• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Warranty

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator_2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In an earlier post I mentioned I found a crack in the stock of my TC Seneca. I wrote to Thompson Center and received a nice letter back explaining how part of their factory had burned down and that they couldn't replace Seneca parts. They offered to give me a credit toward another of their products. A subsequent phone conversation with the head of their customer service department yielded nothing further. While polite, Mr. Pancurak was not interested in having his people look at my stock to see if they could repair it and had absolutely no interest in participating financially in having an outside source build me another stock if this one could not be repaired. Since I have recently had another barrel built for this stock, I cannot just abandon the rifle and actually really like the gun. No other gun I have fits me as well. Apparently Thompson's warranty leaves little room for individual cases such as mine and as such, the lifetime warrenty they offer is worthless to me. Know your target. Hank

Aviator,
Really sorry to hear about your Seneca. Don't think that I am defending T/C because I'm not. I've not had anything other that great service from T/C.

T/C has never "repaired" anything for a few of the issues I have had with other models (Renegade, New Englander and Omega). They replace the part with an off the shelf spare versus repair services.

Unfortunately lifetime warrantys do have limitations in certain cases.

There were several models being produced by the T/C custom shop that burned, destroying everything as far as I understand. This includes all of the tooling and spare parts. The Seneca was among the models and parts bins that were ruined. So, T/C has no spare parts or tooling to make such parts to include stocks for the Seneca. Otherwise, they would likely tell you to simply send yours to them and they would send you a replacement.

Because of the fate of the Seneca and more importantly the spare parts and tooling, used Seneca's in good shape are not cheap.

This is my understanding of things.

It's beyond obviously frustrating for you as there are only limited parts stock for the Seneca that would have been benched with suppliers and the stock is not likely one of them.

Still, one would think that T/C should be able to do something more than just toss out a credit unless it was of equal value to the Seneca? Perhaps if pressed they will attempt to repair it or have it repaired for you?

Does the crack in the stock make the rifle unusable or is it cosmetic?

If it's cosmetic, then perhaps a reasonable credit can keep you stocked in shooting supplies or something and that might offset either living with it or having it repaired.

If it's service affecting and you can no longer safely use the rifle, then that is something else.

What sort of credit did T/C have in mind?

Perhaps some folks on the forum has more information about the Seneca and possible parts or options?

Unfortunately lifetime warrantys do have limitations in certain cases.

I believe GAAP recognizes 15 years as all a lifetime warranty actually can be provided for in setting liability reserves(*) aside for claims. Don't know what a trial lawyer might have as a different definition.

(*) Reserve: a way to hide profits while keeping the money readily available. :rolleyes:

i'd make a call to pecatonica river and see if they can do a replacement stock fer ya....it might cost but you'll have a much better looking stock and a rifle that would be much better IMHO..................bob

Might that stock be off a Renegade? It does kind of look like one of my Renegades...

Might that stock be off a Renegade? It does kind of look like one of my Renegades...

Says it has a 13/16" barrel bed which let's out the Renegade...and that's the forearm shape for them too...the straight butt is a puzzler...makes me wonder if it was some sort of set-aside from manufacturing before the butt got curve-cut...

Hello,

I had a crack in my Renegade's stock and I fixed it using Elmer's Carpenters Glue and a clamp. Been fine for over six years now, actually it's probably stronger than the surrounding wood.
In an earlier post I mentioned I found a crack in the stock of my TC Seneca. I wrote to Thompson Center and received a nice letter back explaining how part of their factory had burned down and that they couldn't replace Seneca parts. They offered to give me a credit toward another of their products. A subsequent phone conversation with the head of their customer service department yielded nothing further. While polite, Mr. Pancurak was not interested in having his people look at my stock to see if they could repair it and had absolutely no interest in participating financially in having an outside source build me another stock if this one could not be repaired. Since I have recently had another barrel built for this stock, I cannot just abandon the rifle and actually really like the gun. No other gun I have fits me as well. Apparently Thompson's warranty leaves little room for individual cases such as mine and as such, the lifetime warrenty they offer is worthless to me. Know your target. Hank

A good friend of mine who flies (and crashes) model aircraft a lot suggested the two part epoxy glue they use for repairing and building RC's. I know epoxy will never break down in my lifetime (I wonder if they have a lifetime warranty too?). My deal with Thompson was disappointing much because as I talked with their customer service folks about having them take a look at possibly repairing it, they had no interest in even trying to fix the stock. They wished me well in my own attempts and that was it. Again as I stated before, they offered to give me a credit on my gun but would not entertain my question about contributing toward having someone build me a stock. It was basically their way or the highway. I understand they have a repair shop and I wonder why they couldn't at least take it into their shop and have a look at it? Know your target. Hank

if they are willing to give ya credit and you keep the stock i'd say at this point is take there credit and go and get some stuff ya need....and do some blind repairs with epoxy and be well with that....it's suprising they went that route but being a disconinued gun maybe thats what's to come with an item like that :imo:...............bob

