• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn’t get any snow today, so I poured up some more .600 round balls for the Chambers .62 smooth bore.

Working on my annual "trekking" video this afternoon....
Doing it now while the water is still warm..
Should have it done in a few weeks..

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 4.33.17 PM.png

Working on my annual "trekking" video this afternoon....
Doing it now while the water is still warm..
Should have it done in a few weeks..

View attachment 250730

Oh man! Don’t take this wrong cause I understand what you’re doing and it’s your gun, but I would never submerge one of my muzzleloaders like that.😬.

I did it a lot with Uncle Sam’s gun, but that was different.

Back at the camp after being home a week. Brought back a bunch of stuff I’d ordered including a square yard of good pillow ticking, which did measure a solid .018. The other SMR in .36/walnut had arrived while home and I have it laid out with the .45/cherry. Also received a set of hollow ground screwdrivers Kibler is selling now. Didn’t really need them but they were a decent price and seem to be well made. Hoping for some rain and cooler weather!

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Oh man! Don’t take this wrong cause I understand what you’re doing and it’s your gun, but I would never submerge one of my muzzleloaders like that.😬.

I did it a lot with Uncle Sam’s gun, but that was different.
Ha! I can laugh about it now, but back then I thought my life would end. I was on a two-week stint at the Army's Jungle Training Land Warfare Centre, Canungra, a young digger at the time, doing an obstacle course over water, monkey bars. The training Bren Gun slipped off my shoulders and submerged in the muddy water below. A fumbling ten-man section found it and I spent the rest of the day getting it squeaky clean for the Regimental Sergeant Major's personal inspection. Frightful.

Well done Maniac Shooter - you are your own personal RSM; we know you'll clean that sucker like there's no tomorrow!

Kind regards, Pete

Doing a week long period trip to the Adirondacks for muzz season in a few weeks. Just finished up a new small light shoulder pouch for myself and some belt pouches for my brigade of hunters. Just enough to carry a few small necessaries.

Attachments

• FE23F16A-1E47-4D17-AD59-A5409B59D34D.jpeg
    FE23F16A-1E47-4D17-AD59-A5409B59D34D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C084EC03-5E88-4F6D-930F-DD0C7791EC3B.jpeg
    C084EC03-5E88-4F6D-930F-DD0C7791EC3B.jpeg
I shot just barely good enough sunday to keep this for another year. Front sight fell off sat afternoon and in a panic I super glued it back on. I was going to use JB weld but the cure time is too long as I wanted to have time to re zero. Sunday I did not shoot well but it was well enough.. sliced my trigger finger cleaning stuck cap and my trigger finger was slippery with blood and stinging from powder in the cut for most of my 25yrd target. it got gross and oozed puss this morning.. My 50 yard target I was having a hard time getting my eyes to focus and the front sight seemed blurry.. I even wiped the front sight several time trying to clean off imaginary debris.. after my 8th shot I realized that my shooting glasses were on the table and I was wearing my driving glasses... wrong prescription... I shot two 10s and an x with the last two balls and the correct glasses... won by 4 points.. Did not to bold print intentionally.. cant figuer out how to make it go back...
IMG_7738.jpg

Last edited:
They should call this forum Enablers.com! I made a sight today. I was spurred on by the many lads who posted on the peep sight thread with their home-made jobbies. I have a beaut sight made by forum member Tom A Hawk, very satisfied with it, but got to thinking to make one of my own. I used a bit of angle bracket steel usually used to set shelves into a cupboard. I drilled the base hole for the through bolt that goes down into the trigger guard and replaced that bolt with one from the local hardware store, cut to the right length. The staff, I drilled out to the same height that has proved accurate with Tom A Hawk's setting (9 mm above the base). I then tapped for the Parker Hale peep that has a wonderful adjustable iris. I blued the lot with Birchwood Casey cold blue after giving all surfaces a going over with medium steel wool.

I'll let you know how it goes Friday. Looks good on the Hawken, to me. Oh, I've kept Tom A Hawk's sight safely at hand for the Pedersoli Tryon, once the eyes are too old for traditional sight competition.

Cheers, Pete

sight1.jpg
sight2.jpg
sight3.jpg

Last edited:
One side rough in and 60 gritted.

One side of the wood shim pinned and epoxied.

Worthless brass nub removed and reshaped.

Too hot to operate that rasp anymore today.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    802.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
  • IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
Had a learning experience today. Before getting back to work on the Cherry stock SMR I wanted to fix an issue with my Clay Smith Trade Gun that had bugged me since completion. When cleaning the gun the patch and jag was grabbing on something at the bottom and I had assumed that it was the edge of the liner protruding out just a touch. Now I had checked this clearance several times during the build, but I figured that when I cranked down on the final tightening a thread edge was exposed. So I Kroiled the barrel overnight and clamped it into the heavy vise in the outside shop. Being so new it wasn’t difficult to unscrew. Brought it back inside and really didn’t see much, if any, of the liner protruding. But running my fingers around I found a fairly substantial flash ring where the threads stopped. Got it cleaned up and back together, all good now. But I should have removed the breech during the build to check all that. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
  • IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
Cry, cry, cry! The best gun range I've ever belonged to (and only 10 minutes from the house) has been shut down by local government for very shady ulterior motives or even the feds may have had a hand in this....just guessing. Anyway, I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to shoot my Hawken at a crappy crowded range and of course next to a guy shooting an unmentionable with a muzzle brake. God bless all of you that can shoot on your own property.

Back