• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you think of Traditions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you!I would much prefer to drive a Ferrari Testa Rosa BUT so I drive Chev.I have two custom rifles and an old CVA along with a Shenandoah and various other rifles.Strange thing, I about wore out one of the customs sending it back to get it fixed.No names because the maker finally did get it right,incidently it was one of the highly touted makers.The customs have become something I bring out to impress somebody.The CVA and the Shenandoah I shoot all the time,they are dependable and very accurate.I couldn't care less about HC or PC.If the rifle is in good shape and you have some ability and knowledge or a willingness to learn,and most of all someone who can guide you,go for it.AS others have said there are Lymans and TC's out there for very little more.Both of these are excellent but neither are HC or PC.

I think that having a Traditions to start is a great IDEA!!!! I bought a used T/C kit gun and was advised not to because it was an 'average' rifle. I took second in rifle for the year and did not even shoot the whole year. It may need some work (what rifle does not) but it is a start.

Maybe 62smoothie was too harsh but getting into the hobby is a start. Yes I would love to have a TVM or a custom build but funds, 3 y.o., child support etc., etc., calls for a $150 T/C percussion that will shoot way better than I ever could.

I say go for it, then find a group/gunsmith that shoots too and learn how to work on a lock, tune it and shoot even better. I learned and you can too.

Traditions may not be top o' the line but so what. It will shoot and shoot well with a bit of tweaking. I have a Traditions Pennsulvania flint and it shoots fine. Have not had it long enough to fine tune but I am learning and that is the fun of it.

Gentlemen,
I am not here to rail against your advice (good as it is or maybe) but if he is starting out, $150 is much better than saving up for a $1200+ rifle that may be months or more before he can shoot. Remember what we ALL started out on? Most started out with a borrowed or third/fourth/fifth or worse hand rifle that had seen much better days.

Go for it and don't look back.

Cheers,
DonK

loco219 said:
Although cheap in the beginning, you will throw money at it constantly until you get it right, then have more in it than a quality gun costs. For $100 more you can buy a quality used flinter
this time of year. Just today a TC Renegade went for $185 in my area, but I missed it. I would steer clear of Traditions.

If anyone has these junk Traditions rifles, I'll take 'em off your hands for free :thumbsup:

Seriously, I learned how to work on modern guns by way of an old gunsmith I knew. I would go to his shop and he'd throw junk guns at me to fix until they were right. Now most things are cake.

However, sidelocks are different enough that I'd really benefit from fixing and tuning a few. They don't have as many parts, and so those parts that they do have, must be perfect.

I'd like to learn how to make them so.

Josh

From what I've observed on the firing line, Traditions are always causing problems. In one, the nipple fractured, sheared, and a piece flew off, luckily not killing anyone.

After seeing that nipple fracture and fly, I wouldn't own a Traditions.

Coot said:
Your post is an embarrassment to you and to this forum. Hope fully the moderators will remove it. :shake:
I agree, this question was asked, "What do you think of Traditions?" and people came here and answered it honestly. For someone to get pissy over that is just not right.

I have experience with only two Traditions models, my Hawken Woodsman (perc.) and a friend's older Flintlock full stock. This may be what the original poster is describing. It has a lot of brass inlays, not sure it is a Shenandoah because it is much longer than the current shenandoah rifle. It weighs a ton, goes boom when you pull the trigger and hits where you aim it. The quality is good. Neither the lock or the triggers are "rough". The only problem I have ever had with my Hawken is the nipple disintegrating at the beginning. I have shot it regularly for 6 years now. Dependable and accurate. The barrel is smooth, lock is sturdy and the double set triggers are well machined and function flawlessly. Maybe I just got lucky.I would put my Hawken up against a TC any day of the week and the consensus seems to be that the TC is an acceptable gun. If someone can get into this sport for $150 and have a rifle that will do what it is intended to do and learn in the meantime, I think they should be encouraged. From there they can decide if they want to invest more money to upgrade the quality of their gear. Check out the bore, make sure the lock and triggers function and if all looks good buy it and have fun.

Flint62Smoothie said:
Mike Brooks said:
Waste of $150 IMHO.
I'm appalled at YOU! What a disgusting comment! YOU should be ashamed! You know, I'm a friend of Mario (who introduced me to flintlock shooting) and I was strongly considering having you build me a custom arm some day ... but not now, you conceited a$$!

Capt. Jas. said:
I would save the 150 and keep adding to it to get something better.

C'mon guys ... are you all for real? What do all you do ... make millions a year? $150 for someone who admitted they DO NOT have a flintlock and this could get them into flint shooting NOW ... ??? And perhaps eventually they'll love it sooooooooooooooo much they'll buy a custom flintlock by a noted and honorable custom builder some day ... ??????

