• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C fans.. Rengade, Hawken, New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience is limited to the Hawken and Renegade, actually a .56 smoothbore version that I had temporarily, and the Hawken fits me much better, so I will vote that way, but my experience is very limited. Between those two, it seems that the Renegade has a shorter stock, and I like mine a bit longish so that was probably the main reason the Hawken fits me better.

I have 2 flintlock renegades (58 and 62). Two New Englanders (one NIB in .50 and one used in .54). I also have 2 caplock 50 caliber Hawkens and one .54 flintlock Hawken. They are all very nice rifles and all 3 styles work for me as far as fit. However they are beginning to get dusty as my new favorites are a custom 58 southern mountain rifle and a 20 gauge custom smoothbore fowler. May have to sell of some of the TC's as I have not touched them in a year.

Dave

I have put together 2 of TC's Hawken kits. One for a friend and one for myself. They were both .54 and 1:48 and both shot well, ball or slug. He still has his but I sold mine to get into a different gun. Big mistake! I wish I had it back now. I liked the brass furniture and they were made before TC hogged out the muzzle for "speed loading". Now I am looking for a good used one. I much prefer that design over a gun like a Renegade or N.E.
Shoot straight.

I have 2 Hawkens, a Pennsylvania Hunter, a New Englander and a Seneca. The Renegade felt kind of "club-like" to me...never really cared for it. One of my Hawkens is a very early model in .45 caliber and great walnut. It's my favorite, but I enjoy shooting all of them.

I have a 45 Hawken, but I like all 3. I would like to get a Renegade in 50 and either the New Englander or the PA Hunter too. I really enjoy shooting PRB.

I have 50 and .54 Renegades, and .50 and .54 Hawkens, as well as a .58 Renegade. For .54 & up, I much prefer a Renegade. It handles the recoil of heavy loads better. I'm thinking of re-building the .58 around a TVM English Sporter stock. It will get jiggy with you with 120gr of 2f.

I have a Cherokee 32 Cal perc, In Renegades, I have a 54 Cal. perc, a 56 Smoothbore perc, a 58 Cal. Big Bore perc. Have a New Englander 50 Cal. perc.
I love them all. Have both the double set trigger and the single style trigger stocks. Love the stock style on the New Englander more than the Renegade. Seems to fit me better.
Shoot only RB out of all of them.
Following is the moulds for each rifle:
32 Cal-- .310 RB
50 Cal-- .490 RB
54 Cal-- .530 and .535 RB
56 Cal-- .550 RB
58 Cal-- .562 and .570 RB.
Have 2 Lee "REAL" Bullet molds for 50 and 54 Cal.
All of my T.C.'s are hunting guns. No wall hangers in my cabin. :thumbsup:

Vearl

I love a nice, brass furniture, TC Hawken rifle with a prb and 80 grains of ffg. There really is nothing like the feel of a mighty .50 caliber oomph and see it dead on at 100 yrds.

I have a .50 Hawken and a Renegade that I have 2 barrels for, a .54 rifle and a .56 smoothbore. I had a New Englander but I didn't like the barrel style.

For looks and aesthetic the Hawken wins hands down. My Renegade is likely to get more shoting time as it is more versatile.
Come hunting season I will hunt with the Hawken for bambi, and when it is gobler shooting time the .56 smoothbore will get some feld time.
The Hawken will go on the deer hunt because I think it is nicer looking. That's all I got for that. I think it is prettier. :)

got a couple of each, hunt with the new englanders and target shoot with the hawkens & renegades

Renegade,
I have the typical in 54 and a Big Bore stock with a 62 smoothy mounted on it plus an extra double trigger stock w/lock, all post 98 set-up.

The Hawken don't fit me,, it's a cheek slapper that leaves me feeling like I was in a bar fight with a Lefty the night before.

It's a Renegade 50 caliber percussion for me. When I got it almost thirty years ago I had to choose bewtween that and the Hawken. Liked the flatter butt shape of the Renegade. It also cost a bit less which was a real factor at the time. Never regretted the decision. It has been utterly reliable, accurate and comfortable.

Over time I added a longer, GM slow twist drop-in barrel and another in 32 cal. Had the original barrel reamed out to a 62 cal. smoothbore. (BTW, that 32 cal drop-in barrel is a heavy bugger but very accurate.)

It's still one of my go-to MLs along with a TVM flinter.

Jeff

My favorite is my 36 Seneca, then my Hawken Flintlock, but I have 3 caplock Hawken rifles in different cals. A custom Renegade, with GM round ball barrel, and a Flintlock Renegade, and a 45 Patriot pistol.

For small game my 36 caliber Seneca is my go to rifle. For everything else it's on of 4 TC Hawken rifles.

I prefer the Hawken. I just like it styling even though its not PC. Nice wood, good finish and I like the brass which I now leave tarnished. It just fits better. The Renegade, while a great rifle in its own, just seems to leave me wanting to "improve" things on it.

My favorite TCs are not solely TC.
My idea of what makes one better is below.

IMG_4795-1.jpg

I use a GM 32”, RB barrel on each and a Davis trigger although the photo was taken before I installed it on the cap gun. Both are 50 cal. And both have buck horn sights installed. Also I added toe plates to each. I alter the stocks slightly to fit my desires and put on a nice finish.
Are they still classified as TCs? I don't know!

BTW, neither has it's lock replaced!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked2:

I've got a .50 Hawken with the 15/16" barrel. Shooting conicals, it hit the face too hard and accuracy wasn't the greatest with the .50 PRB.

So now it's got the 32" GM .54 slow twist barrel and only shoots PRB. Really like that combination. It wears a tang mounted aperture sight and is a tack-driver. Recoil is a non-issue.

Also have a .50 Greyhawk (stainless & plastic New Englander) that's my go-anywhere/anytime utility gun. With a 24" barrel, it's light, quick, and handy in blind, treestand, or on a stalk. It's also easy to care for, near indestructible, and comfortable shooting conicals. It has a tang mounted aperture sight and is accurate with conicals out to 100 yards. Come deer season, it's what I'm most likely carrying. Only one fault: It's not a .54.

There's also a .54 Renegade that hasn't been shot yet. If it doesn't work out as-is, there's a slow twist .54 GM RB barrel waiting to go in. If THAT doesn't work, there's always the .58 TC barrel I picked up before the Custom Shop closed.

Back