• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainy few days in South Texas, got tired of looking at the horrible green color and shiny finish on a Matt Avance .62 that I picked up. He must have used chromium trioxide back in the day. I heard it was a thing a good while back. So, I took it apart and started scraping, It went faster than sanding and left less of a mess. Used some Kiblers iron nitrate, and blushed, a couple of times, then put the first coat of Clay Smith's magic stock finishing oil on it. It turned out better than expected, not perfect by any means, but better than it was.
While I had some ambition left, tapered a ramrod for my 10 gauge doglock. The one that came with it was too short. Tapering that ramrod from 1/2" to a little less than 3/8" took a lot longer than I expected. Oh, well. Finished it with the same stuff while it was on the table.
Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_3832[1].JPG
    IMG_3832[1].JPG
    2 MB
  • IMG_3833[1].JPG
    IMG_3833[1].JPG
    1.9 MB
I have only ever used regular PLA and have never used it for anything that will be under load or be required to hold a heavy weight. Have you used the PLA+ for holding up heavier loads? Sure don’t want a nice rifle to come down!
This'll be my first print that will be holding something to the wall. Originally, I used 10% infill on a test part and was surprised at how sturdy it felt so I made another, PLA+ is supposed to have better mechanical properties than regular PLA. Once I get them mounted to the wall I'm going to put some weights in a couple backpacks before hanging the rifle up there to be safe, though I expect it'll be more than strong enough even with this low % of infill. All of the shear force will be about 1" from the wall, the outside of the hook is mostly to keep the rifle from rolling out.

Last edited:
Moving a little slow today, but I got a plug turned for the powder horn. Ended up using a piece of Sycamore that’s been sitting a couple of years. The wood works good. Still have to turn the stopper.
I have 14 sycamores. Made a kitchen counter out of quarter sawn sycamore. It is a world of difference from flat sawn! Like to see that plug when you put a finish to it.

My used pedersoli frontier .54 I bought a couple months back needed shortened a bit as the LOP was 14.50. I took my gun to Larry Cordray, muzzleloading gunsmith, and he shortened the stock to 13.50 and we put on a taller rear sight and widened and deepened the notch so the front sight was less blurry. (I'm not crazy about the buckhorn sights that come on their guns.) I finished sewing a ball bag for the .54 roundball, (.520) cut and greased the .017 pillow ticking patches and candy striped the ramrod. Looking forward to shooting the rifle today for the first time.

bag and patches.JPG
ramrod.JPG

Sighted in the trusty old deer M/L after some time spent in the closet.

View attachment 267502 I'll take it. The rifle shoots better than I can anyway
How long were you in the closet? 😀😅😂 Sorry, Felonious, I'm an English teacher. Man, I think it's time to retire!

Stunning targets. Congrats!

Pete

This'll be my first print that will be holding something to the wall. Originally, I used 10% infill on a test part and was surprised at how sturdy it felt so I made another, PLA+ is supposed to have better mechanical properties than regular PLA. Once I get them mounted to the wall I'm going to put some weights in a couple backpacks before hanging the rifle up there to be safe, though I expect it'll be more than strong enough even with this low % of infill. All of the shear force will be about 1" from the wall, the outside of the hook is mostly to keep the rifle from rolling out.
I also have read that PLA+ is stronger - good idea to test it for awhile. I would be interested in hearing about your results after you have tested strength for awhile.:thumb:

How long were you in the closet? 😀😅😂 Sorry, Felonious, I'm an English teacher. Man, I think it's time to retire!

Pete

Great you teaching English to winging poms…. They seem to understand English in Perth ha ha. Just taking the pee. I love beautiful Perth and the people. Long flight at 80 , years go by , they don’t like guns and hunting in WA but there’s nothing to shoot, goats and dogs,????? Never seen any as far up as Exmouth or down south , I would not shoot a rue, love them ha ha

I was contemplating a £120 bid on this .6 ml just for the bits , but military locks a bit ugly. Holts auction uk.

Pete

Attachments

• A71D3E17-D1CD-4841-BE7E-73E15F896001.jpeg
    A71D3E17-D1CD-4841-BE7E-73E15F896001.jpeg
    312.4 KB
I finished the Long Fowler that I have been working on for several weeks. I am pretty happy with how it came out. More pics here: Finishing A Fowler Build
Holy cow! An absolutely beautiful job in record time. First rate! Between this and your horn work, do you ever sleep? I really enjoyed following this. Thank you for sharing!

Holy cow! An absolutely beautiful job in record time. First rate! Between this and your horn work, do you ever sleep? I really enjoyed following this. Thank you for sharing!
I’m glad you’ve been enjoying this thread/ it’s been a great experience finishing up this project. I did get some helpful suggestions here about the biggest challenge of getting a lock similar in shape and pan location to work with the mortise Gallaghan had already cut. But it came out pretty well.
As to my horn work- yup. Have a few ready to begin this afternoon 😀

It's intentional as a decorative thing. I'm going to school for 3D design, so I'm very much stumbling my way through the software. I wanted it to be a pointed hook but couldn't figure out how to cut that bit out properly. Version 2 will have that and a longer lower hook when I get around to it 😆
Nice "stumbling"!

Working on making a barrel flushing fitting for the cva Kentucky.

First I shortened the Allan headed screw for length. Then drilled it with a 5/64 bit. Easy to center going in although it popped out a little off. Not a fail, just an imperfection. 😀

View attachment 268739View attachment 268740
After a little thread cleanup it seems to have an ok length with the 0 ring in place.

View attachment 268754

I had hoped that the clamp I'd purchased for the project would work but it was immediately apparent that the clearance would not be adequate. Hmmm why didn't I see that coming!

If the tubing were tight enough to remain in place this would have been a done deal but it would not. Solution: some thin wire twisted into a clamp.

View attachment 268764

That oughta work, eh? NOT! Even this clamp solution wouldn't work. This tiny protruding piece of twisted wire came into interference with the stock before the 0 ring snugged up. I'm forgiving myself for not seeing this coming 😪

View attachment 268767

Here's how a Commercially made fitting looks. This one 1/4 × 28 so it's a no go on the CVA.

View attachment 268769

So, I think it can be done right with a headless Allan screw and smaller tube that will attach better to the protruding threads.

I'll be baaaaack!
You'll get it! Always fun reinventing the wheel.

Back