• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a Whitneyville dragoon. Two of the nipples are stuck fast. Had them basting in hoppes oil for two days and they're still stuck. Ruined two nipple wrenches trying to get them out. Any tips?
ty
lp

Do you have access to heat? I didn't either so I went the opposite direction. I put the cylinder with the stuck nipple (I only had 1) in a zip lock bag . I then put the bag in the freezer for a couple of days. Something contracted and the nipple came out. Maybe it was the oil, maybe it was the cold. I really can't say but the nipple did come out. Oh, the zip lock bag is so not to get the inside of your freezer oily. For some reason wives tend to frown on that.

Once you have let everything soak, inside and out, with your preferred ‘penetrating oil’ (Kroil or acetone ATF 50/50 mix are popular effective options) for a week or so, and you have located a proper fitting wrench/socket that can be held by a drill chuck, a ‘cordless drill driver’ (I use a DeWalt) can be your friend.

The adjustable torque setting on most will work like a poor man’s impact wrench for smaller fasteners. Put the drill on lowest torque setting, and let it hammer away for a bit as the drill’s clutch repeatedly catches and releases. Then increase to the next higher torque setting and repeat. Keep increasing the torque setting until the fastener’s threads release. At least this method has worked for me.

Hot torch or lighter. Lubes, and cold...

Over time and tinker it will come out. Keep playing and testing it.

Same thing happened to me when I bought a new 2nd Model Dragoon. Two nipples would not turn at all.
I read somewhere to use a deep 5mm socket (Craftsman at Lowe’s $4) and a Dremel to cut and modify the socket mouth.
I used two pieces of dowels clamped on my heavy vise and inserted the cylinder using the two dowels to keep the cylinder from turning. Now I had both hands free to clamp down and slowly used my socket and wrench to loosen the stubborn nipples. This is the last nipple wrench you will need. 👌
IMG_9404.jpeg
IMG_9403.jpeg

I had to help a friend with that once.

Use a pin punch and with the cylinder clamped in a lead jaw vice.

Smack the wrench flat low and perpendicular to the threads.

But this is a last ditch effort after the nipple is all buggered up.

when you get it out and put a new one on use high heat nickel anti seize on the threads (can be found at any auto parts store, for spark plugs) also good on breach plugs

I’ve done similar to ernbar described in his post with a minor difference. I made a Dremeled nipple wrench size notch in a 1/4” drive socket. I put two chamber size dowels in the drill vice on my drill press I put the cylinder on the dowels and mounted homemade socket on a 1/4” drive in the chuck. I held down the socket on the nipple with press lever and turned the chuck by hand. Two extremely stuck nipple came out on a rusted second hand repro 1851. I too had ruin a couple of nipple wrenches before trying this. I think part of the trick is the heavy pressure applied while turning the chuck prevents slip and all the torque goes to the recalcitrant nipple. Do not try this using the motor. Just turn the chuck by hand. I made sure my press was unplugged.

Back