rt hand perc as a lefty...agree with all said above, but point out that a piece of a cap managed to enter the nose space on my glasses and ding me just below the left eye...no real damage.
I have had some problem with a minor burn on my right wrist when shooting wearing my sleeves turned up...no big deal, but noticable...Hank

I have shot left handed all my life and shot right handed rifles up until about ten years ago when I got my first left handed rifle. I could have kicked myself. Why did I wait so long? I have replaced nearly all my right handed rifles with left siders and don't miss any of them.

How many of us (honestly now) wear safety glasses when hunting? I have felt debris hit my forehead more than once from flint and percussion right handed rifles on the bench wearing glasses. Thats not to say that you can shoot a left handed rifle left handed and not wear glasses. But, when we are in the field, and the safety glasses are back at home in the range box, having the lock on the opposite side from the shooters eyes is safer. IMHO. Mart

Oh I don't know if you need actual safety glasses per se but at least sunglasses. In rainy weather before I had prescriptions, I wore amber glasses. Once you lose your eyesight it's too late for the most part. Not worth it IMHO. :hatsoff:

Being a lefty and starting out with a right handed cap lock it had become so second nature that when I bought a New Englander in left it felt un-natural to shoot. I sold it after a few year as I didn't use it much. I had bought a Hawken right hand flinter but sold it too after a short time because I could never get used to the flash under my nose. No mater how hard I tried I would always flinch....Jim

Latest posts

Back