A good friend of mine who flies (and crashes) model aircraft a lot suggested the two part epoxy glue they use for repairing and building RC's. I know epoxy will never break down in my lifetime (I wonder if they have a lifetime warranty too?). My deal with Thompson was disappointing much because as I talked with their customer service folks about having them take a look at possibly repairing it, they had no interest in even trying to fix the stock. They wished me well in my own attempts and that was it. Again as I stated before, they offered to give me a credit on my gun but would not entertain my question about contributing toward having someone build me a stock. It was basically their way or the highway. I understand they have a repair shop and I wonder why they couldn't at least take it into their shop and have a look at it? Know your target. Hank

Hank, I have a little insight into TC's operation after using their products and service for 15+ years and will offer the following opinion based upon my discussions, situations, working with them over all the years, which did involve several expensive warranty issues.

Since their unfortunate factory fire, when they scrambled to get the business up and going again, they had to make a number of strategic changes to the way the business used to be run in order to get back into operation in any kind of timely manner at all...and that involved outsourcing a tremendous amount of what they used to do in house, and had their own control over.

One major outsourcing activity was that the gun stock operation was contracted out (a company in Missouri I think). Yes, TC has a customer service department in New Hampshire but it is now mainly a parts replacement operation...if you have a bad part, they'll replace it and send it back...however, right, wrong, or otherwise, that does require that they have the parts in inventory to do that, and they don't have Seneca parts due to the fire.

And unfortunately, since they no longer have the wood working / gun stock operation there they literally do not take in that kind of work any longer as they're not set up for it...and probably no longer even have the expertise for it on staff.

They contract the gun stock manufacturing out as a commodities operation, using computer controlled robot equipment that simply turns out identical looking stocks on machines...no alterations, no custom work, no repairs, etc...just turns out new stocks. If they did have or could get a new Seneca stock made they'd do it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately that's no longer an option.

Given all that, most companies with such a devastating, business operations-altering factory fire would probably tell you that story and feel legitimately relieved from further obligation...so from one perspective it looks like TC actually tried to go the extra mile by at least offering that stock cost credit towards a replacement muzzleloader.

I'm not making light of your situation and I'm sure you're disappointed, but in practical terms, I'm not sure what else could be expected of them, or any company under those circumstances...because outside this unfortunate, unique situation, TC's lifetime warranty has been second to none for me, replacing two complete Hawken and Cougar stock assemblies, and several flint lock assemblies, no charge...but it was because they had the parts.

:m2c:

Bob 1961: I think the intent is for them to take my gun altogether in exchange for the credit. Stumpkiller, I can see Thompson's situation almost as well as I see my own. In my origional post, I stated that as far as I was concerned, given all the circumstances of all parties concerned, the warranty was worthless to me as it does not give me what I need. OK, so they don't have anyone that can try to glue the crack again. There are still folks that could build me a stock and I am disappointed that TC won't even consider giving me a nickle's worth of help if I chose to go that route. But I appreciate your perspective. Hank

I'm deeply hurt. :cry:

If they do make the claim "Lifetime Warranty" they should certainly be helpful in these situations. I've always had very good luck with T/C (four m/l rifles and three Contender pistols), but I've only dealt with customer service once (they sent me the parts I needed free - I was tickled).

Even if they don't have an in-house repair gunsmith I would think they're large enough to quailfy someone nearby who they could farm it out to. :nono:

Aviator,

The fire took place long ago and TC has the best reputation for supporting their products. This is a sad anomally for an otherwise good outfit.

I have sympathy for your situation as I also own a Seneca.
I have been accumulating parts just to keep mine supplied.

As I see it, you basically have a few options:

Buy spare parts.

Repair it as has been described.

Sell it as parts and get your money back.

Sell it all as a project.

What is the spare barrel? Maybe I can help you out there.

CS

I had a problem with a Cherokee barrel and their solution was to credit me also. They would keep it and with extra $ would be glad to have a System 1 muzzleloader, told me about the Seneca to. I have bought several TC muzzleloader products, after that I don't need another one of their Lifetime warrantys. That is the reason I bought them in the first place, warranty not worth the paper it was printed on. I got a GM barrel shoots better than the original. If it was me I would Epoxy the crack in the stock and refinish. Done correctly it is stronger than the wood stocks I used it on. Good Luck

Peashooter: Thanks for helping me vindicate my position. I was wondering if I was out on left field on this. I still think that having a "policy" as many large corportations do regarding warranty will go only so far, expecially since circumstances (factory burning down) sometimes dictate that flexibility be exercised regarding unusual situations. Hank

Latest posts

Back