No brainer ... BUY it! And if you're short on ca$h, I'll even send you $10 myself to help pay for it.

So I welcome you to the world of flintlock shooting!

Now, admittedly, Traditions can be rough! PM and I can help you through it, as I had bought one identical for my 11 year old nephew to get him into flintlock shooting ... since his Father couldn't afford one (they're on tough times) and I couldn't afford a $2,000 Mike Brooks longrifle to introduce him to the wonderful experience of flintlocks. For the record, that PA flintlock now shoots reliably and the darn kid LOVES it!

Some people here ... just don't quite "get it" :shake: ... not everyone has had the experiences and/or privileges they have had ... :idunno:

You will, however, find others quite helpful here!
I'll stick with my opinion. I din't start out with junk and there is still no junk at my house after 30 years. I save my money untill I can buy a quality gun that works and will retain it's value. Most of all I have pride in my equipment and I don't think I could show up at a shoot packing a foriegn made gun.... :shake:
Oh, by the way, I really don't care if I build you a gun some day or not. In fact, I think I definately prefer not to.

Flint62Smoothie said:
Mike Brooks said:
Waste of $150 IMHO.
I'm appalled at YOU! What a disgusting comment! YOU should be ashamed! You know, I'm a friend of Mario (who introduced me to flintlock shooting) and I was strongly considering having you build me a custom arm some day ... but not now, you conceited a$$!

Capt. Jas. said:
I would save the 150 and keep adding to it to get something better.

C'mon guys ... are you all for real? What do all you do ... make millions a year? $150 for someone who admitted they DO NOT have a flintlock and this could get them into flint shooting NOW ... ??? And perhaps eventually they'll love it sooooooooooooooo much they'll buy a custom flintlock by a noted and honorable custom builder some day ... ??????

No brainer ... BUY it! And if you're short on ca$h, I'll even send you $10 myself to help pay for it.

So I welcome you to the world of flintlock shooting!

Now, admittedly, Traditions can be rough! PM and I can help you through it, as I had bought one identical for my 11 year old nephew to get him into flintlock shooting ... since his Father couldn't afford one (they're on tough times) and I couldn't afford a $2,000 Mike Brooks longrifle to introduce him to the wonderful experience of flintlocks. For the record, that PA flintlock now shoots reliably and the darn kid LOVES it!

Some people here ... just don't quite "get it" :shake: ... not everyone has had the experiences and/or privileges they have had ... :idunno:

You will, however, find others quite helpful here!

I thought my post was written nicely. Opinions were asked for and I gave mine. Throwing good money out for piece of junk where that money could be used as a start for something better is a waste in my opinion.
I just dont view buying a ML gun like I do buying everyday items or kids toys at wallyworld. It has very little to do with how much money I have burning a hole in my pocket at present but how much I can a save up in an amount of time and not forsake the more important needs of life.
This has nothing to do with custom guns. If he wants a factory made gun get a TC for that matter.

We have a young man on this forum who bought a Traditions( new) against all advice to the contrary, and after dealing with all the problems with that gun he has made it Work. But, he now regrets his earlier decision to buy the gun.

Buying a gun involves different values. Not all people look at money the same way. At least two major philosophies about the value of money, and the worth of a firearm have been well presented here.

I don't think this is a question about buying a "Traditions", with its problems, vs. a Custom Gun, either.

There are other commercially produced rifles out there that cost a lot less than a custom rifle. AND, there are well maintained, but "used" rifles for sale out there, by members here, who would be more than happy to help the new owner know all the information needed to shoot that gun successfully, shortening the "learning curve" for new shooters considerably.

Some of us were raised to save our money, do our shopping carefully, and buy the very best gun we can for the money. Others look at guns as just another toy- to be used and discarded if it doesn't work right.[ A close friend found one of those zip guns we don't talk about here, in a dumpster at the local reclamation center. Surprise!] Neither is wrong- just different. :grin: :hatsoff:

Around here they go for around 100$ or less. I see TC Hawkin rifles sell for 150 a lot at pawn shops some look ok. I have a few CVA Traditions they are not that bad. But a cap gun in traditions would be LESS problems. I think the price should be less to invest in a flint Traditions. Larry

paulvallandigham said:
We have a young man on this forum who bought a Traditions( new) against all advice to the contrary, and after dealing with all the problems with that gun he has made it Work. But, he now regrets his earlier decision to buy the gun.

Buying a gun involves different values. Not all people look at money the same way. At least two major philosophies about the value of money, and the worth of a firearm have been well presented here.

I don't think this is a question about buying a "Traditions", with its problems, vs. a Custom Gun, either.

There are other commercially produced rifles out there that cost a lot less than a custom rifle. AND, there are well maintained, but "used" rifles for sale out there, by members here, who would be more than happy to help the new owner know all the information needed to shoot that gun successfully, shortening the "learning curve" for new shooters considerably.

