• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

roundball - Any one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbles

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Mornin roundball, I have a chance to pick me up a 54 cal. T/C cap for $250. I Have a new (re built, new barrel 1x66) 50 cal T/C and like it, Is there some thing better bout a 54?? I have dropped everything I have shot at with the 50, Would the 54 be a better shooter? If I get it, I KNOW I will pick the one I like the best then never shoot the other again, I can get 490 balls every where, I don't know bout the 54, I am fightin my self with this,, My Lady said to get it, she will pay half, She said I need it,, it's a man thing,, I believe you shoot a 54?? What do you think bout the 54 compared to the 50 ??? I like my 50,,, I never shot a 54,,, I havent seen it yet but hear it's in real good shape, But that part don't really matter,, It's a T/C,,

Whenever my wife says, "Buy it", I wholeheartedly agree...and get it as soon as possible before she comes to her senses.

She wants to pay half? :shocked2: WHAT A WOMAN!

Mornin Little Moe
Have you ever shot a 50 and a 54 ? What's your opinion on the difference ??

That's a good price if it's really clean...I alternate back and forth using both a .50 and a .54...the larger 230 ball carries more energy further than a smaller caliber of course, but if all your shots are 40-50yds, it wouldn't matter...if you tend to have more 75-100yd shots, the .54 would tilt things a little more in your favor.

The good news about you getting a second caliber is that it's fun to try different calibers...AND...you can start thinking about converting one of them to a Flintlock next year
:grin:

(Better keep lovin' on that woman you got too...sounds like a keeper!)

roundball
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I think I remember you were sayin you had some barrels for sale, Do you have a 1x66 54?? (CAP)

In fact I do...I have .45/.50/.54cal TC Hawken caplocks left that just lay oiled in their cases...all with TC 1:66" RB barrels...the .54cal is like new, barely used it at all...PM me if interested, I'll take some pics, etc...Bill

I've only shot 50's, but my next one may be a 54. Been thinking of a 54 smoothbore so I can use it as a shotgun, too.

Although I prefer the 50 for Whitetailed deer, I do have a really nice 54 also. For most any hunting in the northeast the 50 with proper shot placementwill prove to be plenty enough. However, if I were to go to Maine or Canada to hunt Moose or Bear, I'd opt for my 54.

flyboy said:
Although I prefer the 50 for Whitetailed deer, I do have a really nice 54 also. For most any hunting in the northeast the 50 with proper shot placementwill prove to be plenty enough. However, if I were to go to Maine or Canada to hunt Moose or Bear, I'd opt for my 54.

Afternoon flyboy
Thanks for the advice, All we got down here is deer and yotes, When my Lady and I got here to Kentucky we had a habitat to build and things to get done, We got my 50 to help out with the food part, It got us thu some rough spots, And with a lot of advice from here I got it to shoot nice, I LIKE my 50, I really don't need a 54, My Lady told me I have put all my money and time buildin this place, She thinks it's time I went and played a lil with a new toy,

What Roundball said! I have a .54 Renegade and for other than the extra oomph!! at longer range,the .50 is plenty of gun for out to 70 yatds or so.(with PRB)You can get extra punch from the .50 with a conical.I think The extra barrel would be the way to go. :thumbsup:

Thanks gordy
That's a thought too,, But I have a 50 cal 15/16 barrel, So the 1" won't fit,, Hmmmmm.

hobbles said:
Thanks gordy
That's a thought too,, But I have a 50 cal 15/16 barrel, So the 1" won't fit,, Hmmmmm.

Good Hmmmmmmm. But what would happen if you had a 54 inlet and a 50 for the 'spare' barrel? Anybody know if that'd be a deal?

hoppe said:
hobbles said:
Thanks gordy

Good Hmmmmmmm. But what would happen if you had a 54 inlet and a 50 for the 'spare' barrel? Anybody know if that'd be a deal?

Two different size barrels won't fit properly in the same size barrel bed...and the tangs are different sizes to match the different size barrel breechplugs...and the tang inletting is different sizes for the different size tangs & breechplugs...and the stocks are different sizes to handle the larger inletting operations for the larger tangs and breechplugs...and the hammer alignment is different for a 15/16" barrel vs. a 1" barrel...and on and on, etc

Hobbles, I admire you. You've made what you've got work and you are content with it. That's uncommon these days.

With most (myself included), there's always one more toy that we gotta have, no matter how many we already have. I, for one, wish I could break myself from that cycle. So I'm not going to encourage you to buy the 54. The world would be a better place if there were more with your outlook.

I will mention in passing that you can buy a Green Mountain 15/16" .54 caliber slow-twist roundball barrel from Track of the Wolf that'll drop right into your .50 Hawken stock. I got one for my .50 Hawken and love it. They run about $180. That long slender barrel gives the gun more character as well as more caliber :winking: .
Bob

Roundball
Was afraid that it would get complicated. Thx for straightening me out.

OR, you could just buy the. :grin: 54 rifle and then buy a .62cal/.20ga smoothbore barrel to go on the stock. Rifle and smoothbore in one gun.

hoppe said:
Roundball
Was afraid that it would get complicated. Thx for straightening me out.

If we were talking about a Renegade, it would be a different story as all barrels are 1" in .50/.54/.56/.58cals...

short_start said:
Hobbles, I admire you. You've made what you've got work and you are content with it. That's uncommon these days.

With most (myself included), there's always one more toy that we gotta have, no matter how many we already have. I, for one, wish I could break myself from that cycle. So I'm not going to encourage you to buy the 54. The world would be a better place if there were more with your outlook.

I will mention in passing that you can buy a Green Mountain 15/16" .54 caliber slow-twist roundball barrel from Track of the Wolf that'll drop right into your .50 Hawken stock. I got one for my .50 Hawken and love it. They run about $180. That long slender barrel gives the gun more character as well as more caliber :winking: .
Bob

Yes, a good alternative...particularly if part of the planning is not to have a second complete muzzleloader.

In fact, a slight take off on the GM .54cal x 15/16" barrel suggestion would be to make it a .54cal x 15/16" SMOOTHBORE barrel...I have a GM .54cal x 15/16" Flint Smoothbore barrel and love it.

Now the smoothbore barrel would probably not give the 100yard accuracy that a rifled one would, but again, only you know the ranges you might encounter.

My .54cal x 15/16" GM smoothbore barrel is surprisingly very accurate at the 50yds I zeroed it...took a couple of fine bucks with it this fall.

It also shoots a perfect, even pattern of #6's at the 25yds I tested it, if small game shot loads are of interest.

roundball said:
In fact I do...I have .45/.50/.54cal TC Hawken caplocks left that just lay oiled in their cases...all with TC 1:66" RB barrels...the .54cal is like new, barely used it at all...PM me if interested, I'll take some pics, etc...Bill

Well, I pulled that .54cal TC Hawken out of it's case last night and was reminded just how new and and pretty it was...and handling it again after 4 years makes me want to take it to the range and shoot it again this weekend :grin: so I guess I have to say I'm not ready to sell it yet after all... :redface:

Latest posts

Back