• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this .50 TC Hawken at a not so local gun shop for $200. Decided to add it to the family in hopes of it becoming a practical deer rifle for the upcoming season.

It bears a lot of scars from former use or abuse but I’ll test it’s accuracy before investing some refinish effort.

Anybody here hunt deer with a Hawken?
A8E88D66-F637-4668-BDD9-64B60920BEC4.jpeg

Have a look at my post from earlier today (A bit of time with the GPR). I only shoot round ball and have no issues as long as you keep the distance reasonable. Have a couple of T/C Hawken`s, love them. From what I have seen our Reds are considerably bigger than your Whitetail. This one is just a Spiker.
DSCF2330.JPG

Last edited:
Have a look at my post from earlier today (A bit of time with the GPR). I only shoot round ball and have no issues as long as you keep the distance reasonable. Have a couple of T/C Hawken`s, love them.View attachment 333847
Plenty of evidence in these replys that round ball is working. Pictures are appreciated.

I have a Renegade purchased new in 1982. Thought it would make a good hunting rifle but shoots way right and sights are horrible.

I think the Hawken is the rifle I should have bought back then, seems easier to hold steady off hand and I prefer the sights.

Down here it took me about 30 years to acquire two .50cal T/C Hawkens , one Flint & one percussion. The last one I saw sold here was a couple of years ago, Percussion .50, it sold for around $1800us ($2000 Kiwi). Pretty sort after.

I swore off TCs when the last one I bought new had the lock installed with hot melt glue from the factory because of a bad lock inlet, but they have a way to creep back into one's life so I now have 2, a stock .50 from a kit and a .54 with a GM barrel.

This was with the .50, round ball and 75 gr of 2F, I hit a little high at 75 yards, broke both shoulders, I had to run him down and put a finish in shot in his neck.

TC buck.JPG

I swore off TCs when the last one I bought new had the lock installed with hot melt glue from the factory because of a bad lock inlet, but they have a way to creep back into one's life so I now have 2, a stock .50 from a kit and a .54 with a GM barrel.

This was with the .50, round ball and 75 gr of 2F, I hit a little high at 75 yards, broke both shoulders, I had to run him down and put a finish in shot in his neck.

View attachment 333878
Eric, is it possible to slim down the stock and wrist of the Hawken some without weakening the wrist?

I think I saw a post from you where you had some experience refinishing and altering the stocks.

Jeff

They can be trimmed down a good bit. This is one with the wrist lengthened and made smaller with a more rounded shape. The butt and forearm are worked down as well.
IMG_0835 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0836 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
They can be trimmed down a good bit. This is one with the wrist lengthened and made smaller with a more rounded shape. The butt and forearm are worked down as well.
That’s the look I was thinking of, if I’m going to refinish to eliminate the dozens of scrapes and dents I might as well slim the wrist, lock panels etc.

I put both of my TCs on a diet, there is a lot of extra wood that can be removed.

This one has a drop in GM barrel, it is a .54.

TC GM.JPG

I reworked the cheekpiece as well.

assembly butt.JPG

The stock I bought looked good on the outside but was a wreak on the inside with stripped screw holes in the tang and oil soaked and cracked wood at several places that I repaired.

I went with bushings and changed the tang screws out with tang bolts.

tang bushings in.JPG

tang bolts.JPG

Round ball for deer and conical for Elk. I killed an Elk in one shot with 50 cal Hawkin with 100 grains under a conical bullet in Colorado. My buddy scored an Elk on the same trip.
If your TC Hawkin has three screws in the tang you can mount a Lyman 57 Peep without drilling. I also use a Lyman 17 front globe sight for target shooting but the bead front sight work well with the peep also. If your eyes are young you will do fine with the sights that came with it.

Great rifles. I've dotted many a eyes with my .50 cal TC Hawken. It's perfect as of now. Zero misses and zero wounds. Enjoy your rifle.

Back