• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you think of Traditions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first gun was a traditions .50cal hawken percussion kit.

The lock works well But Ive worked on it alot to get it firing, My only complaint was the fouwling with pyrodex, Nothing wrong with the gun but Im thinking about a restock but with those parts it wont be worth the wood used.

Overall I have really liked the traditions gun.

Here are my thoughts.First, I have a old cva flintlock I got that did not function. I know nothing about flintlocks but I am learning with this one. I am enjoying the tinkering and tweeking. If you like this as I do buy the rifle and tinker away. I believe I learn more this way. If on the other hand you are just interested in the shooting side of it you my want to look at a different route. I have made the cva go bang but not reliably but I will and for me that is half the fun. I will one day own a custom flinter but by then I will know exactly what I want and more importantly what I don't want. My 2 cents and by looking at my ranking worth way less than that.

I have two Traditions percussion rifles one of which I've had for twenty years. True, their flint locks are something of a manure shoot. But, in general, they are good entry level guns. You probably should say no to any that need to be "fixed" unless it's dirt cheap. You still may have to tune the flint lock and then it may be fine as is. They are not "fine" guns but they will give good service.

Gentlemen, thank you one and all. I see valid points on both sides and will either call and see if I can get it for "dirt cheap" or continue to look at the classifieds here (or both). If anyone has any options, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Well, I’ll just add that I’m man enough to admit I erred. Personal attacks and slander are uncalled for and personal apologies have been sent to those I offended. It would have been best if I had kept my beliefs to myself, so my apologies also to you ”“ those reading this. But if you’re read this far ”¦ maybe on some level you’ll understand where the depth of my emotion comes from that led to the vitriol expressed in my post, albeit as a terrible example thereof.

I think we as sportsman need to do everything we can, even at our own expense, to encourage others into our sport. To that end, I was instrumental in building an indoor archery range at my fish & game club that has taught thousands how to shoot archery, earned hundreds of scout merit badges, and annually has well over 100 youths participating in the Winter league. For years I’d scour yard sales and such for used bows & arrows and would fix them up and give them to this junior program.

Then I got into flintlocks - bigtime. As stated, I got a young family member of my girlfriend started into muzzleloading by fixing up an old clunker, a Traditions to be exact. And I have another one being tuned right now ”¦ this one to be given in less than 2 weeks to someone who started out with ”˜junk’ arms (as defined by some of you), who then progressed to a T/C, and then onto a Pedersoli. They now have sold their Pedersoli and are buying a Chambers kit ”¦ but this will leave them without a flintlock for ”“ who knows how long - maybe up to a year, as they’ve never built a kit, any kit. I had the opportunity to buy a ”˜like new’ Traditions PA flintlock like the poster of this post had, for short money. I’m now tuning the lock as we speak and polishing the patent breech, and will test fire it this weekend. My plan is to give it to this man so he can continue to participate in our sport and not stand it on the side lines. After he’s done with it, I’ll play around with the wood and trim it down. Then it will be given out as a prize at a Winter Biathlon, with the sole purpose to be given to a youngster or newcomer to muzzleloading.

If it’s one thing I hate ”¦ it is what I call “drive by” posts, where someone says ”˜no’, like Mike did, without any rationale and reasoning. Now what value is there in that kind of post I ask you to honestly answer? So I offered, to the topic poster, that I would not only give them $10 towards the purchase, but via a PM, I offered to tune the lock and trigger if needed/wanted - for nothing.

A preferred post of ”˜value’ would have made the poster aware of the possible short comings of Traditions flintlocks, like but not limited to ”¦ way too chunky in design, way too much wood on the lock panels, heavy frizzen springs, soft frizzens, misplaced touch holes, heavy triggers, and possibly problems with their patent breech design. All but the wood are simple fixes really and while there’s no way I’m saying tuning a Traditions will make a ”˜silk purse out of a sow’s ear’(less the wood issue), it will make it into a 100% reliable and shootable firearm. And I’m intentionally leaving things out like the way they fasten the ramrod thimbles to the barrel.

Point is for $150, I’d rather have that shooter join our ranks with this Traditions flintlocks than not join us, and they admitted to me they couldn’t afford a Lyman or any other gun for a while. So while I express my strong dislike for “drive by’ posts of no value to the question asked, I understand that my post was more like a “mob hit”. Know that it was not intended with the tone or vitriol it now appears to display; my initial reaction was more like “What the ”¦ ?” kind of reply was that ”¦ more so sarcastically and well, it just got under my skin. But like a roundball fired ”¦ I can’t take it back ”“ it’s out there. And for that, I do express my regrets to the readers of these wonderful forums. Cheers.

My first decent muzzleloader was a traditions kentucky and I have no complaints about what people are usually concerned about with traditions such as wood, locks, etc. My complaint is that it has that 2-piece stock. I always had to struggle to get the fit of those 2 pieces to fit right. The Shenandoah has a 1 piece stock I just don't see why the kentucky can't feature the same thing, or why they made it that way in the first place :idunno:.

I have a 2 traditions rifles , they work great , they dont cost much but they get the job done , I had them for years and the only part broke on one is the trigger spring , called traditions up , got a replacement part free , fast shipping on parts. Theres nuffin wrong getting a traditions

Oops, I forgot this was in the flintlock forum. My experience with traditions was a percussion, not flint. But the inner workings of the lock worked satisfactory for me but I have no idea about their flintlock geometry, etc.

I've been known to be too honest too on this forum.

Most of the time it doesn't go over that well. I've had to back off a bit, but I don't feel any different. I just don't always give my honest opinion anymore.

I do understand where you're coming from, and I did when I first read your first post.

