• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C fans.. Rengade, Hawken, New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebiggs said:
My favorite TCs are not solely TC.
My idea of what makes one better is below.

IMG_4795-1.jpg

I use a GM 32”, RB barrel on each and a Davis trigger although the photo was taken before I installed it on the cap gun. Both are 50 cal. And both have buck horn sights installed. Also I added toe plates to each. I alter the stocks slightly to fit my desires and put on a nice finish.
Are they still classified as TCs? I don't know!

BTW, neither has it's lock replaced!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked2:
Thanks for sharing them. Them are some fine looking rifle. :thumbsup:

I've kinda run through the spectrum with them. Seneca and Cherokee aside, I'm partial to the "Renegade" cuzz it doesn't seem to whap the snot out of my cheekbone like the Hawken. NE is a close second. I said "Renegade" in parentheses because what I'm referring to is the Big Boar, essentially a Renegade in 58 caliber. It's a pussy cat with heavy loads, while the same loads in a Hawken with a 58 cal drop-in barrel feels like it's trying to peel off the side of my face.

Some flint, some percussion. Some reworked bores. Some GM's. Some replacement sights. Some tang peeps.
.46, .50, .54, .56, .58, .62.
Love 'em all and sorry to see TC headed south.

GoodCheer said:
Some flint, some percussion. Some reworked bores. Some GM's. Some replacement sights. Some tang peeps.
.46, .50, .54, .56, .58, .62.
Love 'em all and sorry to see TC headed south.

T/C did not head south, the American public and the internet is what killed T/C.

The standard answer here is buy a used T/C, why pay union wages for new? Buy a TVM, get a gun you need to return when custom ordered and does not arrive as ordered?

Makes sense to me.

Had a Renegade years ago and sold it, got plumb out muzzleloading, what a mistake :doh: Now I have a Hawken and a New Englander. Love the New Englander, my go to muzzleloader shot greats, handle good, love it. :thumbsup:

I agree, Richard, but there's more to it.

Bought a new TC "Classic" .22RF Semi-auto about 6 years ago. Wonderfully accurate, but before it went 200 rounds there was an apparent out-of-battery that split the stock. Sent it back. TC said they were taking them out of circulation and offered me a new Encore in exchange. Nice of them...I thought.

Now the Encore has problems.

I'd rather TC than TVM. I'd rather old TC (when Warren Center and Tim Panchurak were around) than new TC. I think they were built better then...and there was a decent variety of sidelocks.

No argument from me.

Given a choice between T/C with a G/M barrel and a TVM, it's not going to not to be TVM, way to many negative reports.

I am a line shooter and have yet to see TVM on the winners wall.

Pistols, the Patriot shows up with Temporary
Masters in their first shoot and Marksman, after that level, they are not used. They were not designed to be serious line pisols.

The New Englander holds it's own on the trap range.

I've had a Renegade since 1978 but I get a LOT more use out of my 1988 New Englander (I believe that was the first year the kit was offerred . . . might have been 1987). Added a .50 barrel the next year. Very versitile muzzleloader.

Special Gander Mountain Blackpowder Express .50, semi-pistol grip stock (a bit like an English sporter), single trigger, 1:38 twist and double leaf flip up rear sight. (Why that sight on a single shot I have no idea.). Hawken .50 percussion kit gun but well finished (had been a wall hanger only), .54 Hawken percussion, .52(?) Hawken smoothbore, spade symbol on bottom of barrel.

On those T/C Classics and R55's that replaced them, seems one of the extractors would chip that side of the chamber causing part of the case to be unsupported and blow out. There's a modification to prevent it but no fix if the chamber is chipped. (Pointed this out only because it was mentioned and some may want to add one being a T/C product.)

Agree that the TC Patriots were designed and marketed as production-level pistols, albeit of nice quality and reasonable price. Just curious what pistols you have seen as a serious line competitor that you could recommend with the ability to put a newcomer on a somewhat even footing? Also, having considered a TVM, could you elaborate a little about some of the complaints you have heard? I alsways thought their products were considered to be pretty good for the price, but don't have any first hand experience.

