• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I went to the local range to shoot. I was shooting my 'Dance' and great plains single shot. She had her cap and ball snub nose. At the all clear to change targets, a young 20 years old girl came up and asked what we were shooting that made smoke. We explained it was the black powder revolvers and then she asked about the great plains cap and ball. Her boyfriend was behind her and he showed an interest. I told her she could try it out and she was a bit tentative. When it was clear to continue shooting I loaded powder in the pistol. Then my wife tapped me on the shoulder and told me to look right. The girl was there wanting to try the pistol. I explained that the powder was already in the barrel and how the ball and patch went in. I told her the cap provided the spark to fire the pistol. She grabbed it, and with two hands, fired the pistol, with the ball going over the target into the bern. She turned around with wide eyes and when asked if she wanted to shoot again, said 'once was enough'. As they were leaving they introduced themselves and my wife and I hope to see them again.
oh....my wife explained that we also shoot long arms, flintlocks. The young girl had no idea what a flintlock is nor who davy crockett was. :rolleyes:

I finally got around to a range trip to check and sight the two guns I'll e using during elk season. Opens this Saturday the 9th. Two guns cause if something goes haywire I have a back up. My GPR had not been shot for two years when I loaned it to a grandson for deer. Memory said he had it set up for 70 grains.

The other rifle is a TC Hawken that is bored to 54 by Bob Hoyt. I shoot identical loads in both guns. Same powder, same patch, same lube.

The GPR has a GM 1:70 twist barrel. Load for both is Scheutzen 3f 90 grains, Joanne #40 drill, and for this season #11 rem caps. I have about 50 CCI #11s and a full hundred of the Rems. I have a lot of my DIY caps which are proven but I have yet to make a satisfactory capper to fit them.

20230906_183529_copy_800x600.jpg

First up was the GPR. At 25 yards and benched. It was a bit high and left so I brought it down a bit and worked it over to the right a bit with three separate adjustments. Didn't get it centered vertically but this will do. Unlikely that my eyes will allow more than a 50 yard shot. Anything longer will have to be a perfect set up with a perfect rest!

On this target the group below the preliminary is ten shots with three sight adjustments it was kinda stubborn about moving horizontally. 😳

20230906_134145_copy_600x800.jpg

Called that good. It will be the backup and may never be loaded.

Here's the primary, the TC. I had set this up to shoot 50 gr for a mid August shoot so I loaded up with the 90 gr to see where it would go. The second shot was that high one and I pretty much Called it high so took a third and was satisfied at what adjustments were needed to center it up. Made the adjustments and the four in the white were just what I wanted. Temperature was hitting 95f so time to go home and clean.

20230906_134012_copy_600x800.jpg

Hopefully the elk will cooperate! :)

I finally got around to a range trip to check and sight the two guns I'll e using during elk season. Opens this Saturday the 9th. Two guns cause if something goes haywire I have a back up. My GPR had not been shot for two years when I loaned it to a grandson for deer. Memory said he had it set up for 70 grains.

The other rifle is a TC Hawken that is bored to 54 by Bob Hoyt. I shoot identical loads in both guns. Same powder, same patch, same lube.

The GPR has a GM 1:70 twist barrel. Load for both is Scheutzen 3f 90 grains, Joanne #40 drill, and for this season #11 rem caps. I have about 50 CCI #11s and a full hundred of the Rems. I have a lot of my DIY caps which are proven but I have yet to make a satisfactory capper to fit them.

View attachment 250992

First up was the GPR. At 25 yards and benched. It was a bit high and left so I brought it down a bit and worked it over to the right a bit with three separate adjustments. Didn't get it centered vertically but this will do. Unlikely that my eyes will allow more than a 50 yard shot. Anything longer will have to be a perfect set up with a perfect rest!

On this target the group below the preliminary is ten shots with three sight adjustments it was kinda stubborn about moving horizontally. 😳

View attachment 250993

Called that good. It will be the backup and may never be loaded.

Here's the primary, the TC. I had set this up to shoot 50 gr for a mid August shoot so I loaded up with the 90 gr to see where it would go. The second shot was that high one and I pretty much Called it high so took a third and was satisfied at what adjustments were needed to center it up. Made the adjustments and the four in the white were just what I wanted. Temperature was hitting 95f so time to go home and clean.

View attachment 250994

Hopefully the elk will cooperate! :)
Good shooting, Longcruise. All the best with your adventures! Shoot straight, take the time to enjoy the journey.

Pete

Cry, cry, cry! The best gun range I've ever belonged to (and only 10 minutes from the house) has been shut down by local government for very shady ulterior motives or even the feds may have had a hand in this....just guessing. Anyway, I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to shoot my Hawken at a crappy crowded range and of course next to a guy shooting an unmentionable with a muzzle brake. God bless all of you that can shoot on your own property.
Yep, two years after Jan. 6 th they are still arresting people. That is what happened to my gun range owner. Two tours overseas, years as a cop, serving his country and community and this is his reward? Not right!

today is just starting so this is yesterdays disaster. tried pouring a new nose cap on my whatsit never ending project. three tries and couldn't get it to fill out. going to try once more today. if it fails again i am going to just splice on some wood and call it a day.

Taking a break from the stock.

Since the rifle will be painted a dark orange, thank you Clay Smith, the nose cap is being round filed.

Target front sight brought to final shape and installed. Nose cap screws red loctited in place. Heads need to be cut off and filed down.

New stock nose tenon installed and stock relieved. Hate drilling those holes on already rounded fore ends.

Attachments

• IMG_3245.JPG
    IMG_3245.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3248.JPG
    IMG_3248.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3252.JPG
    IMG_3252.JPG