• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing Dry Ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I rammed a patched ball down the uncharged barrel of my cap lock 54 TC Hawkins. For the life of me it will not pull out. All help greatly appreciated. :surrender:

LilGuy said:
I rammed a patched ball down the uncharged barrel of my cap lock 54 TC Hawkins. For the life of me it will not pull out. All help greatly appreciated. :surrender:

Put 10 grains of powder under the nipple and shoot it out.

Dan

Take out the nipple. Dribble powder into the chamber, a few grains at a time untill you have a fair amount in there. put nipple back on, then seat the ball all the way down, Cap and fire, it will remove the ball, I've had to do it a few times, works well.

Take the nipple out and pour some powder in behind the ball put nipple back in cap it try to shoot it out or get a co2 SAF-T-UNLOADER I got mine from dixie gunworks but i think wally world may have them

Dan Phariss said:
LilGuy said:

Put 10 grains of powder under the nipple and shoot it out.

Dan

Yep

Here in Wasilla, Alaska Walmart has 0 Black powder supplies,nothing,zero.

The CO2 unloader is a great tool since you can use it in the front yard without disturbing the neighbors.

A note of caution: I just replaced my unloader with a new one from Cabelas. The new one uses 16 gram CO2 bottles and I had a lot of the old ones which were 12 grams. The 12 gm are too short to work properly. I found the 16 gm on Amazon but I wish I would have noticed the difference when I bought it. Keep this in mind so you don't buy the wrong bottles.

How hard do the balls come out with one of those co2 unloaders? Is a whole cylinder of co2 used up for one ball?

They come out like a 10 grain charge of 4F.

In my experience, the CO2 is used so seldom, they are in effect a one shot deal. If at a weekend long shoot with plenty of participants, may get 3-4 out of a cartridge.

Found home depot carries a plumbing obstruction devise that uses CO2. They fit my real old discharger.
TC

I'm REAL lucky if I get 2 discharges out of mine but I still prefer the discharger over other methods, when push comes to shove...........whatever works, works.

Probably will get 2-3 grains at a time to move thru the flash channel. Point the barel down and get some powder in the nipple hole, bump the side of the rifle near the lock a few times with the heel of your hand and repeat. Clear the threads before installing the nipple. Be sure to point the rifle at something safe where you can be sure the ball exit tho there will be a sharp clap, good to be sure.

If first try doesn't dislodge the ball, repeat and then BE SURE to reseat the ball on the existing charge. Don't leave the ball 1/2 way down the barrel and fire even a small charge.

I recommend everyone carry a small amount of 4F. It is a lot easier to trickle under a nipple or thru a touch hole.

TC

First off let me say that this has NEVER happened to me in my more than 40 years of shooting a muzzleloader. :shake: But they tell me that if you remove the nipple and dribble a few grains of powder into the chamber, replace the nipple, seat the ball firmly on the charge, cap the nipple you can fire the ball out. Let me reinterate that this has never....uh, well okay.....maybe only once. Uh.......well maybe a couple of times it actually kind of happened to me. Oh, all right, dang it, I've done it a bunch of times. :rotf: Kinda makes you feel like a dunce at the time, doesn't it. :redface: Now, wait 'til you do it to a flintlock. :cursing: You can use the same method but since you have no nipple to remove to give you acess to the chamber, you have a lot of fiddling to do to get enough ffffG through the flash hole to shoot the ball out but it can be done......don't ask me how I know. :hmm: :thumbsup:

I had a ball a few weeks ago get stuck in deer season and we tryed pulling it out but we eventually just mutilated the ball. We maybe even drilled a hole in it. Then we tried shooting it out. It didn't go yet so it's at the gunsmith. It's on a traditions kentucky and the barrel I don't think comes apart.

Bill: Lets all be gracious and welcome yet another new member of the HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRYBALLERS. :thumbsup: Many of us proclaim, with great honor, our repeated visits to the front door to the society, and welcome the cheers( or was that jeers I heard???) of other members of this Honorable Brotherhood of shooters. It is what assures us all that we are human, and lets us recall what The Bard said about humans( "To Err is human; to forgive, Divine!")

There is No shame in joining the Society at any time in one's shooting career. Repeated visits are always treated warmly, with about the harshest criticism being, " Well, its about time we see you again!" :blah: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Nice to see you back again, Bill. :grin:

hard enough to penetrate a soft brief case and ruin a walkie talkie..don't ask how I know. Sometimes my CO2 expeller will hold enough charge to do a second ball for about 2-3 days...Hank

Yep, Paul, I've been through the doors and into the hallowed halls of THE HONORABLE SOCIETY OF DRY BALLERS on many an occasion. My face is not unknown there......red, :redface: though, it may be.

Latest posts

Back