• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use corn meal in my cap 'n ball cartridges, and was trying to come up with some way of using that with the Minie balls. I made a couple cartridges with the recessed bases filled, but it's probably not enough meal, and also kind of iffy whether it actually ends up sitting on top of the powder under the ball.

I wonder if it's feasible to make a paper cartridge with three envelopes (one containing the meal)?
Maybe it's feasible; I don't make paper cartridges (yet?). I just drop my measured powder down the barrel in the usual manner, no drop tube, giving the rifled musket a few stout taps down near the action to settle the powder. Next, I drop the scoop of semolina down the muzzle, again rapping the side of the musket to settle the filler. Then down goes the pre-lubed minie. A three-layered exploding parfait! :D

Premade cartridges look cool though.

Pete

Thank you for the kind words. I find it is a good way to relax and it also keeps me from doing things that I get in trouble for. I see you are from Colorado. I was a member of the St Vrain Muzzle Loading Club out of Longmont, CO and shot with the Buckhorn Skinners out of Masonville back in the 70s-90s.
I think the St Vrain club has faded away but not certain. The Skinners continue to go strong and shoot regularly and also put on their annual squirrel shoot which draws attention of shooters.

The Fort Lupton Muzzle Loading Club (FLMLC) is very strong and runs several regular shoots per month as well as hosting, along with the Skinners, the annual state shoot. The FLMLC range is on the property of the South Platte Valley Historical Society (SPVHS). Also sharing the SPVHS property is the Tallow River Trappers (TRT). The TRT does several events throughout the year most notably the Frozen Toes in mid winter and Tapper Days in September.

We are aging out to a great extent but we are now seeing more younger families participating in ml activities. We ain't dead yet! 😀

Thanks! The results of literally throwing myself down the rabbit hole. A kashtuk .62 fowler, a Jim Chamberlain .58 lehigh, a Jackie Brown .54 virginia and a .50 Kibler woodsrunner. The .54 lyman GPR will probably be looking for a new home to help pay for the others and to thin the herd, LOL.
thats a great collection.thank you for posting

Put some balls through my .54 cal Lyman trade rifle, that I had acquired this Spring. The results were somewhat disappointing, compared to my first outing with it. Very impressed with the trigger, though.

My new (to me!) Jukar Plains Rifle was failing to go onto full cock although out of the stock, the lock worked fine. I have received a lot of good advice over the last few days on how to rectify this, and fellow forum member @necchi actually diagnosed the precise problem this morning:
necchi said:
'Well, Got it, Thank's
I just saw that you are in France! You guy's have a different market then we have the in USA!!
You actually have a fine rifle,, Ardessa was/is the current supplier.
None the less, your troubles have to do with the wood being compressed from decades of use and abuse.
As mentioned, shim the front of the trigger,,,, it's the screw that goes through the stock,, the tang bolt,, that has caused the compression,,
Drop the trigger guard, remove the tang bolt,, then fit a shim under the place the tang bolt fits,, hope that helps,'
On dissembling the stock, lock and trigger etc, I noticed that the wood had indeed compacted and partially crumbled resulting in the whole trigger mechanism being depressed. I replaced the lost wood with an epoxy based substance(Milliput) and placed a shim made from a filed stainless steel washer to raise the trigger assembly. Hey presto, the rifle now works fine!

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_100524.jpg
    IMG_20231010_100524.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_111652.jpg
    IMG_20231010_111652.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_122720.jpg
    IMG_20231010_122720.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Since the previous thread was shut down (locked) by our new moderator, I thought I would start one up again, as per the suggestion.
So, let's get this thread going again, and share your muzzleloading related adventures of the day!
I've had this rifle for years tho I've only started shooting it last couple of years, I took the time to remove the aftermarket hotshot nipple.
Before installing the correct one, she got the a full bath and oiling. She looks good for a 30 year old. Lol

Attachments

• 20231009_123632.jpg
    20231009_123632.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231009_123302.jpg
    20231009_123302.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I use corn meal in my cap 'n ball cartridges, and was trying to come up with some way of using that with the Minie balls. I made a couple cartridges with the recessed bases filled, but it's probably not enough meal, and also kind of iffy whether it actually ends up sitting on top of the powder under the ball.

I wonder if it's feasible to make a paper cartridge with three envelopes (one containing the meal)?
I like using Cream of wheat for my Ruger Old Army loads, it has worked well for me.

Put some balls through my .54 cal Lyman trade rifle, that I had acquired this Spring. The results were somewhat disappointing, compared to my first outing with it. Very impressed with the trigger, though.
I also have a Lyman Trade Gun and it has a great trigger. Take it over a set trigger any day.

Latest posts

Back