• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw wool instead of flax tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you think that? Three different fibers with different characteristics.
That would be a neat thing to investigate, could Cotten stripped like hemp both loaded as wad, I wonder if it would act different
I shot tow as a wad and dog hair, I had a yourkee that I could brush enough hair from to make good wads, I mixed them with lard and ran a ball down the bore.
I couldn’t tell it in shooting from tow, but it stank, gag a maggot type stank.
Now my go to in .62 is folded paper, and it easier then any other I’ve tried, but I can’t find it shoots ant differnce

They used what they had available that worked good enough what was commonly used was a green grass 0r straw rolled into a ball and rammed it down the barrel on top of charge in the 1600s tried it works well keep fouling down a bit musket liked it .I removed a charge from a customer s 1816 Springfield that wads made of card and wood it was a challenge to remove others I have found straw leather wool rags you name it .These loads hand been in them for very long time.Several old farmers double barrel percussion shot guns loaded with card wads the older they are before 1870 it is very unusual to find modern made wads in every day use in wide spread use before 1840 .they were not commonly available in the nether regions and farmers on the frontier 16 and 1700s.Today we circle fly wads that can be had cheaply in many bore sizes to fit most muzzle loading smooth bore guns and musket that work very well indeed.

Back