Sometimes straight to the point honesty is not the best way. :idunno:

A lot of us answered the question asked honestly. Unfortunately some don't like it when they hear what they don't want to hear. Happens on to many threads.

Thank you for your recent post. I really do not believe that anyone on the Forum wants to discourage a newcomer. When someone asks for opinions on a gun or anything else, it is a given that there will be a range of different answers. Every "answer" is based on that poster's experience and perspective: some may be what one wants to hear & some not. If everyone would simply make honest & civil posts, and let the original poster decide which responses apply to their situation, life would be calmer. Not everyone has the skill & knowledge to "tweak" a gun & make it into a reliable shooter. Without knowing the skill set of the poster, advice to look at guns with a better reputation for out of the box reliability can easily be based on a desire to keep a new shooter from becoming frustrated & quitting. Not everyone is interested in either hunting or reenacting or target competitions but mentioning what the gun in question may or may not be suitable for does help the novice decide whether it is a good choice for them - which may not be a good choice for someone else. I want to believe that all of the advice given here is meant to be helpful. Once again, thanks for your post.

I've never owned or handled a Traditions gun so I can't give advice about their quality but I would like to make a few comments, hopefully for the good of the order. I just read through this thread for the first time and find it comical in some ways.

First of all, some of the Traditions defenders have gotten the idea that the original poster is talking about a "like new" gun. What he said was that the gun was a "little rough on the outside" and that the antique shop owner had not shot it. He never said that it was a like new gun and it sounds to me like its condition is probably fair at best.

Even some of the Traditions defenders have suggested that they're OK if you replace the frizzen, the lock or the triggers. Well, to purchase the rifle at the asking price and replace one, two or three of the above would cost between $165-330 or thereabouts. That seems like a pretty steep price for a gun that may not be in great condition.

I won't make any comments about the overall quality of a Traditions gun because I'm not qualified to do so but like some of the others have suggested, I've seen some TC flint guns in very good condition for $150-200. I'm not convinced that I could find one right now for that price but I'd think if I kept my eye on newspaper and Craig's list ads and if I stopped into a gun show or pawn shop from time to time that I could find one fairly easily in the next sevderal months.

Just my two cents and I'd hope that the original poster has learned something. By the way, I'd like to welcome you to the forum and to the sport as well.

You are right, people don't want to hear that their “prize” is a piece of junk. But some posters answer with ideology. They have decided before hand it's a Traditions, it has to be a piece of junk.

Well, come on! Did you check out the lock, stock and barrel and snag a bargain or check it out and walk away?

Let's just say that the dealer walked away from my counter offer -- after I left a message explaining that there was a possibility of having to replace parts / have "serviced."

I'll continue to look. In the meantime, I'll continue to shoot my 30 year old CVA Kentucky percussion.

Thanks for all the honest feedback.

Kuhndog

I bought a Traditions Frontier .50 some years ago. The fit and finish are definitely not top of the line. Mine has been an accurate, and reliable rifle. The only problems I've had with it were self inflicted. Would I buy another one?? Yes. I consider mine a beater. Cheap enough that if I trash it, I'm not really out anything. It spends most of it's time leaned up just behind the door facing in the shop. It now looks like the underside of a bulldozer. Weld spatter, dirt, grease, and dings all over it. It's always loaded, only cleaned or oiled after I shoot it, and it still has worked every time I've shot it.
It's not, never was, and never will be, something to be proud to show off. It's a tool, and it's always worked when I called on it.

I would like to have a custom rifle, but I can't justify spending upwards of $2000 for something just to show off. I can understand people that do buy them. It's the same idea as buying a Mercedes, or a Rolls. I can well afford a fancy new vehicle, or a high quality custom rifle, but I drive a 20 year old beater Ford pickup, and have a Traditions rifle. They do the job I ask of them, and that's all I'm interested in.

It's all a matter of what YOU want. If it will do the job you're asking, and makes you happy,why spend more?

I'd say the main thing, is get to shooting. If a show piece gun is what you want, and you can afford one, buy one. I've waited and saved up to buy top line, and ended up regretting all the time I lost waiting to save up enough for the top line stuff. I'd say get the beater, use it to learn with, and while your having fun with it, save up for the show piece.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it!! :haha:

capt_turk said:
I would like to have a custom rifle, but I can't justify spending upwards of $2000 for something just to show off.

That's a little harsh.

Some of us like parts that are well engineered. Showing off has nothing to do with it.

I didn't mean it to be harsh. I'm sure I have a bit different way of thinking than most people today, and I guess you could probably call me a bit of a skin flint.

After spending upwards of $2000 for rifle, I'd be afraid to take it out and actually shoot it for fear of damaging it. It would be strictly a show off piece for me, and would stay in a glass case on the mantle. As an example, I have a $1400 G scale locomotive that has never been run for fear of possibly damaging it. It happens to set in a glass case on the mantle. My cheap-o 2 and 3 hundred dollar locomotives have almost got the wheels worn out from running.

It's just a personal thing with me. I can't see spending a bunch of money on something I would be afraid to use for fear of damaging it unless I was just wanting a show piece. As I stated before, if that's what you want, and can afford, then more power to you.

I can't really afford to buy one built. I could, but I wouldn't appreciate it.

I will buy a quality kit though. The same quality parts as the built guns, but my labor. I won't be afraid to use it, because i'll know I can fix anything that happens to it.

I do see your point though. Some do buy built guns to show off.

I'm also into bamboo fly rods. I see the same thing in that.

I don't mind a high dollar rifle with a little extra attention in the form of super wood, a smattering of engraving, an inlay or two and maybe even a line or two on the stock. I have to be able to take it out and into the woods and shoot it. A rifle like this can easily cost $2000. A really gussied up one is not my style.

Back