• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

source of felt for making wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I ran across this web site Duro-Felt products that sells felt. they carry the very dense 100% wool felt for making wads with. the part number is #FM18H- the density is F-1. it comes in 1/8" thickness in differant size rolls. they also offer free shipping to the U.S.
here is the link http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Its also available at retail from most home repair stores. ( Lowes, Home depot, Menards, etc.) Shop the discount centers, too, for the lowest prices. Felt weatherstripping generally goes on sale in the Spring time, after the heating season, as stores don't want to have to warehouse the stuff over the summer. ( It costs to maintain a warehouse)

You also can shop the thrift stores, and Good Will, or Salvation Army stores to find cheap old men's felt hats. You might have to put a few layers together to get the same thickness, but you can get a lot of felt wads for next to nothing from these sources.

Duro-felt is good stuff, I got the 1/16" 'odds and ends' to make soaked with lube 'pills' for my revolvers and the stiff 1/8" for my .50's.

From a previous topic on wads- I tried what someone else suggested. I cut up my old felt civil war slouch hat. I used a set of punches for both .36, and .44 for my pistols then tossed em all in plastic bag with my "grease" of choice, and let em soak. Now I have 500 of each size. I have been on the lookout now for old felt hats at the salvation army, and goodwill. You can usually buy them for about 2-5 bucks each.
(If you don't mind some startling colors sometimes)

I bought some of there 1/8 inch hard felt. It's good Quality felt. I am having problems with the lube i used Crisco and the 1/8 inch felt holds to much grease and it's contaminating my powder. My revolvers still go bang but they feel like reduced loads. I am going to mixing some bee's wax with the Crisco next time and see if that helps.

Blizzard, didn't you used to put some hand cleaner on top of your dry felt wads. How did that work?

Mike

here is a recipe from an old 1943 American Rifleman magazine. The article listed 10 pounds tallow, 10 pounds paraffin and 5 pounds beeswax as the factory recipe for outside-lubricated bullets.
With these specific ingredients, you'll make a black powder lubricant with a variety of uses: felt wads, patches, lead bullets in muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge guns, etc.
Of course, you don't need 25 pounds of lubricants.
MAKING THE BEST LUBRICANT

Measure out:
Mutton tallow @ 200 grams
Canning paraffin @ 200 grams
Beeswax @ 100 grams

Place this amount in a wide mouth, one quart Mason jar. Place the jar into a pot containing four or five inches of boiling water for a double-boiler effect. This is the safest way to melt waxes and greases. Just in case of a fire, keep a box of Baking Powder handy --- but away from any flame area so you can get to it.

When the ingredients are thoroughly melted, stir well with a clean stick or disposable chopstick.
Remove from heat. Allow the lubricant to cool at room temperature. Hastening cooling by placing in the refrigerator may cause the ingredients to separate. When cool and hardened, screw the cap down tight on the jar and store in a cool, dry place.

then for lubricating wads use about 2 tablespoons per 100 wads place in a container and add wads melt the indigents the same as above. when melted stir contents so as the wads will absorb the lube sit aside to cool and dry.

Duro Felt is well known by a lot of our members. I purchase all of my felt from them. They have great prices and fast shipping.

:hatsoff:

HD

I will give that a try. What think about using Crisco instead of tallow?

Mike

Mix them 50/50? Use two table spoons for a hundred wads is that about right?

Mike

Mike 56 said:
Mix them 50/50? Use two table spoons for a hundred wads is that about right?

Mike

I mix mine about 60:40 oil to wax. I melt about 1/4 cup to saturate 100-150 wads. I just dump the wads into the melted lube, let them soak it up, and then dump them out onto paper towels to cool. I don't press out excess lube. I roll them around a bit to remove any excess on the surface while they're warm.
HD

Back