• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz7002

32 Cal.
Reaction score
new to black powder,just bought a oldre renegade in ex cond for 200,it is 54 cal,is that a good buydecided to try blackpowdre,i wanted a spring feild but out of my price,,it has a musket nipple should i chang that..i had a choice of a cva plainsman,i took the tc

tazz said:
new to black powder,just bought a oldre renegade in ex cond for 200,it is 54 cal,is that a good buydecided to try blackpowdre,i wanted a spring feild but out of my price,,it has a musket nipple should i chang that..i had a choice of a cva plainsman,i took the tc

You made a good choice. You don't need a musket cap. A CCI # 11 mag cap is good enough. Most guys put the musket cap on because they don't clean their gun good enough. Ron

+1 more on change the nipple, get a redhot or hotshot type and never look back,
200, you did good and made the right choice.
Gotta love that 54!

Welcome to the forum,,do some reading of past post,s there is ton's of info here

can i swich barrel to 50 cal,seems 50 cal stuff easier to get,also what size nipple does it use

I change out the nipple to a hot shot nipple. Hang on to the nipple you have in case you ever have a problem getting #11 caps. Once in a while in some areas you might find musket caps on a close out real cheap. Over all I'd stay with the #11 caps and only use the musket caps as a last resort.

i agree with Rattrapper. you should hang onto the .54 barrel if you do get a .50. Befoer you drop a bunch of loot on a new barrel, however, i would urge you to buy Dutch Schoultz' method. it's money well spent: his system will tighten your groups for sure. the .54 has a good bit more 'whompability' than the fifty, and in a ML system, you don't really need a bunch of fancy do- dads and 'the very latest thing.'

'the very latest thing,' in this game, is the percussion cap. other stuff unnecessarily guilds the lilly (IMHO).

if you got that rifle for $200, it's a steal. don't tell the government- they hate competition.

good luck, and make good smoke!

Hi tazz,

Welcome to the forum. You can change out the barrel if you want, but it isn't really necessary, .54 is a very common caliber and it's not hard to find the stuff you need to feed it.

If there are no sporting goods or gun shops near you that carry .530 or .535 roundballs, you can order them from Track of the Wolf:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&as=1

Dixie Gun Works:
http://www.dixiegun.com/

Or any of a number of other sources. There may even be some members of this forum who can cast you some balls or bullets. Patching you can get anywhere, including fabric stores (your cheapest bet).

I can tell you that you have purchased a good quality rifle. Over the years I have owned several Renegades, and currently own two, one in .54, the other a .56 smoothbore. My fifteen year-old son also has one of these in .54.

You have also come to the right place for any help you need information-wise. So enjoy your rifle - congratulations on getting such a good deal on it.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Last edited by a moderator:
tazz, you did good! The 54 Renegade is my first choice as a hunting rifle (I love my Renegade!). As mentioned above, the #11 cap is all you're gonna' need, replace that musket nipple with a Hotshot. As for the 50 cal barrel, I wouldn't switch it out, the 54 will do anything the 50 will do.
Welcome to the fire!

Patrick

Hey Tazz, welcome to the forum.

I too recommend you hang on to that .54 barrel. I have .45, 50 & .54 Renegades and the .54 gets shot more than the others.

I have an extra .50 barrel if you want one ($75 shipped). PM me for more details/pictures if you're interested.

:applause: Good buy& good advise your getting. I would keep the 54. I don't have a 50 and don't plan on getting one either, not when I have a 45,54and 58. I bought a 54 one time that had musket nipple on it. The fellow before me was using pellets. And it still wouldn't fire all the time. But if you stick with black powder you won't need anything but #11 caps and nipple. IMO

Agreed with everything said. Excellent buy & keep the .54 if you can. If not, give me a shout!

Semisane has a great deal on that .50 if you can swing it. Just remember that Renegades have 1" barrels, which are harder to find than the 15/16" Hawken barrel.

I've got a .50 and waiting on a .45 for my Renegade. Would love a .54 and a .32/.36, but those small bores will probably have to be something other than a Renegade due to the weight.

Anonym

I have a 54 renegade that I have had for the better part of 30 years now and I also have a 50 caliber hawken and a couple of seneca's and cherokee's.
I am looking for a 58 caliber hawken and a 54 caliber hawken why because I can.
that 54 will do anything you want in the line of hunting and you will never feel under gunned.
As to finding lead, powder, caps they are all easily available.
Caps seem to be going in the direction of only mag caps in my area. Powder is available from many sources so look to find the best price, you can use either 2f or 3f powder. The only thing to remember if you decide to use 3f is to stay 15-20% under the volume of 2f. Example is if it says to use 80 grains of 2f use 64-68 grains of 3f.
Putting a 50 caliber barrel in a 54 caliber rifle has only one issue and that is to make sure the flat width is the same. A lot of 50 caliber barrels are only 15/16 in width while the 54 caliber is 1 inch flats.
I was looking at a hawken 54 caliber for $250 a few days ago may just go buy it.

Idaho Ron said:
tazz said:

You made a good choice. You don't need a musket cap. A CCI # 11 mag cap is good enough. Most guys put the musket cap on because they don't clean their gun good enough. Ron

Ron, good thing I don't take offense easy. "..don't clean their gun good enough" indeed. I'm fanatical about cleaning my guns, and use nothing but FFF in my blackpowder arms but a musket nipple and those big top hat percussion caps are a bit hotter and much, much easier for my arthritic fingers to handle.

The Renegade is an excellent arm for the beginner and seasoned shooter alike. Personally, for a hunting rifle I prefer it over the TC Hawken. Like the others I'd hang onto that .54 barrel. The .530 roundball is an efficient deer killer. If you are inclined to shoot conicals, you'll have a hard time finding .54's at the local wal-mart but a quick google search or call to Track of the Wolf and you can aquire all the 400+ grain projectiles you'll ever need.

John

I was told years ago that in medium twist barrel 1 in 48 like the renegade that 54 cal was a ballistically superior caliber to 50 cal I do not recall why. This is why I bought the 54 cal renegade as my first serious muzzleloader and I dreamed about hunting elk one day (still do) and a 54cal was reccomended. If I was in your shoes I too would buy the 50 cal barrel as a back up and you never know when you may find another renegade with a junk barrel.

Snow on the Roof said:
Ron, good thing I don't take offense easy. "..don't clean their gun good enough" indeed. I'm fanatical about cleaning my guns, and use nothing but FFF in my blackpowder arms but a musket nipple and those big top hat percussion caps are a bit hotter and much, much easier for my arthritic fingers to handle.
John

I am glad you didn't take offense because I was not intending to offend you :thumbsup: . I will say that when most shooters that are on the web talking about switching to a musket caps it is because they are having nasty hang fires. I don't think a musket cap is a long term fix for that condition. Proper care of the rifle is what is needed in most of those cases. Ron

Ron, :thumbsup: let this be a lesson to us, never respond to posts late at night after working a 16 hour shift...

John

took renegade to gunsmith,they could not get breech plug out,to clean..call tc they said it was not meant to come out so how do u clean that down there,,,tc said about 12 week wait on barrels
i got 50 from sussiane..fits like socks on a rooster..i think in spring i gona order new 54 from tc...the 54 i got is ok not great..i think it was made in 70s...

Back