• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you think of Traditions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to say but if I had a 2000$ rifle I would beat the brush with it the same as any other gun. And I do mean BEAT the brush. The last time I rabbit hunted(when we had rabbits) it was with a Parker double barrel. Well oiled well tended but well used is the way I go. All people are differant. Would be a boring world otherwise. :grin: Larry Wv

I have the Traditions Pennsylvania 50 cal and in about 6 years have over 5,000 rounds through it. Shoots very well and is put together well.

Often a very nice gun can be had used for $800 and a quality/authentic gun is much more than for show and should be used as any other hunting tool,if one finaly is able to aford a ype of car long wanted it is not normal to park it in the garage and never drive it for fear of damage, as for making remarks about production level guns with no backup statments it is liklely that at times ater 30-40 years of experience between the two levels of guns that some simply consider the reasoning as implied or understood considering the vast repititon of such post on the net, there are two very different worlds here and at times neither may make the best presentation for their case, and the two sides will never likley see things from the others perspective, and honesty no matter how presented is often taken as a slam if it does not concur with anothers pre-concieved notions.I do not see any easy solution to what can become a donnybrook at the drop of a word from time to time.This post is not directed at anyone in particular.

WOW! I find trhe attitudes about" $2000" guns a bit disturbing. I sell guns in that price range for a living and none of the owners consider them show pieces. These are made to use and in some cases use hard. "Rich" people aren't my customers, most guys that buy my stuff save up for a long time. ( Just like I do for my toys)
I have some BPCR's in the $3000 - $5000 range and shoot them all the time. I' don't abuse them, I just use them for their intended purpose and take care of them properly.
I guess I just like nice stuff and won't tolerate ugly cheaply made guns. To each their own I guess.

Mike,
I think what they are getting at is when you have paid a few hundred dollars for a rifle (more than once) that paying $1500, $2000 or more that it would be a 'showpiece' rifle to them. I have two rifles, a T/C 'Hawken' that shoots the lights everytime ($150) and I just traded for a Traditions Pennsylvania that sparks really well (can't shoot it yet due to the snow/ice). It brand new would be the way upper end of my pocketbook. I have never seen your work but from your defense of your craft, you are probably very good at what you do. And I do appreciate fine workmanship!!

I think the view here is, if it works and the price is right and just starting out...buy it and learn. The point is not to spend too much now and learn but when you have grown into the hobby start to upgrade. Like buying a Formula one racer to start out in racing. BUT, there are many really good rifles out there at the 500 to 1000 dollar range. Just trying to help everyone see the light.

If you want a reliable flinter check with the locals and the upcoming antique gun shows that are coming up.

Good Luck and have fun!!

(my 2p worth) :v

Cheers, DonK

Thank you Sir, for the compliment. :hatsoff:

I am lucky in that we have many fine gunsmiths around (John Shipper lives up the road a tad...drool, drool and another drool).
I am constantly impressed at what these Smiths can do. If I was 30 years younger, I would beg and beg to be apprenticed to learn this craft. Too many never share their craft and when they are gone, it darkens the sky a bit more.

Good luck on your purchase!

Cheers, DonK

Back