• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Warranty

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither here nor there, but Lifetime guarantee, is for the life of the products run plus five years. (per the federal Trade Commisions Definition of "Lifetime Warranty" When a product stops being produced, a company is mandated to have approximately five years worth of spares for it. The FTC mandates this but allows companies to opt out in cases like fires, and other natural disasters. I'm sorry that it dosen't solve your problem, but s**t like this happens all the time. :sorry:

Neither here nor there, but Lifetime guarantee, is for the life of the products run plus five years. (per the federal Trade Commisions Definition of "Lifetime Warranty" When a product stops being produced, a company is mandated to have approximately five years worth of spares for it. The FTC mandates this but allows companies to opt out in cases like fires, and other natural disasters. I'm sorry that it dosen't solve your problem, but s**t like this happens all the time. :sorry:

Good point here about the FTC. I forgot about that.
I'm sure Aviator and other folks in his postion don't feel much better though.

I think it does show good business to offer a credit. T/C could just say "sorry we can't help you in any way". I guess it's better than nothing. Or they could be out of business and then there would not even be a credit offer?

Yes, and I think that plant fire was way back in the early 90's...quite a long time ago now. I liked the looks of the little Seneca and toyed with the idea of starting up with them but they were small and light for me...then the fire and the parts situation surfaced and I was glad I didn't go down that road...went with their flagship Hawken model instead, figuring it would be around the longest of any of them...no regrets so far.

And IMO, as much as someone might think that TC should offer a means of paying to have a 3rd party 'fix' it, from a corporate perspective, that's a disaster looking for a place to happen...no controls over the quality of a 3rd party repair, no way to ever satisfy a disgrundled customer if the 3rd party repair was unsatisfactory, etc, etc...the corporate position of offering a credit towards another purchase is not only a pretty big gesture in light of the circumstances, but really the only practical thing a company can do.

Unfortunately it may not always be a stisfactory solution to a particular rifle owner, but the business case is to weigh/trade off the potential of one dissatisfied customer against thousands (10's of thousands?) of satisfied customers for whom warranty service has been excellent.

:m2c:

For what it's worth Aviator, I'll keep on the lookout for either a used Seneca for a parts gun or Seneca stocks and parts. I come across stuff all the time as I am a gunshop/gunshow/classifieds/auctions scrounger.

Aviator,

I hope that nothing written by me was upsetting to you. That was not my intent. I simply recognize that an unreasonable thing happened to T/C and that I have had stellar experiences with T/C in their support of their other products. I have also dealt with at least two other ML companies who basically laughed when I tried to get product support. I just wanted the ability to BUY replacement parts and got NO support. I was simply refered to a catalog where I could buy a replacement gun.

On the other hand, T/C sent me parts and apologized for a problem that I caused.

There is no comparison with T/C when it is possible for them to support a product.

As I also stated, I have a Seneca and have had to watch for parts. (I am still looking for the heelside buttplate screw. Might just replace it with an iron screw which is better anyway.)

I fool with used Seneca parts and can also watch for a stock for you as the normal scenario involves a neglected barrel. But I would glue it if it were mine.

My earlier comment regarding buying your barrel was neither opportunist nor insincere. I would prefer to hear that you kept it, glued your stock and won every match in your state or killed rabbits until you became old and fat with it.

On the other hand, if you viewed it as a problem, there is still an active market for these old guns. I have about 4 T/C breechplugs -- 3 for Seneca/Cherokee. My buddy or I will put these on custom barrels -- likely in .40 cal.
I am sure that we could move your barrel without trouble as could you.

YMHS,
CrackStock

CrackStock: I love your username. No I can't think of anything you wrote that offended me. No worries. I don't know yet what I will do with the barrel. I had one built but will likely scrounge the underlug and rear sight as a minimum from the old one. I will try to glue the old stock and it that works, I'm fine with that. If not, I suppose I'll do what many of the other fine folks on this site do and that is build a replacement stock. If I end up doing that, then I'll probably see if Thompson will buy my gun back (get a credit) and just sell whatever they give me. They really don't have anything that turns my crank at this time. Thanks to all the folks that responded to this thread. I would hope that Thompson has taken note and understands that in this day and age of electronics that the customer still has some level of recourse. Know your target. Hank

Bill of the 45th: I wasn't aware of the specifics of the law concerning warranties. What I do know is that the warranty states (I still have the origional papers) that it is for the "lifetime of the origional purchaser." I understand if they can't stand behind it, then they can't stand behind it. Thats life. I feel comfortable saying again that in my case, their warranty is more for advertising/marketing than a lifetime warranty. Hank

I have also dealt with at least two other ML companies who basically laughed when I tried to get product support.

I had a similar problem with a very well known company and as a result I will not buy from them.

Aviator,

My name was earned partly due to a T/C Hawken (which they gladly replaced) and my efforts to fix it.

I have moved beyond them also, but many of my relatives are still using the early ones that I put together from kits.

Oddly enough, I worked in aviation for a time, so I like your name as well.

YMHS,
CrackStock

T/C will still cover your lock and triggers.If you don't want cracks buy composite stocked guns. Glue it, pin it and be done with it. Remember you bought it to use not hang on the wall. Bishop stock Co. might help. :imo:
Nit Wit

T/C will still cover your lock and triggers.If you don't want cracks buy composite stocked guns. Glue it, pin it and be done with it. Remember you bought it to use not hang on the wall. Bishop stock Co. might help. :imo:
Nit Wit

FYI...unless they've dug up an old stash in the back yard, my understanding is that TC no longer has Seneca / Cherokee locks, triggers, or barrels either...no parts at all.

Back