• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tiring flys and she couldn’t stand the smell of the head cement so she told me to order a shed

Well if you were to be making arrows and using a feather burner you might be living in a whole different house 🏠 😉 That's the only thing that I've done that set my spouse off. That's now an outdoor project. Other than that she tolerates my foolishness Other than complaining about my messes.

Today I had barely bellied up to the bench and I was sent on errands. Was able to turn it to muzzle loading by popping into Jo-Ann's and picking up two yards of #40. Going to go put it in the dryer now.

Ohh..almost forgot. I did a little bullet sizing experiment for a different thread but not going into that here.

Took the SMR to the 100 yd range to zero the new sights at that distance. Coming from modern and military rifles, it's rather amusing to discover a drop of eight inches from zeroed at 50 yds to where it first prints at 100 yds. But took care of that to my satisfaction with some fairly aggressive filing in multiple steps, then headed over to 200 yds to take a couple SWAG shots at the torso-sized steel, but with the wind direction blowing the pan smoke right into my face, I couldn't see where I was hitting, and so called it a successful day anyway, and headed home.

Took a short old school trip too the woods today..

79320E15-B1D6-4700-96A7-F41D06F9B80B.jpeg
9103FA22-6DF2-44C1-956B-E44FC5095943.jpeg

I shot the .375 M/L today.
It's 1: 16 twist.
My efforts at PP are improving, learning all the time.
Decent Paper (actually anything BP ) is very hard to come by here in Oz, especially different thicknesses so bullet size is critical.
Have been lapping out a Lee bullet sizer (done it several times before ) but this one seems to be harder than usual. Finding if I don't roll them just right, too loose, they are tight to get down.
If the bullet doesn't go down the barrel smoothly, I know it's going to be off the group. My cleaning ritual has to be right for it to shoot well.
Why bother ??
This old girl was made locally about 40 years ago, ( its a nostalgia thing ), has been shot a lot and the inside of the barrel is only fair. GG bullets give trouble. We'll get there. 👍🇦🇺
Hey Dusty Rhodes! You probably may be aware of these two suppliers in Australia? CBE has paper in stock that I find very good to use. Also check out Viceroy Books, click on the shooting supplies on the left-hand side of the screen and explore his products; a good lad to deal with too.

Kind regards, Pete

(I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here, if so, in advance, my apologies)

Paper for Dusty Rhodes.JPG
Stuff for Dusty Rhodes.JPG

Last edited:
today was a repeat of yesterday. Finally got the tang extension welded up for the breech plug on the GM barrel i am cussin.......... working on!
ups showed up with a cherry half stock i bought from a member. now the decision as whether i use the barrel and hardware from my patched together whatzit.30 or splurge for another barrel. there is a 13/16th's .40 cal GM for sale that has me glassy eyed. i would like to do it in .32 as i have a gang mold for that. suppose i could always sell the .40 and build the next one .32.

Scouted for a place to hunt in the upcoming ML season a little over a week away.

Today I plan on returning to one location I found to put up trail markers so I can find the spot in the dark. Also need to trim a few limbs out of way.

Ordered some percussion nipples from track of the wolf. My cci caps didn't fit some nipples I had . track has some that stated that cci caps would fit these nipples. Good luck to all you muzzleloader hunters!!!

1) Replaced middle band on my Colt Special 1861 to address loose band. Had to to deblue and polish the band I got from
DGW; also did some milling to allow passage of ramrod on tighter band.

2) Working on paper cartridge variations for same rifle musket to incorparate a cerial "filler" between powder and Minie ball.

Weather is deteriorating so won't get a chance to test paper cartridges for several days.

I hate these patience tests ....

Hooraw.....Haven't been able to touch any M/L since March , due to sick wife , with two Covid heart attacks since June. Got to the range yesterday and fired shots at 50 Yds. and 25Yds. to check if my flint deer rifle was still working. Going to camp to hunt Pa. early flint deer season. Excited. Wife already has the pressure on me to get some meat.

Latest posts

Back