• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shredded Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this thread had been long forgotten. With the help of numerous members of this forum and much trial and error, I think I have found what makes my rifle happy. Things I changed included:

1. Polishing the barrel (a couple of times until I got it right :redface: ),

2. Switching to a better patch (Bridger's Best 0.015 unlubed) and Hoppes BP Solvent and Lube, and

3. Finding real BP instead of the subs.

I am now shooting 75 grains of Swiss FFg with a Hornady .490 ball and the Bridger's Best .015 patch with excellent results. I'm finding 90% of my patches, and they all look like they're supposed to other than some fraying around the edges.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me get to this point. :hatsoff:

Are you getting better groups? Or does your shooting need to improve to match the better performance of your rifle? YOu can tell this difference by shooting the gun first off a bench rest, and then shoot it standing off-hand, with or without some kind of rest.

You will find that all lubes work " better " if after seating the ball on the powder, you then run a lubed cleaning patch down the barrel to lube the barrel in front of the ball. That allows the lube in your patch to keep the patch from burning, and help to seal the bore by thickening the patch material where it is jammed into the rifling on firing. It no longer has to perform a THIRD function, and that is lubing the bore to keep all the debris behind the PRB soft in the rest of the barrel. You also will get a little more velocity doing this, but the Standard Deviation of Velocity between shots will go down.

Yes, its an extra step in loading, but the benefits are well worth the little extra time this step takes. In the field, you will also be protecting the rest of the barrel from rusting if you are carrying the gun all day in rain, or humid conditions.

Continued success is my best wish for you.

I have to admit that I have never heard or even read of anybody lubing the barrel after seating load.

But I guarantee that I'm going to try it next time on the range. Even though I have never had problems with torn, or ruptured patches.

It has nothing to do with damaged patches. It has everything to do with making consistent movement of the PRB down the barrel, lowering the SDV.

Hi Paul,

As I like to mention to folks I teach to shoot, in all of the different disciplines, once you find something that "clicks" for you, DO EVERYTHING THE SAME! Not being consistent is our worst enemy...the variables are sure to bite you in the A**!

All the best Professor,

Dave

paulvallandigham said:
Are you getting better groups? Or does your shooting need to improve to match the better performance of your rifle? YOu can tell this difference by shooting the gun first off a bench rest, and then shoot it standing off-hand, with or without some kind of rest.

My groups are slowly getting better. I am consistently shooting a 4" group at 100 yards from the bench and the same group at 50 yards offhand. Looking at the shooting of some of the forum members, I have a ways to go but am working on it.

Getting my gun dialed in helped, but I honestly think posts made by you and others on proper shooting technique have had a greater impact on my accuracy, particularly the little hint of arm mounting my Hawkens style rifle.

smokin .50 said:
As I like to mention to folks I teach to shoot, in all of the different disciplines, once you find something that "clicks" for you, DO EVERYTHING THE SAME! Not being consistent is our worst enemy...the variables are sure to bite you in the A**!

Consistency has been my number one goal at range sessions.

Back