Leaving the WNS in the morning from Phoenix, will respond when I get home and tend to critters.

Shoot well, as they say

r

I have a TC 50 cal White MT Carbine.Its light short and easy to carry and maneuver. I'm gaining confidence on every new hunt.

I also own a 54 Renegade. I enjoy shooting it also.

Wink

I own a number of TC's, but it something terrible happened and I had to sell all but one I would keep my .54 New Englander. It fits me well and I have killed a lot of deer with it, the New Englander shoots PRB fine but I hunt with Horandy's GP bullet. If I could only keep two I would also hold onto the .45 Hawken, as the .45 is very accurate with PRB and does not use up a lot of powder and lead.

Black Jack said:
Agree that the TC Patriots were designed and marketed as production-level pistols, albeit of nice quality and reasonable price. Just curious what pistols you have seen as a serious line competitor that you could recommend with the ability to put a newcomer on a somewhat even footing? Also, having considered a TVM, could you elaborate a little about some of the complaints you have heard? I alsways thought their products were considered to be pretty good for the price, but don't have any first hand experience.

Revolver, As Issue--Uberti Remington 1858 or
Pietta Remington 1858 with "Gain Twist Rifling", these are the 2 main pistols, Remington's are dominate on the line, Colts are not preferred.

Revolver, Ruger Old Army, with trigger job or converted to 36 cal., about $500 or so for the conversion to your pistol. Most on the line shoot Rugers, it dominates.

Unlimited (flint/percussion), Yazel, 10 Ring, etc. bring what you can afford.

Unlimited, Pedersoli has a following in the percussion and flintlock area. Shooting a Pedersoli Charles Moore (flint and percussion) will let you shoot flint and percussion and the traditional aggs by including a Remington 1858.

I did see 4 Patriots on the line at WNS this year, I did not see the shooters at the awards today.

I do have a Patriot, but I do not shoot it anymore.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to offer some insight. I guess I will have to do a little more research with TVM owners before taking the plunge.

Each manufacturer of a pistols brings something different to the table and each pistol is different that they bring.

I shot a 62 cal. smooth bore in the Pedersoli match at WNS. The owner built it let and let me shoot it to complete the Agg. since I did not have a smooth bore.

Shooting a 62 smooth bore with a 600 grain ball is an enlightening experience, calling it a hand cannon is polite.

I did shoot a respective 72 which was second out of all the smooth bore pistols shooters for my first time.

Line shooting is 20% in your equipment and 80% mental.

Don't know the weight, just stated what the owner stated when we were talking.

I do not argue or challenge folks with what they say. I always thought folks were honest in what they say or type.

Being trusting does have it's down fall, does it not?

T/C Hawkens in .45 cal. for me. My wife both me the kit 35 yrs. ago. I browned the barrel, and fitted the stock and have been enjoying it for a long time. I liked it enough that I bought a maple blank and crafted it for my Hawkens to make it a bit more custom for me. It's still a very accurate shooter and easy on the old pocket book. I'd post a photo if I could figure out how to. I don't see an attachment link? DG

I will not admit to how many T/Cs I own but will admit to:

1. 45 Cherokee
2. 45 Hawken, multiple
3. Renegade 50 and 54, multiple
4. Cleland 40
5. New Englander 12 gauge
6. Patriot 45

The weak link is the Patriot, nice pistol, just not a serious line pistol.

Some of the above rifles have had the barrels replaced with T/C round ball and GM round ball barrels with Contender rear sights and Lyman globe sights. Couple had Davis triggers installed, I could not make to T/C triggers do what I wanted.

The Cleland and Cherokee are NIB.

For the money and workmanship, T/C is the best buy for the working man and the working man's line shooter, quality at a fair price.

To use one of Zonie's phrases, T/Cs require less "frinkling with" to make them shoot and shoot well.

Latest posts

Back