Some of us were raised to save our money, do our shopping carefully, and buy the very best gun we can for the money. Others look at guns as just another toy- to be used and discarded if it doesn't work right.[ A close friend found one of those zip guns we don't talk about here, in a dumpster at the local reclamation center. Surprise!] Neither is wrong- just different. :grin: :hatsoff:
To each their own I say. The poster asked what "I" thought and that's what he got from me. I have read posts from guys that literally have a dozen or two of these types of guns and they seem as happy as can be...more power to them. :thumbsup: Just not MY cup o tea is all.

We all may have moments of strongly reporting our feelings about a post but this is a case where the response was way over the top for the post it was aimed at, and someone expressed the anti PC/HC mindset and it was only passingly pointed out as a feature of the gun with no bashing, bad talk, or suggesting it as a reason for not buying the gun, it was presented in a tastefull mater of fact method which allows the potential buyer a view of All aspects of the gun.

I have a couple of them, one flinter, one caper and havent had trouble with either of them, which makes me a pretty lucky boy. From the ones I have shot they all went bang when they were supposed to and were good shooters, not anywhere near PC/HC but did ok for what they are or where for the ones I have sold, traded, given away, etc.
They are, or were, low cost entry level guns that allowed people to wet their teeth on them, some were good, some were better.

With that being said there are better guns out there to start with that dont cost a great deal more than a good used or new Traditions costs and with hind sight being 20/20, if I was starting out I'd be looking for a good quality used GPR, Pedersoli, or save up even more and bird dog one of the auction sites for a better quality rifle.

All we can do here is offer our opinions based upon our own experiences with said item that is asked about. Having started out at the tender age of six with a hand me down family rifle that was 120 odd years old when it was given to me, and not starting out with a production rifle, I can only offer my opinion which is if you can hold off and find a higher quality rifle, go for it.
I've never had a bad traditions rifle, but I suppose I am lucky.

have been shooting traditions, a number of years now. been going to shoots at least, a couple a month. am not ashamed to carry my gun into any of them. shot just as many rounds as the next guy, had just as much fun, got alkinds of advise from anyone that i talk to, an no one put my gun down in any respect.have had real good luck with them, and even won a shoot or two.i believe you only get what you pay for also, but as an entry level gun ,it has been as good as any of the other production run guns. if i had run across that gun it would be setting in my house.

I would say that the idea of learning flint is good, but understand that you are jumping into a situation where a low quality lock might cause you frustration. Flinters are a tough learning curve anyway and this might sour the whole experience.

On the other hand, it is a learning experience and you get to decide what these lessons should cost and what you wish to learn with this possible purchase.

For a new and unfired Traditions, I think that the price is not too bad. They go lower when used, but that depends upon location and condition.

I have to say that I would be thinking that $150 would get me a good lock so that I could start amassing my parts for another rifle project.

droptine55 said:
have been shooting traditions, a number of years now. been going to shoots at least, a couple a month. am not ashamed to carry my gun into any of them. shot just as many rounds as the next guy, had just as much fun, got alkinds of advise from anyone that i talk to, an no one put my gun down in any respect.have had real good luck with them, and even won a shoot or two.i believe you only get what you pay for also, but as an entry level gun ,it has been as good as any of the other production run guns. if i had run across that gun it would be setting in my house.
I agree completly, I feel that if a person new to ML wants to by an entry level gun to get started and try it out to see its for them then by all means go for it. Yes they know that a $2000. custom is the pinnical to strive for but I personnaly would rather have a rifle that was not perfect and needed some work,I learn better by figuring out whats wrong and fixing/repairing it my self so that I KNOW my gun and if it craps out on me I don't have to send it in to repair it. But thats me. But the question was what do you think, and I see ML is just like Bee Keeping, ask 5 people a question and get 6 answers and 10 disagreements. Bent

I have never heard any complains about the accuracy of these barrels on the Traditions. The complaints have to do with the lock, and construction of the guns. Sometimes the sights aren't the best.

Newbies generally have no clue what is good and what isn't. Too much Hollywood movie and TV education! :shocked2: :nono: And, most Newbies don't have much skill in fixing things, much less working on gun locks.

Its for those reasons I don't recommend the Traditions- the disappointment possibilities are too numerous, and the frustration is a real concern. A lot of guys will simply walk away from the sport when a gun they buy doesn't work right out of the box. That's not fair to them, nor to the sport. :thumbsup:

If it has a double set trigger it would be a huge improvement.

Mine had a single trigger and was horrible. I played with it and got it better, but I would never call it even a fair trigger.

I've now been spoiled by the Davis trigger in my TC.

Back