• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED RamRod Puller

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These work well, they are not period correct for a muzzleloader but it is 2024. Any local archery shop will have a variety

Thanks,
O.R.

Attachments

• ARROW PULLER.jpg
    ARROW PULLER.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
As a suggestion, I've used a couple of sections of old bicycle inner tube to pull apart recalcitrant fly rod sections. A ramrod might be tougher, as you need to get a better grip around an exposed section, but perhaps worth a try.

I have had zero luck finding one. Hoping someone might have one they are willing to part with....

Thx
I made one for my Colonial. And am likely to modify some existing ones to work the same way.
The rid came with a tapered steel end. I put a brass one with the same thread pitch on the end under the muzzle. I can put a cleaning jag / ball puller etc on either end.
Them I drilled a dowel, drilled a piece of antler epoxied them into the antler and cross pinned it. It has enough exposed thread to seat fully. It’s “T” shaped and has plenty grip.

While I was digging this out, I remembered I used a screw and counter sinks the head then plugged it with a piece of dowel.

Attachments

• IMG_6007.jpeg
    IMG_6007.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You can buy the hemp cord for crafts at Walmart
Cut off a couple of feet
Starting at the middle throw three or four half hitches around rod
Then three or four in the opposite side with the other half
Wrap ends around short stick, or metal rod or hurst around your hand and give a tug

Got to ask, how often do you actually need a ramrod puller? In 50 plus years being around muzzle loaders have only seen a couple ‘stuck’ ramrods, and the situation was rectified with piece cord, a few half hitches, a heavy or immovable object to tie the cord to followed with good tug.

Edit: I was typing when @tenngun posted.

Got to ask, how often do you actually need a ramrod puller? In 50 plus years being around muzzle loaders have only seen a couple ‘stuck’ ramrods, and the situation was rectified with piece cord, a few half hitches, a heavy or immovable object to tie the cord to followed with good tug.

Edit: I was typing when @tenngun posted.
And if all those methods fail, a little water down the bore will speed things greatly.

While I was digging this out, I remembered I used a screw and counter sinks the head then plugged it with a piece of dowel.
It seems like you could just make this with a longer piece of metal rod or bar with the screw portion attaching to the longer rod on the center at a right angle, so you could just stand on the bar street screwing it into the tip of the ram rod and just pull up on the gun.

Latest posts

Back